Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: going to brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question going to brushless

well i ordered my self a rs10 and being the wiley person i am i started researching mods long before even ordering it and for the most part the mods for this seem fairly easy accept the motor issue. it seems that the selection for motors is kinda slim. im not new to the rc world but new to the rock crawling portion of it. i have built a few stadium trucks but never dealt with anything with dual motors.

that being said i was on ckrc looking for some motor options and the only decent thing i saw was the novak mongoose brushless system. now my question is does anyone know if its possible to bridge 2 motors to one esc. or is the only option runing 2 esc.s powered in perellel? i was going to test this out my self but its kinda pricey to just start trying to fry shtuff with so i figured i would ask around.
any input would be great.

thanx
talon
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I've never seen anyone run 2 brushless motors on 1 ESC...so I'm not sure that it's possible. Personally, I don't think brushless is necessary and even though the motor choices are slim, there are still some good motors for these rigs. You could get a pair of nice holmes hobbies or cobalt motors and a good ESC for probably less than you'll be paying for a pair of brushless systems.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ya true but i was just thinking over long term. i know with my comp stadium trucks i was eather replacing brushes like crazy or motors. and figured brushless might be a good long term money saver sense theres no need to replace brushes and from what i have read brushless motors seem to last a very long time with almost no change in performance.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You cant run dual brushless motor from one ESC.You will have to run 2 ESCs. I have talked to the guys at Novak and nobody makes a dual brushless ESC. I was still thinking of that setup for my RS. The Mongoose system is only like $90 so 2 of them will only be like $180 which is less than most good 540 brushless combos. When you set them up you will have to make sure to program all profiles exactly the same on each ESC to have it work properly. It will probably be savage. My Novak system in my Creeper is unreal. Do it for sure, you will have the first dual brushless RS10 anywhere.That might just be the ultimate RS upgrade .
Santa Cruz Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ya thats what i have thought. i use all novak parts in my stadium trucks and have been the best investment with those by far. and as far as matching the programs in the mongoose setup they already have 4 preset programs and 2 of them are crawler spacific. so that would be a sinch. i was just hoping to save a little coin with not having to buy 2 full kits. well we will see how it goes it should be here the middle of next week and im going to start on the basic or "cheap" mods first and then go from there. but i will probably wind up doing the dual mongoose setup just for the sake of not wanting to deal with brushes anymore. i did about 10 years of comp stadium truck racing and changing brshes every run gets old.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

oh and i was looking more into the mongoose setup and noticed that the crawler setings are only available in the mongoose crawler pkg with the 18.5t motor so if
someone wanted to get that and change it to a 13.5t you cant because the crawler esc. limit is 18.5t. so you would have too get one of the other micro mongoose setups that dont have the preprogrammed crawler setings.
just an fyi for anyone looking into this option.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That mongoose will have stupid amounts of power. My Goat 3 blows out Venom tranmission gears all the time so be careful with the throttle on the RS gears. Metal ones will soon be available though. I think that just a basic Y harness on the battery and to each ESC will work fine but for programming you will need to do each one seperately then plug them together and run it. Does the Mongoose have a cutoff built in or do you have to wire one in ???? The pricing wont be that bad CKRC has the combo for $90 so thats only $180 for both motors and ESCs. Do it man if it works for you I'm up next on that setup. The brushless will air the truck over hard sections.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

No on the 13.5. 18.5 is perfect for crawling. Any less is dumb I tried it on my Creeper and it sucked. I thought you were talking about the Mongoose Crawler Right???? I know they still need programing since it has 10 step braking and several throttle profiles just like the Goat has. The regular Mongoose would be totally worthless for crawling. Get the Crawler specific one or you will be dissapointed guaranteed
Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ya thats what i was figuring i just see all these guys wanting more wheel speed so i figured i would give a heads up so they didnt blow the money lol.
as far as the mongoose i dont think programing them will be an issue as the 4 main profiles are preset parameters and its prety much just push a button to change them. they are just mini versions of the goats with the capability of using lipo batt. with a built in battery recognition system. so you can use any battery with them as well.
This ESC is compatible with 4-9 NiMH or 2-3S Li-Po cells. Novak’s exclusive Smart-Stop LiPo Cut-Off Circuitry is built-in and when active (see programming on reverse side to turn ON/OFF), it automatically switches to the proper Li-Po cut-off voltage for the battery packs you connect.
This circuitry lets you safely use 2S or 3S Lithium Polymer battery packs by cutting off the speed control’s throttle output when a critical safety voltage is reached (6.25V for 2S and 9.375V for 3S).
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

so in short novak has out done them selves again and i will be looking to do this upgrade in the near future and post my results and critique on doing this mod.
i will probable wait till the metal gear kit comes to the market before doing this setup just to save the broken gear nightmare. but i will beat the hell outa the stock gears with the mongoose before installing the metal gears just to see what they can take. partly just because i like breaking sh!t and im good at it lol.

Last edited by talon0713; 04-17-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 04-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ya just did more reading the throttle profiles are pretty much preset unless u want to get fancy with it and the drag brake is default set to 3.5% for brushless and you can go0 in and change it if you feel the need to have more drag brake/hill brake.

and yes i was refering to the crawler specific mongoose....

Last edited by talon0713; 04-17-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Put in the order today bro. Just do it . If it works for you I'm on board. The brushless will give you way more torque also.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I wish my Novak cutoff on my RS would do both, it only does 7.4. My Goat on the other hand just knows.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ya im going to do it soon just cant do it right now cause i just threw 600$ at my hilux for a 3" suspension lift too. and no its not an rc lol. i do real crawling too lol.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

well i just did a little bit of comparing between some different motors and noticed that alot of the motors dont show any performance specs to compare.. wth is up with that??? but i did find some and the mongoose seems to hold a really close rating to alot of the 540 brushed motors and even better then most. and not quite as good as some of the brushless 540's but still competitive with them if a good driver is behind the stick. so this would be a really solid option for making these a good comp rig and fairly inexpensive vs. doing a 540 conversion and spending your life savings in building a good 540 motor setup. so im hoping to put this monster idea to the test alot sooner then later, just in spite of all these big axial and berg guys that like bashing on these rigs and show em what the true potential of these things are.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

They have lots of potiental. Check out some of the pics I'v posted on the pic thread and some of the older pic posts. The RS can and will crawl some gnarly lines. The metal gears will be crucial, and I think the Mongoose crawler will be key to the torque and wheelspeed problem. Alot of my bros have the real deal as well, Hollister hills { Tank Trap,mini Rubicon} is only 45 min away and the real Rubicon is only like 3 hours away. WAY CHEAPER to run the RCs though.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Check out Hollister Hills on Youtube. Lots of 4x4 and crawler vids as well as tons of footage of the dirtbike side. Theres some funny video of $100 hill. Thats my hill. I found it and named it. Lots of crash footage of guys weeding themselves on that one
Old 04-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

ya rc's are definatlly cheaper to run lol. and i will check those vids out.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

rc's are soo much cheaper. @9mpg in my high comp (11.5:1)91oct + 100oct mix $$$-big block, mud boggin, ditch pig, driving on the road- you can imagine what she cost playing on a weeekend! rc's kinda makes my wife happy now if i can only stop buying turbos for my vdubs
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

mine isnt quite that expensive yet lol. i still got a 22r in my hilux so i get about 14 mpg in 87 oct. with more then enough low end torque to crawl up anything i put in front of it. it has epressed everyone in my crawler club. but still doing the never ending fab and do-dads gets expensive lol.