Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: motor upgrade opinions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default motor upgrade opinions.

After much research through past posts, I've come to 2 choices. Please inform me if I'm way out to lunch here.

I could get the Holmes hobbies cobalt 454 pullers (at your choice of turn). These seem to be tried and tested on this rig and guys seem quit happy with them.

cobalts, 2 @ $39.99 = $79.98

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=0&page=1

OR

I could get the ZNO big boy kit for the 540's, and while I'm at it, order their RC4WD motors. I've heard less about these but I know guys are running them. then I at least have the option of any other 540 on the market too.

Big Boy kit $41.99
rc4wd 45t, 2 @ $9.99 = $61.97

http://zno-rc.com/pages/products/RWD...hed_motor.html

can I expect close to the same results with these 2 choices? the financial choice seems obvious at $20 less, but thats a $10 motor compared to a $40 motor. Get what you pay for?

open to opinions, options, and bashes................go.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the 454 11 turns, and the startup on the motors is a little touchy for really slow crawling. These motors are fast and you need a light trigger finger for slow crawling, if you want to go with Holmes Hobbies I would suggest going with the 16 turn motors, they cost a little more but I think you will be happier in the long run. On the other hand, the ZNO kit is going to open up a huge amount of options for you, I'm tempted to try it myself.
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The cobalt motors are definitely touchy at first and take some getting use to, but I like mine a lot. I've not heard anything about the rc4wd motors, in general, but I doubt they would be a terrible choice. If you put those motors in a rig, and had a rig with lower turn cobalts next to it...there's a very drastic difference in the performance of both motors...so they won't be similar at all, really. The thing it comes down to is budget and replacements. If you have the budget for the HH motors, then they're a great choice. However, if you want something a little less expensive, and easier to find replacements if one of them messes up, go the 540 route.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would go with the 540's. I have some cheap integy 55t motors in mine and it is worlds better than stock, very little clod stall now. Plus if you convert to 540's now and later want some better motors, you can always upgrade when you have the funds. A lot more options with the 540's if you ask me. Just my $.02
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I think I'm ordering up the 540 kits. now just to pick a motor.

I'm just guessing here, 45t is the best of both speed and torque for the rc4wd motor? then drop to 35t for a bit more speed, and just expect that 540's will push this bad boy around no prob? Wish these were rebuildable.

hell, its only money, lets get some novak 55's and call it a day.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
I would go with the 540's. I have some cheap integy 55t motors in mine and it is worlds better than stock, very little clod stall now. Plus if you convert to 540's now and later want some better motors, you can always upgrade when you have the funds. A lot more options with the 540's if you ask me. Just my $.02

Checked your link. looks like I should be buying some reworked motors off of You instead, if I switch to lipo of course.