Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Warranty Item For XT???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Warranty Item For XT???

Yesterday I pulled my wheels and trimmed the stock foam and noticed that the wheel had grabbed at the power wire to my rear motor and broken it off at the motor housing.... Tried to take it to the local Rc shop to see if they were any better at soldering than me.They were not. So I hope Redcat will replace the motor. The rig came with a notice that the XT has larger motors, and I needed to "bend" the tabs so the wires would clear the tires. I did but I guess not enough.(didn't want to beak them) Go figure. Anyone else had this happen with the XT? I have maybe 1 hour of playtime total on this crawler kinda steamed.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There were a few posts a while back, when the XT was first released about this happening. Try contacting redcat about a replacement.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

I this to mine as well. I contacted the seller i got the crawler from and he replaced it for me. He said he got the motor from redcat warranty department so im gonna say they will help you out.
mchury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i had to fix mine, due to the wire size, you have to get alot of heat into it. i am looking at some repair options, all are looking some variant on 90 degree connector of some sort
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

My XT did the same thing a couple days after I got it. Redcat was very cool and sent me a motor right away. They said there should've been a paper in there telling me how to fix this problem, but there wasn't. Fill out their warranty form and they will contact you in a day or two and send you out a motor.
Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Cool, I shall remain optimistic! I'll keep you all posted on the warramty process and effectiveness.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Wooaah!! Redcat is on it! they are already sending me a new rear motor. Now thats Customer service!
Anyone looked into making a pseudo-skidplate for the engines to protect the wires or any other solutions? I like the 90 Degree bend but I am not sure how to fab that up. I am thinking , like a flattened spoon design with an arm that can be fastened to the motor housing via hoseclamp type device.. Feedback?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i was just going to mod a spade or some similar wire connector and run the wire along the side of the motor and secure it with zip ties, in the RC crawler world, zip ties are our duct tape.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default motor

I think they should be able to pull a motor from a new unit and send in yours as a warranty replace. Dont know why the dealer didnt do that.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

I just bent the lower tab up and zip-tied the wire to the motor. I'm sure you'll see that on others in the pictures section. This works well. I've also seen electrical tape across the end of motor covering connections. I read that Redcat's customer service was good and they proved it to me also.
Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I ordered online so the dealer wasn't an option the website said take all warranty issues up with manufacturer. Billy from Redcat is all over it and was curteous as well. Thanks for all the ideas and examples guys.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Fan of wheelspeed

I wrapped a peice of electrical tape over the end of the motor tightly and then put a zip tie around that. I havent had any issue at all. Also, if you havent replaced those stock tires yet, go ahead and pick some out. The stockers were a issue on mine so I went with a set of Losi Claws. The stock tires suck really bad anyway. If you dont want to buy tires, cut the very inside lug off the tires and they wont snag the wires anymore.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Motor wires

Ifound some L shaped brass wire connectors from the local radio shack, unsoldered the wires then soldered these on , now the wires are on top of the can instead of the endbell end,coated the brass with liquid tape an all the soldered ends also, cutting the inside tire lugs off is also a great idea, end of problem rubbing /snagging wires .
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Awesome! I like the L shape set up got any pics? Yeah, I am prolly gonna go for servos and aluminium servo horn before tires... But I will definitely shave the inside of the stocker. Thanks again all.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Wooaah!! Redcat is on it! they are already sending me a new rear motor. Now thats Customer service!
Anyone looked into making a pseudo-skidplate for the engines to protect the wires or any other solutions? I like the 90 Degree bend but I am not sure how to fab that up. I am thinking , like a flattened spoon design with an arm that can be fastened to the motor housing via hoseclamp type device.. Feedback?

How long did it take for your new Motor to arrive? i have a new XT recieved it last night, and had less than an hour of runtime before the rear motor wire was broken. The front steering servo also stripped! i have new metal gear high torque servos on the way, but i wanna play with it Darn it!

Last edited by Ballplayer4408; 10-26-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added content
Ballplayer4408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The same happened to me even with bending the wires. I got my new motor with in the week I talked to them.
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #17

It took Redcat less than 4 hours to get back to me! They are sending me a new motor and new gears for my front servo! Amazing customer service!!! Thank you Derek at Redcat!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Huh. thats funny I got my replacement motor within 4 business days and now guess what? My front servo is stripped... gonna hit Billy at Redcat up tonight with an email and see where this leads. Or, should I even bother? I thought order the mayhem steel gear servo and use my rear servo till the mayhem arives. Thoughts?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Huh. thats funny I got my replacement motor within 4 business days and now guess what? My front servo is stripped... gonna hit Billy at Redcat up tonight with an email and see where this leads. Or, should I even bother? I thought order the mayhem steel gear servo and use my rear servo till the mayhem arives. Thoughts?
They are sending me new gears for the front servo also, but I do have a pair of high torque mg946r metal gear servos ordered and on their way. So I would for nothing other than as a spare for when you are out bashin around.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Definitely.