Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A Newbie with a ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Default A Newbie with a ???

Hello everyone I'm new to the rc crawler world and have had the Rs10 XT for about a week or two. I was out at the park today and noticed that the rear wheels won't grab and just lock up and a squeaky noise occurs. This only happens going forward if i try the obstacle in reverse it doesn't happen. What might this be? Are my gears shot? Also i called redcat here in PHX and they told me to take it apart and look to see, since I'm new to this I'm a little discouraged to start taking it apart, I guess what I'm trying to say is how hard is it to take it apart and what should I be looking for? Do I need to take the axle apart as well of just the part right next to the motor?? Sorry is this post is dumb/stupid I just don't feel comfortable taking this on blindly. Also if it is the gears do i just need to order the metal ones? Thanks in advance for any help! I look forward talking to you all on here.
AZ-RS10XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

no worries man, some people here might get kinda crappy about the question but not me, i completely understand about being hesitant to dive into a project but i will say this,, if your gonna stay in this hobby be prepared to work on them from time to time...... now to your question, this is just a off the top of my head guess, but my guess is its either the gears or you have sheared off the spur gear pin, im gonna take a shot in the dark and say its more than likeley the pin in the spur gear, if it was the gears stripped you would have choppy action when you throttle, meaning that the tires would spin, stop then catch again rapidly.. but here is what i would do, just go ahead and start taking the axle houseing apart i will warn you you wall pretty much have to take it completley apart you wont be able to tell by just taking it half apart.. when you get it took apart check all the teeth on the gears if you see teeth missing on any of the gears then yes it is more than likely the gears,, in wich case you will be money ahead to get steel gears.. should you see that youre not missing any teeth then more than likey it will be the pin in the spur gear broke this is a simple simple simple fix.. you will have to get to the spur gear.. the spur gear is the one the actually sits in the very bottom of the axle,,, take this gear out and you will see on one side there is a plate with 4 screws in it.. take these screws out and the plate off and BAM you will see the pin more than likey broken, all you have to do is find a metal material the same thickness and cut it to fit in the groove (you will see what im talking about) i have seen people use an old allen wrench or finish nail they dont need, just cut it and stick it in and reassemble,, as for me i found an old coder pin that was the same thickness, it doesnt matter just cut to fit and put it in.... when putting it back together dont panic the gears pretty much only fit in the case one way so just tinker with them till you get them in right... there is a thread of another guy that did this i will see if i can find it and post it so you can see some pics... hope i helped you out...

Last edited by tyrod_emmons; 03-25-2011 at 06:49 PM.
tyrod_emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

RS10 XT weak point?

there ya go man this will help you get and idea of what to look for, and how this guy fixed his... oh and btw not to worry you but just a warning,, if you have luck like me and my freinds did, dont be surprised if after you fix the axle that is giving you problems the other axle does the same exact thing pretty soon after, just do like i did man laugh and say oh well atleast i know how to fix it hahah good luck man.. if you have any trouble just shout some one will help you out....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

or maybe check your dogbone pin ....this apen 2 time on my truck ....the pin in the dogbone slip out of the dogbone and sqeez on the knuckel ...i just put some epoxy on it and put at place ...no problem whit that at all !!!
boul69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
pc1

I'm with tyrod, I'm saying you sheared a pin. Take the 3 phillips screws out of the inspection plate on the gear housing. Hold the wheels with your hand and gently give it some throttle. You can see the pinion turning the gears enuff to see if they are stripped. You can't see the pins but I bet they are broke. If the gears turn and you can hold the wheels, the pins are broke. It's easy to get apart, just a bunch of screws and an 1.5 allen. I like to use the Redcat parts diagram as an aid to disassembly and assembly. I hope this link works for ya, if not, go to redcats site and do a parts search for a rs10 and it will be there. The part we think is broke is RCT HO18. Do a search on this site on how to replace the pin with a nail. I do recommend the metal gears. ZNO has them and hardened pins. .....And get used to working on it. It's 50% of the game. Bashing is just the 1/2 of it!

http://www.redcatracing.com/site/par...ckslide10.html
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Thanks man I really appreciate the input I will get at it soon. Thanks again, I love these forums for this reason since none of my friends have RC's I know I can come on here and get the help I need. Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

So if it is this pin would the wheels still spin? The only time they don't want to spin is when I attempt to crawl up something like if the front wheels are already up on the obstacle and the back tires are trying to get up onto it. Mostly trying to crawl up and onto or over stuff, if its on flat ground it goes no problem. Could this still be the pin or the gears, again everyone thank you so much for the input.

Last edited by AZ-RS10XT; 03-25-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

Yeah it could still be the pin. That's how mine acted, once there's a little resistance it wouldn't spin but just driving on flat ground it would be fine.
jaseandbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

Yeah that's what mine is doing, on the flat ground it's fine once i start to climb something steep it doesn't grip and it just stops and nothing but the noise like its trying to go but wont. I will have to look at it tonight. Also I was reviewing the diagram for the parts and I don't need to take the axle assembly apart to get to the pin right just the gear box housing and then to the rear spur gear, that is inside the housing right? Sorry guys for the stupid questions I just don't want to muck anything up!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yes that sounds like the pin to me, believe me I've had enough experience with that problem. Don't drive around too much in that condition, because you'll tear up the pin housing. Don't be afraid to tear into the thing, after you do it, you'll feel more confident about fixing it next time.
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You will have to take the entire axle apart to get at the spur gear. Not the gear box though.
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-RS10XT View Post
So if it is this pin would the wheels still spin? The only time they don't want to spin is when I attempt to crawl up something like if the front wheels are already up on the obstacle and the back tires are trying to get up onto it. Mostly trying to crawl up and onto or over stuff, if its on flat ground it goes no problem. Could this still be the pin or the gears, again everyone thank you so much for the input.

well that answers it for me its the pin, thats exactly what mine did to the letter.. what it is, is the pin is broken but its kinda wedged just enough the turn the axles but when it gets under pressure it breaks free and the axle spins around..

Last edited by tyrod_emmons; 03-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICrawler View Post
You will have to take the entire axle apart to get at the spur gear. Not the gear box though.

umm you may be right but i found it easier for me to go ahead and take the gear box apart and he might as well check the gears while he is in there, no sense in not checking them, you never know
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
pc1

Yeah, the wheels will still turn a lil and try to catch with the broke pins. The pins break into 3 pieces and catch just enuff to work untill they get resistance. I'm a newbie also. Glad to help. Go read my post called "What to upgrade next???" about 4 or 5 posts below this one. It will tell you what to expect to break to replace in the next few weeks.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-RS10XT View Post
Yeah that's what mine is doing, on the flat ground it's fine once i start to climb something steep it doesn't grip and it just stops and nothing but the noise like its trying to go but wont. I will have to look at it tonight. Also I was reviewing the diagram for the parts and I don't need to take the axle assembly apart to get to the pin right just the gear box housing and then to the rear spur gear, that is inside the housing right? Sorry guys for the stupid questions I just don't want to muck anything up!
well yes and no, theortically you could just take the gear box apart and viola there it is but you will see the crazy axles and box kinda sync together but you never know you may get lucky...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Yup, now is as good a time as any to get to know your truck! inside and out!

I was on here for weeks before I got mine. When it finally came (about a week ago myself) I opened up the axles right away and replaced the spur pin and metal gears, while the battery charged. None of it's hard, just time consuming. I recamend doing a full tear down.

It's nice knowing how things work. That way you can figure how to make stuff better!

Note; I believe all the screws are the same size, so that makes re-assembly real easy. BUT! if any are different from the others, set them aside and remember where they are from(like the long one on the 3 screw inspection plate)
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I agree with these guys...open up your axles and see what the problem is. If you lay out all the screws and parts in the order you removed them, you'll have no problem getting it back together.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

One thing I learned with the rs10 axles is do not overtighten the screws when putting the sections back on or the gears might rub the housing.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #19

So i took it apart last night and the ger that touches the 8t pinion was stripped, also when you order the metal gears does it come with a new metal sput gear, I think thats what its called the biggest geat that conects the axles? Also i couldnt find the little pin everyone was talking about i tried to remove the 4 screws that are on the spur gear and it wouldnt come apart? Does this mean that the pins are intact? So i know that the gear that touches the 8t pinion was stripped so i think that was the problem. Any input on this is much appreciated, thanks again!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
pc1

See..., it wasn't that hard to take apart! Yes, the metal gears comes with a 10 tooth pinion. The new RS10's have 8's. You can order hardened 8t pinions thou. I'd advise you to get the ones that have been retapped to fit a 1/8 allen. The stock pinions set screws are a bitch to get off. The stock pinions will work with the matal gears but it won't last long. The pins we speak of is behind the round piece of plastic on the other side of the spur that the 4 phillips screws hold. I also say put new pins in it even if not broke. You will have to take them out to replace the gears with matal ones anyway. Google ZNO-RC and look at their redcat stuff. They have the gears and pinions. Good folks to deal with.