Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: lipo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default lipo question

I am going to ask here first and it no one knows, i will go ask in the correct sub forum.

I was doing some reading on lipos and read the you can get packs with 2sets of seriesth cells wired in parallel to in increase capacity. So it would be say a 2s2p pack. does that mean if i bought a set of 2s packs, that i could wire a parallel adapter to them? I was curious about this before and now i am even more so. i dont seewhy not, so long as the packs are identical and properly balanced. Thoughts?
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: lipo question

Yes, can be done.

Lithium Polymer (Lipo) Battery Guide - ProtoTalk.net

Personally, for a crawler I'd buy the manufactured pack with the specs I needed rather than link muli cell packs with a harness.

But then again, what did you have in mind?

Also, checkout 18650 Lithium cells. Much easier to assemble packs and still 3.4Vs per cell. You can get them with voltage protection built in to each cell so things don't go BOOM. Have been meaning to try a two and three cell 2400mah 18650 pack in the Rockslide. It's on the ever growing "list."
CAIRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

well i am looking at buying two of the zippy 2200mah packs and running the harness. they are ebay, 2 packs and the harness for like 40 bucks. i think this will get me the weight distribution i want and still give me good run time. not looking for a ton of performance, just capacity. i might move up to the banebots down the road, but for now i like my setup. do wish there was an option between 2s and 3s, 11 volts is kinda pushing it on the stock ECS lol. i could up grade the ECS later, but for now that is very low on my "list". i was going to stick with Nimh, but i think i over discharged and then in turn over charged one of my 800 Mah packs, by the time i buy some 5000 Mah packs and extra charges, i can buy these lipos and half a charger. maybe i can get this all for Father's day ;)
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

There's nothing at all wrong with using multiple packs to get the "size" you want. I've been doing it with airplanes for years. It's much more versatile that way- you can parallel as many packs as you want. Buying packs with parallel cells IMHO is a bad idea- you get a better matching charge with separate packs.
MuddyOval is offline   Reply With Quote

lipo question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo question adamargue Electronics 6 10-29-2010 03:05 PM
??lipo question?? 73formulabird Electronics 7 03-15-2010 09:04 PM
mm and lipo question SUPERCLODBUS Electronics 5 02-06-2009 09:37 PM
7.4v LIPO and 11.1v Lipo and charger question and help. 4x4Crawler4LIFE Electronics 5 02-27-2008 09:15 PM
lipo question cossack Electronics 1 03-03-2007 12:42 PM