Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Does anyone else have this problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Does anyone else have this problem?

About two weeks ago my truck stops moving when i throttle it,but when i picked it up it the tires would spin when i throttled it,so i took it apart & found out that I snapped both front & rear spur gear rod pins.

So I go ahead & make some new ones out of nails that were about the same thickness,I put them in & the truck was back in order.. tonight i go out & realize the front is doing what it did before,so i pull it apart & it was the same thing.. I guess what my question is does anyone else keep snapping those?
JoeDirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i have only broke the rear, i replaced it with this.
http://www.zno-rc.com/pages/products...drive_pin.html
blindsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I never broke one of them, i Havnt broke anything on a redcat and i beat the guts out of it day in an day out. What type of setup do u have?? all stock? weighted?
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #4

I've got rovers,spacers in the shocks,rear steer lock out,& I made the truck sit a bit lower by moving the shock brackets down to 1/2 inch away from the rod ends.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm almost wondering if there was a bad batch of those pins in some of the RS10's. I've never broken one of the pins (knock on wood) and I have a similar setup. Weighted wheels, rovers, etc... Either that or you guys are getting into some serious binds.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nails probably are not the best solution since they use cheap metal. If you can find a full size u joint you can use a needle bearing. My solution was to get a 3/32 hardened steel pin at Ace hardware ($0.20). Had to drill the shaft out to fit but it's only a few thousandths off so you're not removing much. Also, if you throttle it too much while its broke you'll eat up the cap that holds the pin. I plane to turn one out on the lathe out of aluminum this fall if time allows. If I get it done I'll post pics and let you know how it works.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I'm almost wondering if there was a bad batch of those pins in some of the RS10's. I've never broken one of the pins (knock on wood) and I have a similar setup. Weighted wheels, rovers, etc... Either that or you guys are getting into some serious binds.
I was wondering that too, we haven't broken anything in our trucks either.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #8

I'll only used the nails cause I had no other ideas on what I could use that would be in the garage,I'll try the ace idea soon.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i never had the problem bought i bought the pins from zno. I couldnt get one of the gears aprt so i couldnt replace that pin. gonna have to buy the complete gear one day and replace the pin. i can tell you that the pin i did change was already bent and I barely ran it. I was able to get gear apart in a manor which didnt let me change the pin but that inn wasnt bent yet. I have also installed steel gears and 540's so it will bend. Its just a matter of time.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What was redcat thinking when they made steel gears but left the pin cover plastic? Thats like building a bunker out of concrete and rebar and then putting balsa wood for a roof.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegetabike View Post
What was redcat thinking when they made steel gears but left the pin cover plastic? Thats like building a bunker out of concrete and rebar and then putting balsa wood for a roof.

thats funny. i was wondering the same thing. the next time i tear apart my axles im going to make some spools to eliminate the plastic pin cover and pin altogether. when i did the 540's i replaced my pins( both bent from banebots 390's) i think its soft steel. i used allen wrench for the pins. most are hardened steel and cheap. i have put mine in some pretty hard binds with only dog bone failure.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote