Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: chassis idea...brass knuckles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Default chassis idea...brass knuckles?

so i was cleaning my garage the other day. And in the back of one of my toolbox drawers i found an old set of brass knuckles which got me to thinking. They are about the right length to make a chassis. i would have to have them add a little more material around the edges for mounting points and what not before sending it to the cnc. Was thinking itd be something different you dont see everyday. with all that said i would need to have the the chassis custom cut out of lightweight material ideally aluminum on a cnc. im thinking about 1/8 inch thick or so. And then make a jig for the drill press so i can get all my mounting holes drilled out identically on each piece. I was also thinking i could take some thin round bar maybe like 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch and atach the two sides in a hoop/ rollcage looking thing at the joint where each finger hole is. Im undecided about skinning it or not. actually undecided about a lot of things....feel free to bust my balls, give me ideas,and tell me what you think before i actually pull the trigger on doing this.
gotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

The place i was going to have water jet me some 1/8 inch knuckles for the chassis finally got back to me with a price.......needless to say they are freaking nuts if they think im going to pay them $60. so i guess im going to order an r1 chassis

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: chassis idea...brass knuckles?

Anything custom with metals will cost, IMO the r1 chassis isn't worth it unless your going scale but with moa it wouldn't be so scale. It ability for crawling isn't too good but I don't know how much it cost's so depending on how much and whether it's worth it. Just my opinion
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #4

Really?..... hadnt really heard much about the chassis as performance.id just always liked the tube look and saw tgat irs a relatively easy swap.yeah i originally qas going to go scale with a jeep xj body but decided against it for that very reason.....moa doesnt look scale....maybe ill keep looking for chassis ideas

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

integy tube chassis on amazon was $30 and holds up well to what my in-laws like to do to the rig.... check my thread. "built tube style for the little man"
Mr. Make it Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i just looked on amazon and the only one had a receiver pack that would get in the way,and it was $65.... so ebay link below, or search-

"Integy Universal Steel Roll Cage For R/C 2.2 Crawler" hurry only 3 left.

Integy Universal Steel Roll Cage for R C 2 2 Crawler INTC23041 | eBay

tcs made a nice one too that i cant find anymore called the eclipse, but my friend has one that he wont sell. it is a little smaller than the integy and would look less "scale" hope this helps.

Last edited by Mr. Make it Work; 02-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

For comp crawling any tube chassis wouldn't be so good because of the weight for trailing they would be fine.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

found it and its bucks too.. $70 ouch.
Package Deal, save $10 - TCS Eclipse AX10 Tube Frame and Eclipse Bag Parts (frame SKU15236 and bag SKU28525) - The Crawlers Store LLC
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Yeah that sux the tsc is so much i like that one the most.but if i did buy it id still need an ax10 frame so itd end up costing me more coin....on the flip side its still cheaper then putting parts on my jeeps haha

Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #10

although after really looking at the tcs i wud have to fab up a way to make it work with the 4link but i guess u pretty much have to do that with any of the chassis. i just ordered some aluminum servo mounts (one of mine are twisted and i was to lazy to make one) and some aluminum hubs. maybe with the next paycheck ill buy a chassis

chassis idea...brass knuckles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Brass Knuckles vs slugs - math on weight comparison Mysterious Axial XR10 4 06-18-2012 12:38 PM
Brass tubing idea.... tjb Tools, and Procedures 3 07-25-2007 01:32 AM