Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how water resistant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Default how water resistant?

hey i was just wondering how water resistant the brushed motors are? i have only ever owned brushless stuff i know they are waterproof but are the brushed? and what are you guys doint to the stock electronics to keep them dry?
rushton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

From what I understand brushed motors are waterproof. I run an xl5 waterproof and if you plan on goin in the water you will want to wrap your servos in a baloon and tape the end shut. Also make sure there is no hole in the wheels, because water in your foams is no good.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

your brushed motors are good to go just need to clean them when your done running in the water and re oil the bearings as it makes the motor wear much faster if you dont
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i actually run Cut 2.2 mudslingers on my water/mud truck with no foam at all...and it works flawless, i make the truck as light as possible and put some nice size holes in the wheels so that way the water gets in and keeps the truck from floating away since it is so light, my frist trip in water its alittle light but as soon as that water gets in man my truck never gets stuck i also use the xl5 waterproof, then i plastidip my servos. i also run a dig on my truck i run in 2wd all the time then when i get stuck i engaged the dig for 4wd, sure makes it sooo much more fun.
MaxxCrawler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

i have seen people run balloons zip tied and sealed with silicon(if its air tight you are good to go), plastic dip, liquid electrical tape. little Rubbermaid containers, dialectic grease, and hobby boxes like from radio shack. ae also has some kind of slime that you put around you servo where the horn connects to. you want to make sure you get your batteries covered as well as your wiring i generally water proof all my stuff, even if i have no intentions of water logging it. better safe then sorry. one bad move by a stream or by water and bye bye.i use the liquid electrical tape. few good coats and you are good to go. even though you water prrof, you will still want to inspect it from time to time. after a while this stuff can crack and let water in. if your doing an esc dont cover heat sinks or anything that dissipates heat.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #6

ok everyone talked about the servos but are the stock esc and reciever waterproof?
rushton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton123 View Post
ok everyone talked about the servos but are the stock esc and reciever waterproof?
no, put the reciver in a baloon or a condom, grease up the esc really well(you will need to pull the case apart to do this), and dip or grease the servo well
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote