Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Default GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

hi guys

i am noticing on my gen 8 that she tends to have a sag or lean to one corner @rest every now and then (driver's side, towards the hood). I dunno if its due to steering geometry that leads to this.

i was thinking maybe shock oil and have picked up a variety pack of different shock oil weights to experiment with.

wondering if anyone has had this issue?

also wondering what shock oil wt to use for the gen 8 (knowing its heavier i'd figure heavier weight but i'll probably start out around 27.5 wt)
crick0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!
 
mgputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Merrill, WI
Posts: 2,077
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
hi guys



i am noticing on my gen 8 that she tends to have a sag or lean to one corner @rest every now and then (driver's side, towards the hood). I dunno if its due to steering geometry that leads to this.



i was thinking maybe shock oil and have picked up a variety pack of different shock oil weights to experiment with.



wondering if anyone has had this issue?



also wondering what shock oil wt to use for the gen 8 (knowing its heavier i'd figure heavier weight but i'll probably start out around 27.5 wt)
It's from the pan hard and stearing geometry. The shorter the pan hard the worse the condition is.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Tiny Truck Hoarder
 
HumboldtEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Humboldt county
Posts: 2,180
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Or it could have nothing to do with geometry, a shock thats low on oil could act like this.

A good way to check that would be to remove both shocks on the front, take off the spring perch and springs so its down to just the shock. Compress each shock and observe it, they will typically rebound a little bit. If one has less rebound than the other then its likely a bit low on oil (they should both react the same or similar). Sometimes they just need a drop or 2 to make them even again.

Also check the shock preload collars, if one side is pre-loaded more than the other it can also cause this. The shocks on opposite corners can also do this whether its low on oil or the preload is off from the other side.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-03-2019 at 08:31 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: california under the rock im crawling on
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
It's from the pan hard and stearing geometry. The shorter the pan hard the worse the condition is.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
and the redcat rod ends are sticky adding just a bit of resistance
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

thanks guys! i’ll check them tonight! would u recommend any starting point for oil wt - if one side is low then i proabbly have to dump all the oil and replace w known wt oil? (cant mix oil wts?)
crick0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

https://imgur.com/a/lxijwhE

oooo discoveryyyyy, thanks ferp! thanks humboldt!
crick0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
thanks guys! iíll check them tonight! would u recommend any starting point for oil wt - if one side is low then i proabbly have to dump all the oil and replace w known wt oil? (cant mix oil wts?)
On my redcat I Switched to 20wt all the way around and I felt it did amazing for low speed crawling. IF you are gonna be going high speed I would maybe do 25 in front and leave 20 in rear

The stock shocks are 93mm and do very well imo
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
Tiny Truck Hoarder
 
HumboldtEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Humboldt county
Posts: 2,180
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Personally I dont worry about the oil WT when adding just a tiny bit of oil (I try to guess and be close if possible). I would think the stock oil is in the 20-30WT range for the Gen 8.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

hey thanks everyone. i ended up experimenting a bunch (was a mess) and ended up close to 20 wt (22.5) and am loving the responsiveness during slowspeed crawl (thanks letsbash!)

thanks humboldt thanks ferp! I ended up finding that one particular problem shock had less oil than the other 3.

tried to get as little rebound as possible but meeehhhh i dunno a good technique to get consistent rebound with bladder shocks, despite all the youtube videos. tried my best to get 1/8" rebound but two i got 1/4" and the other two about 1/2" and i said "F it, it's 4am." i pinched the bladder some to get some excess air out from under it but floopleflarp, whatever... it handles way nicer now (dunno if i woke the neighbors out in the backyard testing it). thing feels like it wants to hug a buncha rocks now.
crick0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

I have horrible nose dive on my Gen 8. I believe it's the steering geometry, however I see some people in videos whose are not slouched like mine. My shocks have all been filled with 27.5 wt oil, and my truck is well maintained. Not sure what the problem is.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

What type of nose dive? Upon breaking or normal speed driving?

The Redcat Gen8 is very heavy upfront, and as you mentioned limited linkage angles will cause a poor suspension travel

Right away change the horn and you will see some shock limitations removed, see if that helps
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
What type of nose dive? Upon breaking or normal speed driving?

The Redcat Gen8 is very heavy upfront, and as you mentioned limited linkage angles will cause a poor suspension travel

Right away change the horn and you will see some shock limitations removed, see if that helps
Bothers me most just while normal driving, or even when it's just sitting there. My Hydrax tire is almost inside the fender well. But otherwise the sag is always there. Will take a picture when I get home.

I do have a cheap 20kg servo and installed the aluminum servo horn. Maybe I need to shorter it a bit by setting the screw closer. I'll have to tinker with it.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?



I swapped the rod end to the bent ones and added a small shim

This with the swapped horn & 100mm shocks seems to have 0 bind for me
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post


I swapped the rod end to the bent ones and added a small shim

This with the swapped horn & 100mm shocks seems to have 0 bind for me
I found out my Hobby shop has those same rod ends! Going to pick this up, and some 40 wt shock oil since the front of my Gen 8 is super heavy because of brass add ons and other mods.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
MEOW
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wackifornia
Posts: 11,657
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Personally I dont worry about the oil WT when adding just a tiny bit of oil (I try to guess and be close if possible). I would think the stock oil is in the 20-30WT range for the Gen 8.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
thanks humboldt thanks ferp! I ended up finding that one particular problem shock had less oil than the other 3.

tried to get as little rebound as possible but meeehhhh i dunno a good technique to get consistent rebound with bladder shocks, despite all the youtube videos. tried my best to get 1/8" rebound but two i got 1/4" and the other two about 1/2" and i said "F it, it's 4am." i pinched the bladder some to get some excess air out from under it but floopleflarp, whatever... it handles way nicer now (dunno if i woke the neighbors out in the backyard testing it). thing feels like it wants to hug a buncha rocks now.
Good job! Over full shock oil can cause problems too, also check for bent shafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
I swapped the rod end to the bent ones and added a small shim

This with the swapped horn & 100mm shocks seems to have 0 bind for me
Nice, gotta get creative sometimes!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

I adjusted the shock collar on my Gen 8 (almost half way down LOL), and that seems to have leveled out my Gen 8 a bit. The nose dive is not as bad as before. I also added the bent rod for the servo. I did not change the shock oil, as I think that would only change the rebound of the shocks, not actually keep the truck higher. Still would like my truck to sit higher, but if I do that I'd have to get the 100mm shocks, which my hobby shop did not have in stock.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsplat79 View Post
I adjusted the shock collar on my Gen 8 (almost half way down LOL), and that seems to have leveled out my Gen 8 a bit. The nose dive is not as bad as before. I also added the bent rod for the servo. I did not change the shock oil, as I think that would only change the rebound of the shocks, not actually keep the truck higher. Still would like my truck to sit higher, but if I do that I'd have to get the 100mm shocks, which my hobby shop did not have in stock.
Amazon has a good set of 100mm that I Use on all my trucks for sub $30, local hobby shop will have more expensive options only. Check it out HERE

This will help get the Gen8 to get you the ride height you're looking for and the springs have multiple options so you can choose heavy or light depending on your preference

Edit: Have you tried putting the shocks top mount on a lower setting?it has multiple holes for adjustment

Last edited by LetsBash; 10-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
Amazon has a good set of 100mm that I Use on all my trucks for sub $30, local hobby shop will have more expensive options only. Check it out HERE

This will help get the Gen8 to get you the ride height you're looking for and the springs have multiple options so you can choose heavy or light depending on your preference

Edit: Have you tried putting the shocks top mount on a lower setting?it has multiple holes for adjustment

I have not tried putting the shock top tower on a lower setting, but will do so after work. I did order those shocks, as they were well priced and are 100mm. The hobby store I went to had 105, and they were wayyyyy overpriced (proline ones for $60 for 2).

My plan is to install the new shocks with 40 wt in the fronts, and 27.5 wt in the rears. Hopefully this will help properly adjust the height and leveling of the truck.

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17
Default Re: GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
Amazon has a good set of 100mm that I Use on all my trucks for sub $30, local hobby shop will have more expensive options only. Check it out HERE

This will help get the Gen8 to get you the ride height you're looking for and the springs have multiple options so you can choose heavy or light depending on your preference

Edit: Have you tried putting the shocks top mount on a lower setting?it has multiple holes for adjustment

So I did what you said and lowered my shock tops one notch down. Seems to have leveled out the truck better than before. I had it on the lowest setting for the front shocks, but then it got tip happy when I went on the trails yesterday.


Those blue shocks you recommended came in the mail! I haven't put them on yet. They seem a bit squeeky. I read somewhere our stock Gen 8 shocks are already 100mm.


Do you think the shocks would be an upgrade over the stock ones? Just wanted your opinion on them before I opened the package and put oil in them.


Thanks,


Jay
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



GEN8 nose dives to one corner? shock oil? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor oil as a shock oil? Mr.JayDeeM General Crawlers 10 09-02-2012 10:59 PM
Shock oil and shock spring help entropy General Crawlers 10 01-29-2011 08:40 AM
best shock oil and gear oil j4k3 Axial SCX-10 2 07-26-2010 12:48 PM
Shock oil? n8big Duratrax Cliff Climber 6 01-04-2010 11:38 PM
shock oil boostang1 Newbie General 4 10-05-2008 07:35 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com