Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: some help with the gmade r1 rs10 hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Default some help with the gmade r1 rs10 hybrid

hello all i am new to the forum and to rc crawlers but was hoping to get some help i am wanting to take my rs10xt and mate it with the gmade r1 tube chassis i have researched a ton but the one problem i see is with the rs10xt the upper links are triangulated and the r1 isnt now am i able to keep my upper links triangulated i want to order the r1 chassis this week so any help would be great thanks in advance
irishfabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I just did the same thing to mine tonight and yes you can there's holes on the chassis that work perfect to bolt the rod ends to. I used the links that were originally on the bottom for the uppers. The only thing special I had to do was make my wires for the motor longer
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

why did u use ur bottom links as uppers? but if i use the y link on top does it hit on the chassis or is it all good and where can i get good but cheap 540 can motors i have the metal gears an does any one make a metal spur gear all so i know it been explained but do i need anything else than the motors to do the 540 swap? thanks again and post some pics of urs please 87silverado and just something else in common i have an 88 silverado slammed on airbags
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Ok, first of all...you might wanna consider 4 linking your RS10. Especially if you're going to a different chassis because the link length on the 3 link probably won't match up, not to mention the new chassis might not have the same mount for the 3 link.

For cheap/good motors go here: http://store.rc4wd.com/Engine-Motor_c_26.html

For motors you can also go for the integy 540 motors, which are relatively inexpensive as well.

To my knowledge, nobody has made a metal spur gear for these rigs. I'm sure when/if one is made you'll be able to read about it here on the forum or find it on the vendors websites who stock/make the RS10 upgrade parts. Lastly, do some reading on the 540 swap before you hack away at the gearbox. This thread is a good place to start:

540 swap basic walk through
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i will post up pics of mine when I get back home
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Has anyone ever really had problems with the plastic spur gear breaking/stripping on them? Might be a good thing to keep it in there anyways kind of as a fuse so that you don't break other more expensive parts.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

ok guys i am going to get the r1 so here we go just ordered it, i got of couple parts i think are good for a comp worthy rig but let me know what u think
1. cpe metal 15kg servos front stock in back
2. redcat metal gear set with 8th pinion front and back
3. stock motor till i find those 455 that jssowens is running
4. the gmade r1 shock but havent decided till i get together
5. sendona or proline hammers m2 tires with stock rims with weights
but thats all for now till i learn more about esc bec and digs and remotes not that familar with em yet so any help would help and i am trying to keep it a budget crawler so with each week new part (i hate college loans ) but give me feed back and maybe some sites that have good deals with these parts or better parts would be great. thanks again guys and love the forum so far no a$$holes and really knowledge able people thanks

Last edited by irishfabricator; 01-09-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start with your rig. I'm actually not running the 454 motors...another guy on here is. I'm running 13 turn puller motors, which are pretty tough to find these days. I would consider doing 540's since they're cheaper than the 454's and there are metal gears available now, not to mention hopefully soon a 540 gearbox will become available.

Probably the best deals you'll find is by picking up a star for this forum for $20...then you'll get instant classifieds access and you can find some insane deals in there. I've actually bought aluminum wheels, some electronic stuff, shocks, etc... in the classifieds for pretty cheap.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #9

Where can I get a 13t puller and any mods u have to do to it or any other good motor without mods ?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Well, the few websites that I've seen that carry the 13 turn motors have stopped selling them so they're pretty difficult to find. The only motors that will bolt right up with no modifications are the 380/390 motors and the 400 motors like the pullers/454's. The Holmes Hobbies 454's are great motors from what I understand, but a pair of them costs around $80.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfabricator View Post
ok guys i am going to get the r1 so here we go just ordered it, i got of couple parts i think are good for a comp worthy rig but let me know what u think
1. cpe metal 15kg servos front stock in back
2. redcat metal gear set with 8th pinion front and back
3. stock motor till i find those 455 that jssowens is running
4. the gmade r1 shock but havent decided till i get together
5. sendona or proline hammers m2 tires with stock rims with weights
but thats all for now till i learn more about esc bec and digs and remotes not that familar with em yet so any help would help and i am trying to keep it a budget crawler so with each week new part (i hate college loans ) but give me feed back and maybe some sites that have good deals with these parts or better parts would be great. thanks again guys and love the forum so far no a$$holes and really knowledge able people thanks
If you got the G-transition shocks, send them back. I've had 3 sets so far, and out of 9 out of 12 of them have leaked badly. I would go with their new shocks, if they are long enough GMade Oilless Scaler shocks

Good luck with your conversion.

Giz
Giznad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #12

Please post some photo's of how it looks where its done and how it all works i like the idea.
FJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #13

no problem when i get it all done i ll post some pics and i am also in the process of designing my own chassis and water jetting it out so soon as i get this done i will also post it thanks for the help. and some motors would help so hit me up with something u have or know where to get some at a good price
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

can't help noobe here and can't help self just seing if i could learn something as i have aa1/8 super rock slid i thins it's big broter to rcx as it came with body and olny up grade i'v been able to find is body can't even get fancy rims.
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote