Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: jsowens' RS10 Hellstrom rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default jsowens' RS10 Hellstrom rebuild

Alright gentlemen, I've been pondering on a direction to go with my RS10 for most of the winter and finally decided on something. I picked up a second hand JP Customs Hellstrom chassis and will be doing a build on it. I have a couple other projects going on at the same time, so this build might take a bit of time, but it'll be good to go once spring rolls around. Here are the specs thusfar:

axles - RS10 (obviously)
chassis - JP Customs Hellstrom w/ delrin skid
links - 5/16'' handmade delrin links with revo ends/m4 set screws
shocks - duratrax evader threaded aluminum w/ white losi springs and 35wt oil
wheels - MSD topgun aluminum
tires - HB rovers
foam - VP adjustable foam all around
ESC - Axial AE-2 w/ RC4WD turbo BEC
servo - rc4wd mayhem w/ aluminum horn
motors - Cobalt 13 turn
front steering knuckles - HR aluminum axial knuckles
rear lockout - custom using 5/8'' x 1/2'' x 1/2'' nylon spacer dremeled down to fit.
body - axial xc-1 until I decide on a body to pick up
body mounts - gunnar's mounts
radio - flysky fs-gt3b 2.4ghz
batteries - 1300mah 2s 40c lipo

As it sits right now, the ground clearance is 3.25'' extended, 2'' compressed, and wheelbase sits at 12.25'' extended and 12.5'' compressed. The chassis currently has a wider skid drilled for an ax10 transmission, but I might keep it like this since the width keeps the shocks away from my motors. Once I actually finish the build, I'm gonna start tinkering with the suspension and link positioning a lot to figure out what will work best on this setup. Any of you comp guys that are lurking around, who have used this chassis, shoot me a pm with any suggestions you have on setups.

I'm still in the process of deciding on electronics. I'm thinking of picking up a used sidewinder and bec and I'll be attempting to mod the radio I picked up to be able to use a 3 position switch for dig. We'll see how that goes...if not, I'll just run it dig-less. I'll also be picking up some lipo batteries/charger very soon. I might pick up some metal gears for the axles and some of those hardened pins, but that's not priority yet. Anyway, for the time being, here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics. Once I get some more parts in and really get cracking on the build, I'll break out the nicer camera and get some better pics for you guys.

Last edited by jsowens; 05-23-2011 at 06:23 PM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Cant wait to see how this turns out.....looking good Mr. jsowens
WarHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice.. can't wait to see how this turns out...
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

you done yet?jk nice looking..
78bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bucket View Post
you done yet?jk nice looking..
If by "done" you mean "not done" then yes, it is. I should have some stuff coming for it this week, so I'll do updates as I get stuff installed and post up some better pictures soon. Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

1/4 " Delrin steering links rock!!! They sit really close to axle and I have beat the crap out of mine to the point I don't worry about them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by tom80; 02-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm making a little progress this evening. I finished the rear lockouts, finally. They're the same principal as the brass tube lockouts I originally did that are posted in the tips and tricks thread, but they don't bite into the bearing and work a lot better. I made them with a pair of 5/8'' x 1/2'' x 1/2'' nylon spacers I bought at Lowes for a couple of bucks. They were a bit long to fit into the space between the axle housing and the steering knuckle, so I dremeled them down around 1/8'' or so. I'm pretty anxious to see how they'll perform on the rocks, but they have no flex to them when I use my hands on the wheels to try to force flex. I need to rebuild the links using the revo ends and m4 set screws I have to make them stronger. I have a few goodies coming in the mail, so this thing will hopefully go together quicker than I originally thought. Stay tuned.

Rear Lockout:

From the front:

Side view:
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Got some more goodies in the mail at the end of the week...a set of aluminum steering knuckles (not high clearance) and the flysky fs-gt3b rx/tx. I'll be installing the knuckles in a few minutes and building links using the m4 set screws and revo rod ends. I have some 1300mah 2s lipo packs, an imax b6 charger, and a pair of hardened pins for the spur assembly on order and once those get here I'll be able to figure out electronics mounting and get further on the build. I'm leaning toward a losi grappler pro body for this build, but we'll see. The big reason I'm going for 2s lipos instead of 3s on this build is due to my motors. I have more wheelspeed than I'll ever need on regular 7.4v nimh batteries so having 3s would just be more power than I need...and besides, clod stall is pretty much non-existant on my setup so more power isn't necessary. Here's a shot of the rx/tx and knuckles:

Last edited by jsowens; 03-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

The fs-gt3b is a nice radio and the price makes even better. I've really enjoyed mine.
Kcsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #10

Has got that radio 3 positions 3rd channel?
MRff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsport View Post
The fs-gt3b is a nice radio and the price makes even better. I've really enjoyed mine.
Just got mine a couple of days ago. At $35 shipped for tx & rx + $7 for additional rx, you just can't go wrong. Haven't heard any negative feedbacks on these radios yet.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Xcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRff View Post
Has got that radio 3 positions 3rd channel?
Nope...it has a on/off 3rd channel button. In the future I'm gonna see if I can mod it to use a 3 position switch, but it doesn't come stock with one.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What ESC have you been using with those cobalts? I know you've been running them for a while now, curious because of my problem trying to run them on the stock ESC. How many turns are those also?
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
RCC Addict

They're 13 turns and I ran them for over a year on the stock ESC with no problems. I dunno what the stock ESC is rated for, but I know it handled those motors fine. My stock ESC is still fully functioning, but I wanna upgrade to something a little nicer.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

More new stuff arrived this week. I got 3 lipos, sky lipo 1300mah 2s 40c, from hobbypartz, an imax b6 charger, and a set of hardened pins (above the batteries in the pic) from ZNO-RC. The batteries are an ideal size for my setup so I'm pretty excited about them.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I guess your the one who got to the nylon spacer bin before me, Thanks for opening all the bags it made it much easier for me to test fit with the part I brought with me. I have not gotten to installing them yet. I have been adding to my crawler as well so I will update my build thread soon, check it out
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMonte View Post
I guess your the one who got to the nylon spacer bin before me, Thanks for opening all the bags it made it much easier for me to test fit with the part I brought with me. I have not gotten to installing them yet. I have been adding to my crawler as well so I will update my build thread soon, check it out
Haha, you're welcome. Hopefully you'll dig those lockouts. I'll be looking forward to your build, man.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Setup is looking awesome I really think I just need to wait until I can afford balancer n charger n go lipo I'm sure I will be much happier on 2s or 3s than ni-mh plus the battery sizes are much more ideal rather than me rather than packing all that extra weight.... How much Was ur lipo setup plus battery price?
Macmanthizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmanthizz View Post
Setup is looking awesome I really think I just need to wait until I can afford balancer n charger n go lipo I'm sure I will be much happier on 2s or 3s than ni-mh plus the battery sizes are much more ideal rather than me rather than packing all that extra weight.... How much Was ur lipo setup plus battery price?
Thanks, I should have another good update on my build this coming week, as I'll actually have time to work on it. I bought this charger:
http://zno-rc.com/pages/products/iMa...x_charger.html

and 3 of these batteries:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1300-2s1p-40c-2222.html

So the whole lipo setup was less than $100. I did get relatively small batteries...so if you wanted something with a higher mah or even a 3s battery it would cost a tad more. You also might have to get a lipo cutoff or alarm if you use the stock ESC to avoid damaging your batteries, so add some cash for that. I highly recommend the charger I got...and ZNO are awesome guys to deal with. It took several days for my batteries to arrive from hobbypartz, but for free shipping I wasn't complaining.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I was just looking at that charger bout 10 min ago on eBay right around $40 with cord n I'm running a super rooster rev. Esc I'll need a cut off or alarm for sure I think I wanna go lipo it just seems like a more efficient route to take without voltage decreasing as u drive
Macmanthizz is offline   Reply With Quote