Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Default good choice?

I'm new to the site and I'm just getting into crawling and have been looking at the redcat rst10xt. It seems like a pretty capable rig for the price. It also looks like it could easily be upgraded as my skill increases. I know it could use some different tires, and different servos. Do you guys have suggestions for some good servos? Also do you guys have any suggestions on mods, upgrades, and parts that should be replaced for it. I would replace the body too, I don't really like the one it comes with. I don't plan on competing with it, just crawling for fun and I plan on making a course. Sorry about all the questions.
ASG#930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

First of all, welcome to the site. The XT is a great rig to start out with, despite the few things that need upgrading on it. For servos, you'll get tons of different answers since there are so many servos available. I've personally owned a hitec 645mg and a rc4wd mayhem servo, both of which did just fine. The mayhem servo is a bit nicer, though.

Secondly, do a LOT of reading in this section of the forum and you will most likely find answers to future questions you may have. As for mods/upgrades...check out the official tips and tricks thread, found here:

Official RS10 tips and tricks thread.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

In my humble opinion, This thing is great because by the time you have upgraded it, you still paid less than the OTHER guys.

What I did was order the steel gear sets and servos WITH my RS. I've never run it on the stock gears. While your changing the gears, replace the weak diff pin with something stronger(see tips and tricks thread). A good set of steel gear servos, and shes ready to take whatever you wanna throw at her.
Any mod after that is just personal preference

here's my servos. I got all the above from crawford.
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...&products_id=2
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The RS10 is a very capable rig for the price, but not so much in stock form. Be prepared to upgrade a few things if you want it to live up to what it's capable of though, servos are inevitable because the stock ones are not going to handle the abuse that crawling is about. Secondly, tires are not so good either. If you don't mind spending some money to upgrade, go for it! I love my RS10, it performs really well, but the only stock parts left are the axles themselves. This forum is the best place to learn about crawlers so read up, and good luck
RICrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It was one of my first crawlers and gave me many months of fun with little to no problems. With the basic upgrades it handles fairly well, but it never did well in comps. so i used more for GTG or playing on the course in my yard. So go for it you wont regret it.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I looked at the tips and tricks thread and it looks like it will help out with quite a few of my questions if I get a redcat. How would it do with upgraded servos and tires compared to most RTR crawlers.

Last edited by ASG#930; 04-22-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
RCC Addict

once you install a new servo and tires its like a new crawler, well worth the investment.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Mine runs with and outruns the big boys....but then again I've thrown a small fortune into it lol
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG#930 View Post
Thanks for the info. I looked at the tips and tricks thread and it looks like it will help out with quite a few of my questions if I get a redcat. How would it do with upgraded servos and tires compared to most RTR crawlers.
Well, with upgrades it's gonna be fairly decent against other box stock RTR rigs. As with any rig, it depends on if you take the time to learn to tune the thing and spend a lot of time driving it. If you do, you'll have a fairly capable rig...but if you don't, it won't do well at all.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabandit1 View Post
Mine runs with and outruns the big boys....but then again I've thrown a small fortune into it lol
video or its not true
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
video or its not true
mmm hmm touche salesman
tyrod_emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
video or its not true
Forgot the rules of the internet lol
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i just got an rs10xt and it works really well, went and climbed some hills and rocks and stuff with it, my first crawler too. Red cat stuff is pretty good. I own 2 other redcat brushless vehicles, parts are easy to get and they dont cost a fortune either. As for the rs10 the first thing i found was the body they give u is kind of ugly and it doest fit properly and bangs on the upper links, you will notice many people have trimmed the body down. The tires are also ok, but not that great on rocks, they dont grip as well as some aftermarket tires you can get.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

didn't like mine either so made a costum parmr 51 panel truack for it made a lote changes add sidepipes a bloner ang grave igger decals com with it witch i cut up and put my own on got one left to do a crome pice that run on hood of orginal truck then i'll be done.
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #15

Thanks for the help. I just ordered a rs10 xt. I also ordered steel gears, one servo (I think I might lock the rear steer, not sure yet), and am gonna switch the drive pin with something stronger. I think those upgrades should keep me going a while. I think I might try to switch the body with one from a cheap rc truck from walmart too.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG#930 View Post
Thanks for the help. I just ordered a rs10 xt. I also ordered steel gears, one servo (I think I might lock the rear steer, not sure yet), and am gonna switch the drive pin with something stronger. I think those upgrades should keep me going a while. I think I might try to switch the body with one from a cheap rc truck from walmart too.

Wait, that sounds familiar.
Oh yeah. ME! about 2 months ago. Besides a set of tires I had allready aquired. Makes a real strong platform to start with.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #17

Default update

It came friday night and spent most of saturday messing around with it. I'm very happy with it. I've decided to keep the rear steer. Can't wait until I get some more money for more mods, I feel that with some other upgrades it will make a great crawler for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i got mine april 11, i played with it, then i took it apart and started upgrading it, i got 2 steel gear servos, 4 tires, new links, new shocks, mounted the shocks to the axels, got a new body.......well you get the point. You will probably go through allot of hardware like nuts and bolts and ends and mounting balls and stuff.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote