Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help with shock rubbage????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Help with shock rubbage????

Anyways I bent my rear links at about a 35* 7/8" from where the bottom joint meets the link and I couldn't get the shocks to sit where they would not scrape the hell out of the motor since I lowered it. I know some guys are running bent links with the shocks moved back, so what am I doing wrong?????? Hell the link itself will hit the motor if it doesn't stay perfectly straight so WTF?
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i had the same issue using bent links, i just clocked the axle, gave it a bit of negative caster.
bahogtubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #3

I also had this problem when installing bent links. I use a nut on both ends of each top link to help rotate the axel.
Kcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Kc, could you put a picture of your mod it seem simple but I do not understand exactly where to put the nuts...
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

No problem here you go. I placed a 3mm nut and washer at each end. I also moved the lower links in the center holes on the frame/battery tray to help rotate the axel were the motor would clear. Hope this helps

Last edited by Kcsport; 01-07-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Kcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Now I will have to watch for the steering rods not to rubb the obstacles...Or create a skuid plate, but the shape of the axxle make it difficult to design...
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Make some 1/4 links out of delrin. They are realy durable and easy to make with all your stock hardware. I have beat the crap out of these links with now problems what so ever.

tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'll second that delrin links recommendation. I have 5/16'' delrin uppers, lowers, and steering links and haven't had a problem with them.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pitt View Post
Now I will have to watch for the steering rods not to rubb the obstacles...Or create a skuid plate, but the shape of the axxle make it difficult to design...
after clocking the axle the steering drag links will be something to look after. i did the BTA mod shared by CPE it really is easy and uses all stock parts.
bahogtubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I'll second that delrin links recommendation. I have 5/16'' delrin uppers, lowers, and steering links and haven't had a problem with them.
My rig is doing great, but the reason i bent my links is i cannot figure out how people are climbing up and over 90* obstacles. I assume that weighted front wheels and some good tires go along ways? If my rear links hit to bad I am done and have to back up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWbAV...eature=related Like this.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Good tires go a long way...so does a proper setup. If you don't have a low center of gravity on your rig and your electronics aren't as low as possible, you'll have a pretty tough time with obstacles like that, no matter how bent your links are. Spend some time reading through some of the build threads in the berg and bully sections for some ideas and inspiration in how to setup your rig. They might be completely different rigs, but things like shock tuning, electronics placement, etc... help out a lot.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

put your link on the outer mounting tab on your axle, that will get you 1/4 inch further from your motor . You just need a longer screw.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #13

Also in that vid they had a dig, you would not be able to climb something like that without one because your rear wheels would just try to drive under you and flip you over.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
Also in that vid they had a dig, you would not be able to climb something like that without one because your rear wheels would just try to drive under you and flip you over.
The dig is where its at. many people only think its for turning.
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote