Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: pinion set screw....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default pinion set screw....

what a pain in the arse...... lol was doing the BTA steering mod. went well. all is looking good. gave steering servos 4 coats of liquid tape. then it all started. lol. i decided to put metal gears in while i had it all apart. well who the heck decided to put such small set screws in the pinion. lol i stripped my allen key. cheap tools. lol or pain in the butt set screw? i would like to say both. and maybe some human error. maybe. lol has anyone else had this problem and any solutions? is drilling it out the best option. i might have stripped out set screw a lil also. hard to tell till i get a new allen key set tomorrow. thanks.... sorry, its late. lol see what happens when you cant sleep an start tinkering wit stuff....
eyeopenher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Oh yeah, most of us have ran into this issue at some point. I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with their solutions for it, but when I ran into it, I was upgrading motors and tried to get the stock pinions off for my new motors...I ultimately got so frustrated I bought new pinions.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ya gotta use some heat on the gear to loosen up the locktite before even attempting to loosen the screw! Little butane torch for the win!
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default dang them.... lol

i was going to use some heat but was afraid of melting or disforming the plastic casing. yeah. i will try again wit some heat this time. if not, i will be putting in 2 new motors. lol stupid question though. i have the xt so it already has an 8t in. i got the new metal gears and it comes wit a 8t pinion. so there is really no need to change them right? i will say this, the stock 8t does not look as well made as the one that came wit the mg set. and i wanted to put a 10t pinion up front to help wit clod stall. or is this a waste of my time? i am thinking i will leave the 8's in till i have a problem and then try removing again, or just replace the cans wit some new shiny ones!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The stock 8T pinions in the XT are not as strong as the hardened pinions that come with the steel gear set. Those hardened pinions are only currently available as a 10T pinion though.

The 10T pinion on the front axle will help with Clodstall, but you're correct that removing the stock setscrews is difficult. If you do use heat, simply remove the motor from the gearcase though so you don't need to worry about melting the plastic housing. You won't need a lot of heat, but it is very helpful in pinion removal.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

you can use a electric stove and rest pinion on heating element works great. Or bake a 350
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default good deal...

i actually bought my MG set from crawford... thanks for all the tips. just curious. do you think putting a solder iron tip on the set screw might work? enough heat? the pointed tip that i have fits right in there.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

only one way to find out!
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default oh i will... lol

as soon as i get my kids in bed tonight i will see. i dont see why not. so for the sake of all set screws. i hope it works...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #10

Whats the pitch of the pinion im just gonna get a new one
lilengine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

I drilled mine out and put a small screw in it and cut it off, Left a little sticking out and cut a slice so I can remove it with a flat head. They're a 48 pitch. Good luck. Next time apply a little heat..... They have locktight on them.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

mine stripped even with heat (using quality tools). ended up just pulling the pinion off and pressing it back on my banbot. the orignal motor had ripped the wire out of it and was no good and banbot was $2 , no loss there.... anyways, been working for a month! looking to upgrade motors soon and will be ordering new pinions!
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #13

what size is the set screw? Is it a 1mm?

wait i think i found it...1.27mm
please post if this is not right

Last edited by madkow007; 03-15-2011 at 11:40 AM.
madkow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
pc1

I was out in the field and had to change a motor. I ended up squirting it with WD-40 then holding the shaft with a pair of nedle nose pliers and pried the pinion off with a flat screwdriver. I then put more WD-40 and held with pliers and tapped it back on. I was surprised how quick an easy this method was. The old motor was shot so i didn't care to tear it up getting the pinion off. On another time, The second pinion would not come off. I broke 2 allens and finally rounded the head with the 3rd. Again, I pried it off and tapped it back on a new motor. I don't recommend anyone doing this. I knew consequences but chose to do it because i wanted to crawl bad that day. This was a last ditch efforts by a smother brother. So if you have the time a patience, do it right. This is only a desprate - quick fix.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Glad I read this thread!

My truck should get here monday (pushed back from friday) with a set of steel gears. I was planning on swapping em on day 1.

So;

Heat,
quality tools, metric and sae,
and a buttload of patience.
?
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote