Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Battery Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 AM   #1

Default Battery Help

Hey I just started mods on my rs10 with axial bent links, custom wing removal, stock esc, banebots 380 motors, white dot hb rovers, tower pro mg995 servo's and tube chasis. Now I need a battery that I can get a longer run time and more power. I see some people are running 8.4v and some even run 9.6v. I'm thinking of running a 9.6v nimh with 3000 or more mah. What are your thoughts?
Take'm Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

If you're gonna run a battery with that much power...any reason you're not gonna put a lipo in there? A 9.6v nimh battery is gonna be tough to find a mounting spot for, not to mention it's gonna be heavy. One other thing...are you still using the stock battery charger? If so...a charger upgrade is a way to get a slightly longer runtime...if you charge a higher mah battery on the stock charger you still get horrible runtimes.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I run a 8.4 3000mah from traxxas 1 1/2+ hours runtime with stock motors,fxr and cc bec. Noticeable power difference over stock, wakes those little motors right up. Bought it on ebay including charger for 20 shipped
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #4

Default Help

Thanks I have a 0nyx100 peak charger and I think I'm just gonna run the 8.4v for now, until I upgrade to a better esc and then I'll go with a lipo setup.
Take'm Dea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I tried 8.4v first and was happy, then after going 9.6v I wanna try lipo 3s. more volts are a good thing powerwise. I did have problems with the stock motors getting firecracker hot though. Upgraded to V10 55t 540s, no longer a problem. the esc never got more than warm, even after I unplugged the fan. Fan is SUPER noisy on 9.6v. I have one stick pack sub-c 3300mah that runs till I get bored but barely fits between motors, and a 1800mah pack by Zagi thats actually a little smaller than stock and get ~45min. Shopin for 3s lipo and charger now.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

8.4 is definately an improvement. I ran one for awhile but when you can do it the lipo swap is the best thing ever. It took me some time to make the jump but well worth it. It will give you something to look forward to.

I am running a 1300 3S and far out last my sons 3000 nimh.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I heard you will fry your stock esc if you go above 8.4.... has anyone actually had this happen? I just picked up a 7.2v 6800mah. Can a long runtime without taking breaks damage the motors or anything else?
FullScaleDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullScaleDreams View Post
I heard you will fry your stock esc if you go above 8.4.... has anyone actually had this happen? I just picked up a 7.2v 6800mah. Can a long runtime without taking breaks damage the motors or anything else?
I don't think anyone has actually confirmed that they killed a stock ESC with a lipo or a higher voltage battery. However, there is that chance that it could happen...and yes, if you continuously run your crawler non-stop with no break there's that possibility of messing something up. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could happen. Electronics can get hot...so a break here and there is a good idea. My motors can get fairly hot when I'm out crawling...so every 10-15 mins I'll turn my crawler off and watch one of my buddies crawl a few lines while it cools down.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I fried my stock ESC with a 3S but I really think it was the BEC portion of the unit that went. There was smoke and everything.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Talking

Good to know. At this point Im still running all stock electronics. Breaking something might be a good thing. It will force me to upgrade.
FullScaleDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

Default lipo

I run a 2200mah 2s lipo in mine with the bane bots and I have been very happy with the duration. Easily 20 min or more of solid crawling.
gvpjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullScaleDreams View Post
Good to know. At this point Im still running all stock electronics. Breaking something might be a good thing. It will force me to upgrade.
Thats how I roll. Push it till it breaks then upgrade to what you really wanted to begin with. It's hard to justify the upgrade when what you have still works.