Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen8.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gen8.

So I am wanting to do a portal Unimog this year as my main build.
Been scrolling the classifieds for so long trying to find some take offs, and I stumble upon the Redcat Gen8 builders kit for only $169.99.
Seems like a hell of a good place to start a Unimog build, but my question is, is it?
Does it have any major weakpoints?
How are the portals holding up for you guys?
Is their a good reason for it being seemingly very cheap in comparison to others?
I know it's a long shot that it's as solid as TRX4/Capra axles, but figured it was worth asking anyway
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen8.

my redcat is holding up way better than my rtr axial rigs ever hoped for the pack kit shouldent have vary many issues but the steering knuckles were the tie rods attatch are week and the origi al portal gears had a issue that seems to be fixed now if not there vary cheap and easy to replace there are a few companys making upgrades for it and the axles were just redesigned to be stronger so most of the issues this rig had were fixed at the factory

the trx4 axles have gear issues too but there aftermarket suport is way better and you can buy parts just about anywere

i dont know anything about the capra but the front shafts look like a way better design than ether the trx4 and the gen8 but the gears still look small so i dont have alot of hope there
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #3

I don't hammer my Gen8 (but I do run it on 3S), and so far the only thing I've broken on it is a rock slider. I've got the updated portal housings & portal axles sitting here unopened because I still haven't broken the original, non-updated stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a starting point in a build where portals are desired.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I don't hammer my Gen8 (but I do run it on 3S), and so far the only thing I've broken on it is a rock slider. I've got the updated portal housings & portal axles sitting here unopened because I still haven't broken the original, non-updated stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a starting point in a build where portals are desired.

When you say updated do you mean the aluminum ones, or did they make changes at some point during production? If so do you have more information? I’m looking at getting the RTR and am curious if it’s better now than a year ago. A lot of the negativity around quality seems to be from early in production, around release.
Wisceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sorry yes just to clarify, the updated parts, do they now come in newer kits or is it pot luck what you get?
My brother in law is actually looking at the RTR version, so I am curious to know what the updated parts comes on, or if they are only available to purchase.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The updated housings are plastic & more substantial than the originals. They're a great, inexpensive upgrade. They come standard on the Axe & from what I understand, will be standard on all new production gen8's & PACKs. The existing stock of gen8's & PACKs have the original housings. However, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing one. Myself & many others never had a problem with the standard ones. The updated housing kit is only $17.99, so it's a very affordable upgrade. https://dealer.redcatracing.com/RER11939
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
The updated housings are plastic & more substantial than the originals. They're a great, inexpensive upgrade. They come standard on the Axe & from what I understand, will be standard on all new production gen8's & PACKs. The existing stock of gen8's & PACKs have the original housings. However, I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing one. Myself & many others never had a problem with the standard ones. The updated housing kit is only $17.99, so it's a very affordable upgrade. https://dealer.redcatracing.com/RER11939

Thanks for the info! Any way to know which housing an RTR has got? Or to know if it’s old stock or new?
Wisceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisceaux View Post
Thanks for the info! Any way to know which housing an RTR has got? Or to know if it’s old stock or new?
If it has double-shear shock mounts on the axle, it's the updated version

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

I been beating on my Gen8 RTR on 2S lipo nothing broke yet. And its cold so plastic would be more brittle. I love it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fierce RC Pete; 01-31-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Fierce RC Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen8. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What new foams for the Gen8? Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 37 06-19-2020 09:29 AM
Shocks for Gen8 White Bear Smith Redcat Crawlers 2 01-13-2020 01:44 PM
My gen8 00Pocho Redcat Crawlers 27 04-18-2019 04:31 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM