Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Making your own links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Making your own links

Hey guys, I've got plenty of 5/16" Delrin in the mail as we speak (3ft fror $10 shipped on eBay ) and was wondering if there are any links or how-to articles out there to help with making your own links. I'm very interested in this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike
md7989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

You'll just need set screws and rod ends - cut the delrin rod to the length you need while accounting for total length (which included the rod ends).

EDIT - I searched. Here's one informative result that is worth reading: Typical rod size for delrin links

Last edited by JeepinOR; 07-07-2010 at 10:27 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So with delrin do you cut the piece to the length you need and then drill a hole in each end of the delrin piece to thread the set screws into?

EDIT: Thanks for the link above
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This isn't for delrin, but it is very useful info.

Here is a great tutorial for making your own stainless steel links.

Rockcrawlers Berg/enroute Build.......Finally.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=md7989;2533101]So with delrin do you cut the piece to the length you need and then drill a hole in each end of the delrin piece to thread the set screws into?

yes unless you plan to bend the links then you have to compensate for your bend so your links aren,t to short
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Here's you a tutorial for delrin links:

Tools:
-drill with appropriate bit size (slightly smaller than the set screw you plan on using)
-tubing cutter (I use the following cutter)
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
-JeepinDoug's drill bushing (not necessary, but incredibly useful)
Link Drill Bushing

Materials:
-Delrin rod in your choice of diameter (5/16'' works well)
-m3 long set screws
http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=7v3fwu
-your choice of rod ends

Tutorial:
-Measure the link size taking into account whether you're planning a bent link or not, then mark it using a silver sharpie. Be sure to use the measure twice, cut once mentality to avoid wasting material.

-Clamp on the tubing cutter and tighten it up a little. Then chuck the end of the delrin rod into your drill. Hold the tubing cutter in one hand and start the drill with the other hand...using the drill to spin the delrin rod will drastically speed up the cutting process. After you notice the tubing cutter feeling loose, tighten it up and continue this process until the cut is finished. Repeat the process to get your additional links cut.

-Pop JeepinDoug's drill bushing onto the end of the link and use the drill to drill your hole. Repeat this process until there is a hole in each end of each link you're making.

-Thread a long set screw into each end of each link, then screw on the rod end of your choice (Traxxas Revo ends work really well).

And there you have it...this should be pretty self explanatory. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have...and excuse the ugliness of my carpet haha.

Last edited by jsowens; 07-07-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added to the post.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Here's you a tutorial for delrin links:

Tools:
-drill with appropriate bit size (slightly smaller than the set screw you plan on using)
-tubing cutter (I use the following cutter)
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
-JeepinDoug's drill bushing (not necessary, but incredibly useful)
Link Drill Bushing

Materials:
-Delrin rod in your choice of diameter (5/16'' works well)
-m3 long set screws
http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=7v3fwu
-your choice of rod ends

Tutorial:
-Measure the link size taking into account whether you're planning a bent link or not, then mark it using a silver sharpie. Be sure to use the measure twice, cut once mentality to avoid wasting material.

-Clamp on the tubing cutter and tighten it up a little. Then chuck the end of the delrin rod into your drill. Hold the tubing cutter in one hand and start the drill with the other hand. After you notice the tubing cutter feeling loose, tighten it up and continue this process until the cut is finished. Repeat the process to get your additional links cut.

-Pop JeepinDoug's drill bushing onto the end of the link and use the drill to drill your hole. Repeat this process until there is a hole in each end of each link you're making.

-Thread a long set screw into each end of each link, then screw on the rod end of your choice (Traxxas Revo ends work really well).

And there you have it...this should be pretty self explanatory, but maybe I'll add some photos to it when I have time to make it a legit tutorial. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Now that's what I call a nice little write up. Thank you very much.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

No prob...hope it helps.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote