Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: **Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

With the axle setup like this, there was just a couple expected bug to work out. mainly a lot of slopp in the suspension. No prob. all fixable.
firstly, I always thought the upper links were mounted WAY too high, so I drilled a lower hole and put em right beside the battery. Works worlds better!

Secondley, if you've ever had your shocks mounted on bent links, you know they flopp all over the place, and those damn rs plastic shock mounts gotta go. Luckily, the clocked axles open up a perfect angle for the axle mount mod. I did this with 3mm bolts. I had to trim a corner on the servo mount, but I'm right outta the way of the motor, and the tires turn on an angle so the tuck right UNDER the shock and never hit it! I flipped my shocks upside down, just to lower that cg even more.

Since I'm still using the stock shocks, I figured I'd just extend them with a chunk of cutting board. This was a rough cut, so its function over fashion till I get some spare time. They now sit at 115mm. I may get some 120mm aluminum shocks when I has money again, but this works just fine.

With clocked axles AND my homemade high steer, the diff housing is actually IN FRONT of my steering rod.

And yes, she crawls like snot.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Had an epic crawl session last night on the beach rock. On second thought, 120mm shocks would give me TOO MUCH travel. my extended shocks are the perfect amount right now. actually the whole truck performed amazing. I love this setup. the only thing holding back now are the stock motors.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Here's a video torture test! It's a rough draft, and I need to learn to edit, But it shows that these red cats can CRAWL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklsekgi9jY

Here's the cut version. 5min long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbCwJiv4U0

Last edited by The Jackalope; 04-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Since the suspension redesign, I have switched to lipo. the problem now is, the stock shocks were tuned to the weight of the stick battery. now my lipo doesn't have enough sprung weight to keep all four wheels on the ground. I need to find some lighter springs, then tune the wheel weights to those. more to come.

I just ordered the Big Boy 540 kits from ZNO with some 45t's. can't wait to see this thing rip with those bad boys.

also, been working on a second body with a bit of a scale look to it. It's my jeep rubicon body, so I can hang with the honchos every other weekend.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Sweet on the 540's, That will be an upcoming mod for me. I just recieved my 800mah 3s lipos today, but gotta wait for my castle link to come so I can put my cutoff back on. These guys are TINY.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Actually, I love the way this steering handles. the benefits out-weigh the rockrash so far. I haven't had any hang-ups yet, they've slid over most everything, but I might make a skid from axle to motor. But we'll see how that does with the 540's, may have to reduce it a bit .
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Here's my Second body on my cat. aiming for a scaler look, without sacrificing performance. Jeep rubicon from a newbright rockcrawler. I cut out the entire floor, and raised it up to lower the body on the chassis. I gained over an inch.

then the shitty paintjob. Imperfections give it character.

Last edited by The Jackalope; 04-27-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Since the suspension redesign, I have switched to lipo. the problem now is, the stock shocks were tuned to the weight of the stick battery. now my lipo doesn't have enough sprung weight to keep all four wheels on the ground. I need to find some lighter springs, then tune the wheel weights to those. more to come.

I just ordered the Big Boy 540 kits from ZNO with some 45t's. can't wait to see this thing rip with those bad boys.

also, been working on a second body with a bit of a scale look to it. It's my jeep rubicon body, so I can hang with the honchos every other weekend.
I got the ZNO big boy kit along with the 45Ts as well and I love them, tons of power. So much that I snapped a rear knuckle when it got in a bind.
huffman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffman81 View Post
I got the ZNO big boy kit along with the 45Ts as well and I love them, tons of power. So much that I snapped a rear knuckle when it got in a bind.
How is the wheelspeed vrs torque? in hindsight, would you reccamend a different # of turns? I thought about going 35t and trust the torque would still be enough. I love it when I can "jump" from rock to rock.

ZNO say they are shipping my order tomorrow. I have till then to change/add stuff.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

How much run time are you getting with the lipo. Does it get more torque or wheel speed? I'm getting lipo also just want to make sure. Thanks
msmith0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith0322 View Post
How much run time are you getting with the lipo. Does it get more torque or wheel speed? I'm getting lipo also just want to make sure. Thanks
I have a 2450mah 2s. I run it for about 45 min and stop, cuz I don't have a cutoff device. my charger gave it about 2300mah after that, so I could go longer but I'm usually good by then.

The wheelspeed is up a bit and so is the torque, But I wouldn't say it's a whole new truck. 3S is another story.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Chopped the belly, lowered the chassis, and a new body.
I'm by no means done this overhaul, but here's a sneek peek.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

here's a pic of the cut chassis. I wanted to push the battery as far forward as possible and keep it low. And I am trying to improve breakover capabilities. I am keeping the stock skid for now, but I am gluing a thin piece of cutting board to it and extending it forward to protect the battery.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

NEW SHOCK MOUNTS
I've been dreaming about these for 2 months now. I figured the axle mounted shock mod would work better if you could just mount to the TOP of the axle, and closer to the steering knuckle, then bring the top shock mount closer in to the chassis and still clear the motor, and the tire at full steer.

Here's what I came up with.

A little unwanted/uneeded plastic removed from the servo tray makes everything fit nicely

here you can see how it JUST clears the tire and link at full throw

Old 05-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Nice, way to go buddy.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #36
RCC Addict

That's not a bad idea for a shock mount. Someone could manufacture something like that fairly easily. Good job!
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
That's not a bad idea for a shock mount. Someone could manufacture something like that fairly easily. Good job!
I hope they do. this is just chromed brass. they seem strong but if they bend, I'll have to make some from aluminum(version 2.0)

Finally finished installing the new brackets. Back to stock shocks too; I removed my shock extensions since my chassis mounts are alot lower now. (pic 2) The shocks are really layed out now, which makes them feel a lot softer too. I like it, but I may have to go back up to 100wt oil to keep them smooth. (pic 3) I also acheived a much EASIER path for inserting the battery. Lipo AND stock stick; Above the rear upper links.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

BODY SHOTS

I'm not going to paint the rally-buggy body just yet. instead I just gave it the sticker treatment to keep with the 'canadian crawler' theme.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

WOMEN!

After wrenching on this thing all night, and updating this thread, my girlfriend says to me around midnight; "Hey did you see this package that came for you (and I hid behind the couch and didn't tell you about till bedtime), What the heck is ZNO anyways? "

in case you can't tell, big-boy kit, 45t rcw4d's, and double duece foams

Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

no time yet to install the 540's, But I got some rock-time on the chassis and shock mods.

If you haven't changed or cut your chassis yet, DO IT!!!

Wow this thing climbs. 90* breakovers? just mash the throttle, she'll pull ya right over. can't wait to see what 540s will do. But I think I better limit the articulation. 85* is definitly too much