Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: motor fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default motor fire

so yesterday i was out crawling and my brand new hh 454 caught on fire. i know they run a bit hot so i let them cool inbetween packs. i was on my second battery thru it and then fire. i am pretty pissed off about this. i spent over $80 on these motors and the rear one is already cooked. so not really sure if any one else has had this problem but i will probably just go back to the stock motors because i know they will at least last. i emailed hh just a min ago so we will see what they say and what they will do i really think that they should replace the motor for me free of carge cause this is BS.

Brent
redcatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Hopefully they'll take care of the problem. I can't imagine a motor catching on fire...I know my motors run hot too, but every so often I'll take a 5-10 min break and let mine cool down. Might be something to do in the future.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i do stop everyonce and awhile my batteries only last about 15-20 min so i give it a break then.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I couldn't be more happy with my holmes hobbies 454's and I bought mine used for 45 bux after shipping.
Matter of fact I ran them today and spun that teflon 10 tooth pinion I put on it and the damn thing was still crawling with the rear wheel drive only.

I need bent links and a skid plate... OH ya and a metal 8,9,or 10 tooth pinion.

As good as a company as they are I'm sure you two can work something out.

Later
Rich
armalite_ar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thats gnarly.Are all your connections and wires heat shrinked??? Did any wires come in contact during the run???? I had a NICAD battery burn up during a run when I was still running the stock metal battery tray. I did a drop and cased the metal skid and it cracked the plastic wrap on the battery and it burned up super savage. Did you get pics of the fire or carnage??? I would love to see them if you did.
Santa Cruz Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Now, you said "fire", but did you just mean smoke? Or were there visible flames? I have had a motor smoke on me before and it was just a problem with the epoxy around the windings...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

nope not just smoke most definately saw some flamage. i did not get any pics unfortunately i was way too worried about loosing my rig. but i am in contact with the holmes guys so hopefully they will hook me up. good idea for everyone with these motors keep them cool take lots of breaks. well hope no one else has this problem.

Brent
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
jwo
Rock Crawler

thats a shame, contact hh. they are known for running hot. those must have gotten really hot. i do not own them but hh has the best of the best.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote