Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My RS10-XT build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My RS10-XT build thread

Alright, my Son and I were going to turn his Clod into a crawler. He realized he could get the 1/8 Super for $230 AND get a CPE Predator Chassis for his Clod on his budget.

Anyway, this turned me onto Redcat products. I went ahead and ordered an RS10-XT for myself. You know, so we can spend some quality time together... this will be my build thread.

The RS is on the way now. While I'm waiting I've been doing some research on this forum, and I now have the following parts on the way:

Servos
Crawford Performance Engineering : CPE-SER4: CYS Hi-Torque Metal Gear Servo - $19.99

High clearance steering kits:
Crawford Performance Engineering : CPE-HCRS10STR: RS10 Hi-Clearance Steering Link - $9.99

Tires:
Hot Bodies 2.2 ROVER CRAWLING TIRE Soft (2)

Steel Gears:
RS10 Steel Gear Set with 10T Pinion

HD Pins:
RS10 2.5mm Hardened Steel Drive Pin

Spur Gear Pin Plates:
RS10 Aluminum Spur Gear Pin Plate

Body:
http://prolineracing.com/bodies/volk...-crawler-body/

Battery:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330639677481...#ht_1791wt_871

Also ordered aluminum servo horns. Other than that, that's it for now. I think this addresses the weakest points from what I've been reading here. I will eventually get some bent Derain links and maybe the ZNO chassis plates, etc...

Last edited by BackToThePast; 11-28-2011 at 01:45 PM.
BackToThePast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

sounds like a good start, i myself still run stock plastic gears-i keep a little grease on them and no problems at all yet except for bustin diff pins( i figure if the pins broke and didn't hurt the gears why spend that $40) and you can make the delrin links and chassis plates yourself if you can operate a jig/coping/scroll saw- i bought enuff delrin to make my chassis,skid, and three full sets of links 1 upper set and 2 lower sets from amazon for about $30...check it out-badd bug build
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
sounds like a good start, i myself still run stock plastic gears-i keep a little grease on them and no problems at all yet except for bustin diff pins( i figure if the pins broke and didn't hurt the gears why spend that $40) and you can make the delrin links and chassis plates yourself if you can operate a jig/coping/scroll saw- i bought enuff delrin to make my chassis,skid, and three full sets of links 1 upper set and 2 lower sets from amazon for about $30...check it out-badd bug build
Yeah, I was already ordering from ZNO anyway so I just picked up the gears. $26 for both sets. I'm already gonna have it apart so I figured I'd just throw them in. The extra weight down low won't hurt either I figure. Also, I think I might try the 540 conversion eventually...

I don't have any tools for making my own Derlin stuff, but yours came out killer.

I forgot, I also ordered the Proline bug body and a 3300 MaH battery. I updated the original post to reflect this.

Well, my Boys CPE Predater chassis for his Clod came in the mail today. Guess I'm off to the garage!

Last edited by BackToThePast; 11-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToThePast View Post
I don't have any tools for making my own Derlin stuff, but yours came out killer.
You don't really need any major tools to work with delrin if you have patience. When I made my links, all I used was a drill, pipe cutter, and a drill bushing I bought from JeepinDoug on here. I already owned the drill and the pipe cutter and drill bushing were less than $15. I had previously made chassis plates using a dremel tool, which takes a little creativity and patience, but can be done.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
You don't really need any major tools to work with delrin if you have patience. When I made my links, all I used was a drill, pipe cutter, and a drill bushing I bought from JeepinDoug on here. I already owned the drill and the pipe cutter and drill bushing were less than $15. I had previously made chassis plates using a dremel tool, which takes a little creativity and patience, but can be done.
i did see a how to on using 1/4" round delrin but i made mine from 1/4" sheet and used a scroll saw
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

backyard building-redneck style.

$4 cutting board (delrin)
bench vise
hacksaw
drill with wood bits
sandpaper

I built a high steer, shaped lower links, and a skid plate. No prob
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
backyard building-redneck style.

$4 cutting board (delrin)
bench vise
hacksaw
drill with wood bits
sandpaper

I built a high steer, shaped lower links, and a skid plate. No prob
hell yeah-improvise-use what you got...i have used cutting board for some trial links-it's alot cheaper than delrin for xperimenting
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Alright guys, I'm all in now. I ordered the following tonight:

-Axial 30 degree bent links
-Aluminum Venom shocks

I think I'll order the Derlin chassis from ZNO tomorrow. I can't find much info on it so I want to talk with them first.

