Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 540 swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 540 swap

Was thinking about putting 540 motors in my redcat. What are some of the things i need to know as far as wiring, can i use stock electronics and how much bigger are 540s then stock and anything else important
87silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well, the 540s are considerabely larger than stockers; you will likely need to do some bending on your links. Wiring should be no different than the stock motors are wired; nothing tricky there. Your biggest hurdle will be modding your gearcase assembly to accept the 540s. You could take the easy, costly route and buy the Big Boy Kit from ZNO. Or you could just buy the DIY kit from them and do some modding yourself and save a little cash. Or lastly, do all the modding and save some bucks. And your stock electronics should handle many 540 motors fine, just dont try to go too low on turns; esc may not be able to handle it.
crawlHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Im running axial bent links now. Do you think they would be ok. I have a couple of monster patrols and i know they run 540 motors but no clue about the specs on them or wear to find them
Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You will need to bend your lower links into "S" shape to clear the larger motors then come back up to give ground clearance. And you may need to bend your uppers depending on your setup; a slight bend like a "C" shape to prevent contact when articulating.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i had the redcat and i wanted to go to the bigger motors but i was like fu** it and just bought bully axles and ill tell you best thing i coulda done!! ten times the crawler now!
krazycrawler888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Are there any motors out there that have more power but not to much bigger then the stockers. I just looked at the 540s in the rc i was gonna take them out of and they looked huge
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

540s are a great upgrade for the redcat! BUT as for the stock size, there arent many with great power. You could put some money down on some HH pullers; or just check tips and tricks section for other stock size suggestions--or search forums for more suggestions. IMO the 540s are well worth the swap mods (which aren't that brutal)--it will open you up to lots and lots of good motor selections!!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
RCC Addict

The only issue with 380 sized motors is there aren't many options suitable for this crawler. You have the HH motors, which most people think are too pricey. Some of the cheaper motors on the tips and tricks thread haven't been tried by anyone, so you'd be walking into that blindly. Unless you're feeling adventurous or wanting to spend money...I would suggest looking at some of these builds that have the 540's and doing that mod.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

So does anyone know of a "shorter" 540 on the market?

Most ppl just S shape their lower links, but, My links are more beside my moter than under them due to my caster setup.
Figured I'd repost this since it got lost in the rcc poweroutage.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycrawler888 View Post
i had the redcat and i wanted to go to the bigger motors but i was like fu** it and just bought bully axles and ill tell you best thing i coulda done!! ten times the crawler now!
I did the same thing then bought a ugc viper chassis and love it. Im now building my 6 year old a bj v3 chassis crawler with my old rs10 axles and ill probably put 540 in it just because!
cumminsontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote