Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Noob question, but RS 10 specific

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Noob question, but RS 10 specific

I am waiting for my XT to get here, between 14th and 21st... I've been looking through the all the different threads on RCC, the web in general, even been to my LHS.

My question is parts interchangeability. I've seen guys saying they have part "X" off of vehicle "X" and it fits. Is there another rig that if I run across parts for it will fit on my RS10? My LHS sells mostly traxxas, says he can get whatever I need and they have tons of parts behind the counter, however he didn't have anything nice to say about my RS10. I know the Axial is always being brought up in comparisons?

I'm not looking for "which engine do you guys like" or "which tire works best". I have found actual RS10 replacement parts, but I'm guessing that those would be the exact same part that just broke and not any type of upgrade? There are so many options for hard parts available from the different store websites and I've only seen a few that actually say--------Fits Redcat RS10.

Thanks, T
T Bone 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Depends on the part. If you have a question about a specific part fitting, just ask...but it's tough to sit and list every single part that's compatible. When it comes down to it, any aftermarket MOA chassis, axial offset wheels, axial steering knuckles, suspension links, most shocks, practically any crawler electronics, most bodies, etc... fit. So that leaves you with most of the axle itself that isn't compatible with other rigs. However, you can get the upgraded steel gears to beef them up a little. In most cases, just because a part is designed for a specific rig and doesn't say "fits redcat RS10" doesn't mean that it can't work on something else with little or no modification required.

People have a hard time accepting the RS10 due to the cost of it and most people will suggest a nicer rig 9 times out of 10 to beginners due to upgrades that are available for that specific rig. Lucky for newcomers that are buying the RS10's, there's this forum with a bunch of people who own them and can help you out with issues. When I first got mine, I was one of maybe 3 people on here who had a RS10 and this particular section of the forum didn't exist so most of my mods were very much trial and error.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

The lady at my LHS didnt have nice things to say about mine either, but I figured that with all of her overpriced scalers and no crawlers that she was just upset that she didnt have anything as cool and at a reasonable price! Basicly I see the 10 as a entry level crawler, the parts are really cheaply made, but it gives you a great platform to build from. I made alot of my parts from things I have just layin around my toolbox. As for parts being interchangable, You can do pretty much whatever you want to, just gotta think outside the box ! Modifing and improving is the part of this hobby that I enjoy the most !
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is an example. I dont have a Redcat, but my Exceed came with plastic gears in the axle (MOA) 3 of them to be exact, well the biggest one, a 42 tooth, stripped in the front and rear pretty much immediately. Through this forum, I found with slight modification, that Berg gears are a great replacement. I bought one to start with because I couldn't get a definite answer and I was able to make it work, so I ordered one for the other axle. Everything is holding up great now!

So my advice it to look at other parts closely. If they look like they might work, then give them a try. You might just fine the next best upgrade.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like my biggest issue then, is lack of parts spare "laying around", this is my first RC since my little Nikko Lobo back in the day.

--T
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone 347 View Post
Exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like my biggest issue then, is lack of parts spare "laying around", this is my first RC since my little Nikko Lobo back in the day.

--T
If you get into the hobby seriously like most of us, It won't take very long to start accumulating parts and nic nac's. but mainly what I was referring to is I work as a mechanic so I had some 8x32 allthread and some 1/4 inch brake line left over from a job I did on an old VW beetle. Just so happens that you can make some pretty cool custom bent links with 8x32 allthread and 1/4 inch steel brakeline !
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

ZNO RC has a lot of sweet little hop ups for the RS10.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have been in this hobby for about a year, I have had one truck for a lot longer (TXT-1) and I have built a few crawlers and have a few current build in the works. In that short time I now have three work boot boxes full of "extra parts" Trust me your part shortage will be short lived the second you touch your RS-10 with a tool.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegetabike View Post
Axial AX10 knuckles fit, most LHS's have those in stock, and CKRC makes an aluminum set for the RS10.
The kind of info I'm after, just have to know where to start my search. I could be in trouble, being that I my rig hasn't even arrived and I already have a shopping list and a 'to do' list.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrokin00XJ View Post
ZNO RC has a lot of sweet little hop ups for the RS10.
X2 Check out ZNO. also traxxas revo ball ends work perfect with 8/32 allthread. They are also the toughest I have found. Good luck with your rig and keep us posted on stuff you learn how to mod.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone 347 View Post

--T
I had a lobo when i was young and i thought is was awesome. then the Baja Bandit came out. lobo went on the shelf.....lol
bigman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

here is my experience, my lhs doesnt carry alot of parts for the rs10 due to the fact that he hasnt had alot of people comeing in needing parts replaced so he doesnt know what to stock up on, other than servos and what not, as for me i usually dont want to put the same exact part on, i want somthing different/better. thankfully i have a great hobby shot owner who has known me for years that will let me rummage through the hpi and traxxas bins and to my surprise i have found a lot of parts in those brands that will work you just have to look, like jsowens said trial and error
tyrod_emmons is offline   Reply With Quote