Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS10 Not Working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Default RS10 Not Working

I just recently purchased a rs10 rockslide 1/10. As I am new to this I dont have any clue as to what I'm doing. I charged my battery for 4 hours, and put in brand new rechargeable, and just regular batteries and my car wont run. It acts all funny. If anyone has any help not sure if im supposed to do this but email me at michaelcalebnethanr@yahoo.com or call me 903-647-6307 im in texas. Thanks for any help, dont know to send it back, as I have already purchased tires
BigMike32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

does the fan on the esc come on when you turn it on
barshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Yes it comes on. I actually had the car going once for like 2 minutes but the steering would only go one way. I had to stand real close to the car or it wouldnt move
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

how long did you charge the battery? It takes the charger that comes with it ~8 hours to fully charge the battery (I think). So I'm guessing the battery may not be charged enough. I bought a Dynamite vision charger with mine cheap charger but it works for what i got it for.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #5

I assuming maybe I didnt let it charge long enough. So I have it on the charger now and just gonna let it go for a while, and see what happens. Thats all I can do until Monday to see if it needs shipped back or what. The controller has so many options on it, do I put everything at around 10% or higher or lower
Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Jer
Rock Crawler

You will have to tweak the remote pecentages to whatever works, I know it's a lame explenation but you will spend a bit of time tweaking the rs10 steering and such before it's where you want it and you will probably still tweak it for a while after. Don't give up, it's a pretty fun rig. I would suggest going to your LHS and getting a better charger, 8+ hours isn't worth the 20-30 min you get to play with it.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you leave the battery charging long enough to let it get fully charged and it still acts weird...start a process of elimination to narrow down the problem. For example, try tweaking the radio settings until you get something you can work with...or if the steering seems out of whack, try unplugging one or both servos to see if the rig will go forward/reverse without them. The rigs do tend to act funny if the battery isn't fully charged, though. I agree with these guys, a new charger will eliminate headaches.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

got mine and 4 3300mah batteries for 25 bucks and everything works fine
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

Post check the radio

i would ensure your crystals are fully seated. i have had mine a few weeks and still have a few problems with the tx crystal. good luck...its a blast when you get it going.

james
obxcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #10

Ok I finally got the rig going forward and backwards, but have a very short range.... I cant get it to turn either way,and when I use the push button on the remote to change the different ways the wheels work on one setting they kind stick and start making a clicking sound... I plan on ordering some banebots, and I wanna replace the servos. Since I am a single dad and christmas it may take me a while, unless any of u guys have a spare pair of servos. Also when I replace my servos, to I need to change those pinion gears I hear u folks talking about... Id like to replace the control with something alot easier... Any help would be appreciated. Oh and I did happen to order some 2.2 flat iron M3s to put on it. Will send pics when I do
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
RCC Addict

So at this point you don't have any steering whatsoever? If you replace the servos in the future, you could get by with replacing the front with something nicer and leave a stocker in the rear until you can afford another one. Or just lock out the rear, either way. Most cheap radios have a limited range (not sure why you'd want long range to begin with...I like to see where my rig is going). There are plenty of decent radios...the traxxas tq3 is a decent radio and can be found cheap. For a bit more cash, around $100, you could get a spectrum dx3e 2.4ghz radio.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #12

No steering at all pretty much... I dont care so much for 10 or so feet cut off, but I don't even get that range its way short. So if I replace the servo,, do I have to get anhything different or just the servo. I am looking at the rs390 banebot motors for front and rear is that a good choice... On my way to building my rig... Not trying to compete just wanting the feel for an actual crawler is all... Thanks Guys
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...ervo-p-18.html

Good cheep servo, banebots are ok they juss run pretty hot I would say do the 540 mod and grab some cheep rc4wd 540 motors, there only 10 bucks a piece.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #14

mine too acts funny when the battery is low. I would also check the servo wires, Because when i first got mine they had pulled the wires to tight and zip tied them to the links after 2 packs they broke off in the servo, i just soldered them back on easy enough fix but something to check.
Matt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #15

I'm not even sure how to do a 540 mod. I'm so new to this, thats why I didnt spend a whole lot just to make sure it was something I wanted to do. I got new tires comming in next week and I don't even know how to change them lol.... Thanks Guys, I am hopin to get my crawler going and seeing how fun it can be.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Like was said previously...check the wires and make sure nothing is going on there. One way you can check each servo is to remove it from the rig, remove the screw that attaches the steering link to the servo horn, then plug the servo into the slot on the rx that the front servo goes to. Try both servos in that slot, then if you get no steering, try both of them in the slot for the rear servo. If you still have no steering you've got yourself a bad rx. This will be a process of elimination.

The banebots are decent motors if you don't have access to a dremel or don't wanna mod your gearboxes for the 540 motors. Changing tires is super easy. Unbolt the beadlocks, remove old tires, put new tires on, remount beadlocks. Do lots of reading in this section of the forum and you'll find plenty of helpful info.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Lol take one easy afternoon and rip everything apart and put it back together, lol j/k but that would be a easy way to learn how everything works, tis how I learned
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #18

I feel like taking it and sending it back lol, but from what I have heard just put a little time and money into the rig and its pretty decent for the money.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You can also check to make sure the rx wire is not next to any power wires. The antenna wire can pick up interference from power wires causing all sorts of strange response.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

i know its going to sound like a no brainer but did you try diff. tx batteries?
greaser is offline   Reply With Quote