Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Battery Mod Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Battery Mod Question

Hey guys, quick question:

On my RS10, I'm thinking of getting a higher capacity 6 or maybe 7 cell stick battery pack, probably along the lines of 3000mah nimh. Is there any real modifications that have to be done to use a stick pack in there instead of the brick pack? I would run it like I see some people doing by putting it through the stock bettery holder. So are any mods to the battery holder necessary???
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

There are pics of people useing a stick battery in the stock location by making custom skid plates or clamping them in. when i went to a stick setup I mounted mine on the front axle, and it works pretty well.
newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Velcro straps are a useful way of strapping a stick pack in. Personally I think stick packs take up way too much room and they're impractical if you upgrade to a cooler chassis later on or make your own...because then you have to figure out mounting for such a large battery. I prefer 2/3 A sized saddle packs or even a lipo. They're smaller and out of the way.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Do yourself a favor. spend a little extra coin and go with a 7.4v 2cell lipo. there smaller, lighter, and you will see a noticable dif in power from your underpowered stock motors. it will also lower you cg. it WELL worth the extra money.
FSJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJCRAWLER View Post
Do yourself a favor. spend a little extra coin and go with a 7.4v 2cell lipo. there smaller, lighter, and you will see a noticable dif in power from your underpowered stock motors. it will also lower you cg. it WELL worth the extra money.
I've considered doing this..however I've got a Duratrax Onyx 200 charger for NiCad & NiMh batteries that have 4-7 cells, so I'll probably stay with NiMh. Although, I've heard my local hobby shop has some of the Traxxas 8.4v 3000mah packs on sale right now so I may go that route for added run times and a little more performance.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

1. Unbolt lower chassis plate
2. Take angle grinder and cut off the part that stops the battery from sliding back.
3. Use rubber bands, zip ties, or velcro to secure stick pack. Use rubber bands and stock retainer to secure stock battery pack.

This mod also lowers your center of gravity.

92gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gsr View Post
1. Unbolt lower chassis plate
2. Take angle grinder and cut off the part that stops the battery from sliding back.
3. Use rubber bands, zip ties, or velcro to secure stick pack. Use rubber bands and stock retainer to secure stock battery pack.

This mod also lowers your center of gravity.

WOW!!! Thank you very much for the help.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #8

Default battery tray/acrylic skid plate

I run an acrylic battery tray and skid combo for the stock chassis. It slides over the rocks better than delrin like most people run. With it being harder plastic it doesn't gouge and glides over most obstacles.

We are working on making some more and can get you one of the proto types. We should be putting a thread up by the end of the week with pics of some of the pieces we are making for the rs10's

Last edited by FroadnFab; 04-14-2010 at 09:45 PM.
FroadnFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroadnFab View Post
we are actually starting to manufacture acrylic battery trays and skid combos for the stock chassis since there are so many people that want to run stick or lipo batteries. It also slides over the rocks better than delrin like most people run. With it being harder plastic it doesn't gouge and glides over most obstacles.

If you want more info im me or dinocrawler and we can get you one of the proto types. We should be putting a thread up by the end of the week with pics of some of the pieces we are making for the rs10's

Just want to give you a heads up. there very touchy about non vendors posting up for sale items on here. read through the forum rules and you will see it.
FSJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Just want to give you a heads up. there very touchy about non vendors posting up for sale items on here. read through the forum rules and you will see it.
thanks for the heads up I'll definately keep that in mind in the future.
FroadnFab is offline   Reply With Quote