Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: noob rs10 "build"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default noob rs10 "build"

i found rccrawler while google searching about the rs10 and decided to join.

this is my 2nd crawler, my first was the rs10s big brother. i got rid of it to get some parts for my car. i only had it long enough to learn the basics, and had no desire to mod it.

i have done quite a bit of back reading on rccrawler the last few days and am ready to start tinkering with the rs10.

so far i have removed the foams and added fishing line weight to the wheels (about 7oz each in the front and about 2.5oz each in the rear). lowered and trimmed the body to fit.

so far i plan to get new servo arms, axial bent link, 4 link it, and get a nissan titan body. i want to later on get new tires and servos (after i do more research)

couple pics...

blindsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looking good so far. might want to ditch the tires too... maybe go with rovers or panthers of some kind... huge traction difference lol. also check out zno-rc.com they have some great product exclusivity for rs10's for a really good price. also axial hi steer knuckles work great on them. just some tips lol.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Welcome! Looks like you're off to a good start with your plans for your rig. The biggest advice I have is to read through the RS10 section, especially the official tips and tricks thread and you'll find plenty of info. Another thing I would suggest is to tackle the necessary upgrades first...such as new tires and better servo(s)...then worry about less important ones such as bent links. I would also suggest not getting new servo horns until you get servos for the simple reason that if you buy nice aluminum ones chances are they might not fit the new servo. Other than that, let us know if you have any questions.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

My first mods was servos an tires. the servos dont turn well until the truck rolls a bit and the tires are hard as a brick.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Off to a good start. I've got to find some body post extensions so I can mount my Bronco body on mine. But like stated above, servos should be first along with tires. Personally, I went with Hitec 645mg servos found cheap on eBay and also got aluminum horns for them. Also, to stay on the cheap I did the WD40 mod to the stock tires and star-cut the foams...definitely better performance over stock and cost nothing. Best of luck on your build.
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

looking good so far!! Ya tires and servos are a must IMO.. i went with the hitec645mg also and love em and went with the rovers blue dot with some custom foam from a 2" mattress seems to work perfect and fills in the tires nicely and wrapped some solder wire in the inside of the rims..Ive 4 linked it also but havent eliminated the "Bat wing" yet...God luck on ur build and keep the progress pics coming!!
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7989 View Post
Off to a good start. I've got to find some body post extensions so I can mount my Bronco body on mine. But like stated above, servos should be first along with tires. Personally, I went with Hitec 645mg servos found cheap on eBay and also got aluminum horns for them. Also, to stay on the cheap I did the WD40 mod to the stock tires and star-cut the foams...definitely better performance over stock and cost nothing. Best of luck on your build.
PM'd u sir. So we wouldnt hijack this guys thread
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

thanks everybody, i guess i will get servos first, after i fix my car
blindsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsnyper View Post
thanks everybody, i guess i will get servos first, after i fix my car
You could even buy the servos one at a time if you're on a low budget. Unless you just use the rear steer all the time, you should be fine replacing the front one first, then the rear. Or you could lock the rear out like a lot of us have.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You could even buy the servos one at a time if you're on a low budget. Unless you just use the rear steer all the time, you should be fine replacing the front one first, then the rear. Or you could lock the rear out like a lot of us have.
Must agree, replaced the front servo after about a week of use. Actually as soon as I put the rovers on the front it went out.... Rovers and the new servo made a very noticable difference...
jacks766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #11

Default 645 Servo horns

I've been running the 645 for awhile now and it comes with a couple pretty decent horns. The aluminum ones are nice, but are probably unnecessary with a 645.

I would recommend tires (rovers) and a servo before anything else as well.

I wouldn't worry about putting a better special servo on the back axle, cause you'll probably end up locking out the steering down the road.
gvpjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #12

My thought would be servo's. I bought 2 RS-10's, one for me and one for my son. And the servos were dust in about 20 minutes of run time. And as soon as we replaced them. The the metal pins in the spur gear broke into three pieces. But thanks to ZNO they took care of me. And then the tires must go, the stock ones relly suck. Went with the rover white dots and what a difference. For the price, me and my son are having a blast. And love playing and working on them. Can't wait to do some up grades, just for fun.
kamakazi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #13

kamakazi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRS10 View Post
My first mods was servos an tires. the servos dont turn well until the truck rolls a bit and the tires are hard as a brick.

Before I got my Rovers I took exacto blade and trimmed every other lug on the tires and drilled a few hole on the inside of the wheels and it seemed to help out a lot.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

again maybe cause you are noobe two you'll answer me i have the big brother it came with body add all been looking for differnt wheels are thos 23mm also?
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grave 1 View Post
again maybe cause you are noobe two you'll answer me i have the big brother it came with body add all been looking for differnt wheels are thos 23mm also?
Rs10 and most other 1/10th crawlers are a 12mm wheel hub/hex. Most superclass crawlers I've seen are a 17mm hex. My local Hobby Shop (which is NOT a crawler shop) say RedcatRacing claims their 8th wheels are proprietory/ or one-offs. They may not be standard size hexes OR beadlocks for aftermarket wheels or tires. IOW....good luck.

If you find some that work, be a trooper and report your findings here
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Rs10 and most other 1/10th crawlers are a 12mm wheel hub/hex. Most superclass crawlers I've seen are a 17mm hex. My local Hobby Shop (which is NOT a crawler shop) say RedcatRacing claims their 8th wheels are proprietory/ or one-offs. They may not be standard size hexes OR beadlocks for aftermarket wheels or tires. IOW....good luck.

If you find some that work, be a trooper and report your findings here
I've replied to that dude's posts a few times now and he keeps asking the same question. I'm pretty sure he doesn't go back and re-read the topics he posts in.