Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: anyone raise the lower links and cut the chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default anyone raise the lower links and cut the chassis

i have been thinking about raising my lower links and cutting the belly to gain about 3/4 inch ground clearence. im just wondering if my center of gravity will be to high if i do it. has anyone tried this? I raised my links to try it but i did not cut the chassis yet in case i dont like it. i noticed that i lost some of my flex but that may just be a shock adjustment to fix that. It just seems to bind up a little because i can flex it by hand it just wont flex on its own.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Theoretically if you simply move your lower links, cut the chassis, and keep the electronics in their stock location, your center of gravity should stay close to the same. That all depends on where you mount your battery, though. If the battery weight is raised, COG will be higher.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I cut approx 1/2" inch off mine and moved the links inside and up and have had no issues. Still have great flex and cog remained the same as my battery is velcro to bottom of electronics tray. And yes a little shock adjustment will get you where you need to be..
jacks766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So you put the links on the inside of the plate and the stock location on the axle? do you have your shocks mounted on the links or the axle and how much ground clearence do you have? sorry so many questions im new to this
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I did something similar to jacks; however I dropped my electronics down on top of skid and got rid of the electronics tray. Then have my battery velcroed under front upper links for front weight bias.
crawlHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You can click the link in my signature to get an idea of one cheap way to maintain reasonable antisquat in the rear. If you can mount the upper links lower down on the axle side that is better, but he just smashed 2 steering arms together to make a quick and dirty mounting point. Search "antisquat tech" and get an idea of what is going on. It's not too difficult to set it up.

Last edited by opek; 08-22-2011 at 06:54 PM.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have my Shocks mounted to my axles. I made a little bracket that actually holds them above the lower links on the axle... (I found later that there is actually someone selling a prefab bkt) In this pic I have the links on the outside but I moved them back in...

jacks766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
s74

I installed the shock absorbers and links to the axle. And my chassis bottom cut off
s74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Fan of wheelspeed

I'd change that skid to Delrin, use a 3/8 cutting board to make one. Just a thought.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote