Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Is the Gen 8 pretty durable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Default Is the Gen 8 pretty durable?

Looking at getting a scale crawler. I currently have a Gmade Sawback which I barely use and a Axial Wraith.
I'm in Australia so everything is very expensive here. The Traxxas Tr4 is around $800 (no idea why..) and the Axial crawlers are only a little less.

I can get the Gen8 for around $450 which is around $150 cheaper than the Axial 10.2. just wondering if they're are pretty durable? I was about to buy one but a friend who has the Gen7 told me to avoid it as he's had lots of issues with his. Not sure if the Gen8 has addressed the issues?
The only other option in my price range is the Hobao DC1, which looks great from a quality perspective but doesn't seem to have much of a following. Also looks a bit top heavy.
Coopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #2

Default Re: Is the Gen 8 pretty durable?

i have the axe edition, which is nice. i have only driven it twice, but it is pretty awesome. the turning radius is amazing.

i am new to crawling, but i can tell you it is built very well. i have many rc cars for different classes, and this is really terrific.
milesFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

Yes, it's durable. Some people have had issues with the axles and axle housings, but those parts have been upgraded, plus Redcat offers even stronger axles affordably in the event that you manage to destroy the improved design.

Every truck will have some broken parts if you hammer it, but with the improved parts that Redcat is using, the Gen8 should be as reliable as the other major trucks. I've got the upgraded axles and axle housings sitting here, unused because I still haven't broken the original (non-improved) parts on my truck even though I run it primarily on 3S. The only broken parts I've had on mine so far was one of the rock sliders, primarily because my 10 year old hasn't learned the art of throttle control yet.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

The biggest issues with the brushed RTR have been the top portal gears in the front if your EPA's are not set right. Oh, and possibly the axle housings but those can be upgraded with the new version for a reasonable price. The issue with that is actually finding the new housings in stock. I found some on ebay and they just happened to be in Australia.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yes, it's a durable truck. Not as durable as the trx4, but every bit as durable as the scx10.2. I crawl mine hard & haven't broken anything major. I'm still running the stock portal gears. I've upgraded the steering to the Club 5 Racing links & a 35kg servo. I've upgraded to the updated axle housings & flat skid as well. I've run 3s since day one. I think you'll like it as long as you understand that it's a crawler, not a basher.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the Gen 8 pretty durable? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it durable? Juicebag31 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 06-11-2013 11:51 AM
most durable hardbody? brianw Paint and Body 6 08-28-2012 11:38 AM
how durable are losi's? J-Money Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 11-15-2009 12:21 AM
Most Durable Crawler DUDE General Crawlers 18 05-23-2005 07:42 PM