I'm all in for making my own stuff, but this stuff is so inexpensive compared to the Clod stuff I'm used to, I just can't see myself doing trial and error in my cold garage in December!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

hey i sent u a pm just something you mite want to look at
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

For your battery go with 5000 or eaven 5300mAh NiMh stick pack, you'll have a much longer run time.
Big Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOYrs10 View Post
hey i sent u a pm just something you mite want to look at
Thanks for the info on the chassis. I do appreciate it. I went ahead and ordered the ZNO Bullseye plates and their narrow chassis kit though. The plates were only $16, and the narrow chassis $30.

I REALLY like to order from a place that I can actually call on the phone and talk with someone in the know

Now just waiting for everything to arrive...

Last edited by BackToThePast; 11-30-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pitt View Post
For your battery go with 5000 or eaven 5300mAh NiMh stick pack, you'll have a much longer run time.
Hey thanks. I already ordered the 3300 though. We have a few other 3000's laying around too, so its just a matter of swapping batts out if the 3300 isn't long enough!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well, I finally got the truck in the mail today. Threw one of the Boy's 5000 mAH's in and went bashing. Now, since I'm pretty much going to replace just about everything on the truck, I was NOT easy with it...

It took all of five minutes for the front servo to start clicking, and just a few more to break an upper link bolt. Im thinking of using all Traxxas rod ends so I can use bigger bolts.

It was fun while it lasted though! Can't wait to rebuild it and have some real fun!

Here's the aftermath:

Like I said, I was pretty hard on the truck. I won't drive it like that once its done. We were having a blast though! I have to say that the 1/8 is MUCH more durable out of the box than the little guy. My Boy's been putting it through it's paces everyday since he got it. Usually both of his 5000's in a row.

Last edited by BackToThePast; 12-05-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My RS10-XT build thread

OK, this project has gotten MUCH larger than I initially planned. I've ordered just about everything's ZNO sells at this point. I just ordered a set of Integy 55T Lathe motors, so I will be calling ZNO again on Monday to order the 540 cases.

How much of a difference do you guys think it will make with the 540's staying with 7.2V? Kinda tapped out for RC money with all the other stuff I bought recently... Don't want to buy another battery and lipo cut off, or upgrade the ESC, right now.

I have a pile of parts. Tear down begins next week when I have a little time!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The 540 motors will make a HUGE difference, even if staying with the same voltage. More Power, amlost no clod-stall, and a much stronger drag brake. I went with 45t motors and found the speed was identical to stock. If you want it to go FASTER, then consider maybe a 35t motor setup, OR a higher voltage battery system.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Cool, thanks for that. I ordered the Bog Boy kit from ZNO today along with some 10 tooth pinions. I hope I made the right choice on the pinions. That's what they suggested. The guy told me torque would not be an issue, so no need to go with the 8's.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Finally found some time to get started on the rebuild tonight.

First, out with the old...

This is what's left of the original truck:

Still have to open the axles and put the steel gears in.

Guess I should've just got a set of axles! You'd think I would know this after messing with Clods. Oh well. In my defense though, this was never supposed to be this big of a project. Once again, a lesson I should've learned my now...

Got the Rovers on the new rims tonight. This took MUCH longer than I thought!

Hopefully I can do more tomorrow.

Last edited by BackToThePast; 12-22-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Still waiting for the Big Boy Kit, the second motor, and various screws, etc... SO, I started messing with the ZNO chassis and got the body ready to paint. Off to the LHS now to pick up the paint.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

WOW - talk about starting from scratch. Those rims and rings are sweet. Will be watching as progress photos are posted. Keep'em coming!
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIRN View Post
WOW - talk about starting from scratch. Those rims and rings are sweet. Will be watching as progress photos are posted. Keep'em coming!
Thank you!

Alright, I got the body done. The green just wont show up the color that it actually is. It's a much nicer color than it looks in these pics. I also did the CKRC logo with matalic blue. I can't get that to show up either. Oh well, it looks much better than the pics show, but yoiu get the idea...

I didn't bother painting the inside all one color at the end, because I'm going to shoe goo most of it and put Velcro on both side panels for the Velcro body mounts anyway. So, it will all end up black in there anyway in the end

I tried everything I could to find the right lighting to take the pictures. I even enlisted the ginger bread ladies to hold it up for me!

Last edited by BackToThePast; 12-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.