Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Can't be that bad, right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

Default Can't be that bad, right?

So I picked up a RS10 and was reading up on a bit more while I awaited it's delivery. I was surprised by the talk about how bad the tires are. When it arrived I ran a pack through it just bashing around the yard and chasing the dog. Before taking it on the rocks I installed the ZNO-RC wing elimination kit and narrow chasis II kit. Got new batteries, charged 'em up and headed to the rocks. I thought, "these tires can't be as bad as they say". Well

THESE TIRES ARE PIECES OF S#!T. Like slicks in the snow.

While I figure out what I want to do about it, is there anything I can do about the stock setup? Cut lugs off the tires, drill the rims, remove the foams? I know it has been asked 1000 times, but what is a good tire/wheel combo? Not trying to drop the same amount in wheels and tires that I dropped on the truck. Maybe just tires? Sounds like the rovers are the way to go, maybe panthers.

Thanks for the input up front.
theinjected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Lol Tires and servo's was the first mods on my rs10. I out axial rock lizards with NO foams and it was a Night and day difference. ur wheels are fine just change out the tires and u should be good. Go read the wheel an tire section and see what peoples thoughts on tires are. I like and run panthers and hammers on all my rigs
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

WELCOME........SUCKER.......JUST KIDDING
tires.....definately rovers at tcs.....on sale for 11.99 i think. buy them right now before price goes up. while i was waiting for my tires i did this.......remove foams from tires and take a pair of scissors to them. cut the upper outer corner of the foam at about a 45 degree angle. this in my opinion puts less foam against the side wall of tire allowing it to fold or form to rocks. I also cut some grooves in tires but i dont think it helped. I also drilled two holes in the rims 180 degrees apart. you will absolutely strip atleast one screw on each wheel. the wheels suck but i still use them. loctite will help but might screw you later. good start on the mods. wing elimator a must. narrow chassis is good idea too. good job.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

[QUOTE=ctracy;2634179]rovers at tcs.....on sale for 11.99 i think/QUOTE]

Out of stock. Damn it. Got a email coming when back in stock. Hope they are still at the sale price.
theinjected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

good luck man.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Almost any tire is better than the stock ones. Rovers, Panther cougars or leopards, sedonas, etc... The wheels are decent, but since they're plastic they can strip easily. Since you have a green star, browse the classifieds for some good deals. You can occasionally come across lightly used tires for dirt cheap. I also picked up a set of aluminum beadlocks from a guy on the classifieds for an amazing deal. Good luck!
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've had better luck with the proline chisels, and they come with memory foam too. Out mine on some slightly more narrow rims(LCC rims require slight modifacation but will work), helped with clearance.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i went with the rovers cuz the were sofa king cheap. Before they went on sale they were on my list to get but not at the top. they shot to the top when they went on sale. otherwise I dont know what tires i would have bought. proline something prolly.