Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gener8ightion:Rona

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Gener8ightion:Rona

Front bumper for rona.

Quadhands to the rescue. These things are absolutely amazing for tiny trucking. 8.5 x 11 1/4 thick steel base plate and 5 magnet arms. I’ll be brazing/soldering like a boss now. 10/10 recommend quadhands.

Edit: ordered a complete axe front axle yesterday. So between the new HD axe axle the ssd link mounts which should arrive on Monday and ssd portal knuckles which could arrive in the next couple of weeks. I think it will be a reliable set up. Here’s to hoping at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 07-19-2020 at 01:21 PM.
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gener8ightion:Rona

Another update on my gen 8:
I cobbled together a front portal with a zip tie and epoxy which allowed me to secure it into the c-hub and I ran it pretty hard for 4 days. And had a blast. So much so that I forgot to take pictures lol sorry bout that. I arrived at home today to find two sweet packages. An axe front axle complete, and HD axle housings and front portal outer housings. Thanks Canada post! Only arrive after a planned outing! Grr well at least they’re here now. Get to wrenching. Ain’t no wrest for the wicked

Unfortunately with the HD housing in the front I had to get rid of the bowhouse rc panhard relocation and remount the panhard bar to the rear of the stock plastic. Honestly the bowhouse part is nice but didn’t help me much and made clearance even tighter. Zero bumpsteer and a beefier front end \m/

Old 08-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Boy I’m really finding the weak sides of this Redcat. Tearing apart my original axles to do a swap over and I have lost most of the output bearings the 6mmx12mmx4mm on the portals. I have enough to get me by for now. Sure glad I bought the spare complete axe axle. Sorta wish I would have just bought a trx4 at this point

Old 08-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

so you put junk parts on your rig and now you dont like it anymore strange

one of the first things you do when you buy a rtr is buy a complete bearing kit i bought 10 packs of every bearing on the rig cause they dont last vary long however ive only replaces 3 bearings in a year and a half so even being undersized they seem to hold up ok
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
so you put junk parts on your rig and now you dont like it anymore strange

one of the first things you do when you buy a rtr is buy a complete bearing kit i bought 10 packs of every bearing on the rig cause they dont last vary long however ive only replaces 3 bearings in a year and a half so even being undersized they seem to hold up ok

Nothing I’ve used has been junk and only factory parts are breaking prematurely. Bearings should have lasted longer than they did. But yes I agree I should have ordered a fast eddy kit sooner rather than later. Never seen a traxxas bearing seize up that quickly in my 15+ years of mechanical experience

Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
Nothing I’ve used has been junk and only factory parts are breaking prematurely. Bearings should have lasted longer than they did. But yes I agree I should have ordered a fast eddy kit sooner rather than later. Never seen a traxxas bearing seize up that quickly in my 15+ years of mechanical experience

in my experiance traxxass has the worst electronics out there even redcats electronics are a step above traxxasssss the bearings well they are what they are redcat still is better than the old axials in that department your lucky to get one run on some of there rigs before a bearing fails that was the old days though there much better now

and ive yet to see 1 decent part made by club5 there parts are not upgrades by any means in my opinion of course
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Got the front and rear HD axles under Rona now. I’m definitely going to need to order a set of fast eddy bearings next pay check. Most of the bearings in the portals are on their way out! Hopefully I’ll get a run in tomorrow morning to put it to the real test!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Well I just dropped another 113$ CAD on two bearing kits from fast eddy. Better safe than sorry. Being my only truck I either need to keep dumping money at it or purchase a second vehicle... I’m thinking about waiting till element drops an ifs trailrunner kit.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Some pics of today’s action.

I got down to the river bed crawled some rocks for about 10mins then the stock steering servo crapped the bed.... back to the healing bench I guess.

Edit: I took the servo apart to see if I could diagnose the issue. Seems that one of the brushes on the motor has heated up and melted the plastic end cap. I found a 25kg power HD waterproof/aluminum servo! Not terribly bummed about the servo as I was expecting to replace it, but forgive me if I just want to drive the thing till I hit lipo cutoff. Smh also before anyone mentions it I had my ccbec set to 6v.

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 08-07-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

man arent you the lucky one all the breakadges out of the way right at the begining lol

awsome creek to crawl in you should have ran it in the creek to cool that servo off lol nothing like a creek to keep that magic smoke inside the rig
Old 08-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
man arent you the lucky one all the breakadges out of the way right at the begining lol

awsome creek to crawl in you should have ran it in the creek to cool that servo off lol nothing like a creek to keep that magic smoke inside the rig

Ya it seems everything that’s going to break has already happened lol. It’s been frustrating more than fun lately. I’m just hoping the axe HD cvs and housings hold up. New servo should arrive on tuesday and I’ll be back running. It was a super nice spot about an hr away from my house so ya my ten minutes of run time was displeasing.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
It was a super nice spot about an hr away from my house so ya my ten minutes of run time was displeasing.

theres only one sure way to to make sure that never happens again take more than one rig with you when you go out so you see a second or even 10th rig is a must especialy on outings like that
Old 08-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
theres only one sure way to to make sure that never happens again take more than one rig with you when you go out so you see a second or even 10th rig is a must especialy on outings like that

I wish haha. It’s my only truck at the moment.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Alas Rona lives! I Received and promptly installed a power HD 25kg waterproof servo. It is very torquey even at 6volts.

I decided to leave it at 6V for now, as to save on wear and tear. Same goes for the steering dual rate. With the stock servo I had the trim set to 75%. With the new servo I dialed it back to 65%. It gets full steering throw and doesn’t seem to stress the driveline. I have ssd aluminum knuckle/portal on the way from amain to really toughen the front end. They should be here tomorrow. After installing on the healing bench I took it for a short trek down to the creek today.

A short run didn’t get to many pictures. Finally being able to test this truck felt good even though I was sweating profusely. It crawls fantastic I just hope I can begin to trust this truck again. I have also installed a Robinson racing a 11tooth pinion on a Holmes 13t crawlmaster sport (very short shaft for this combo Btw) It has very good low speed control and a stronger drag brake. It’s A touch slow on 2s. But Going to 3s really wakes it up and has the perfect amount of speed. Half to 3/4 throttle to stay beside me walking. I hope the esc lasts as I actually find it quite good at doing its job, Comparable to the Novak rooster crawlers I ran back in the day. I highly recommend the Holmes 13t crawlmaster sport. It’s a must have upgrade for the gen8 imo.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #35

I'm very impressed that the stock servo lasted so long! In my experience, it's the only part that needs immediate upgrade on the Gen8. Everything else can be upgraded as it breaks, although, you seem to be breaking parts a lot faster than I do! I've had my Gen8 for a year and a half, and the only breakage I've had was one of the stock rock sliders, but based on how your truck already looks, you're clearly using it WAY more than I use mine!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I Haven't run mine since adding the Treal brass. Still waiting for usps to deliver my Bowhouse Pan Hard mount. been in Detroit for a month now. lol
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm very impressed that the stock servo lasted so long! In my experience, it's the only part that needs immediate upgrade on the Gen8. Everything else can be upgraded as it breaks, although, you seem to be breaking parts a lot faster than I do! I've had my Gen8 for a year and a half, and the only breakage I've had was one of the stock rock sliders, but based on how your truck already looks, you're clearly using it WAY more than I use mine!
Me to honestly. It has takin a good thrashing.

SSD portal knuckles and some factory portal housings came today. The ssd units again are top quality. Machining is excellent. With good tight bearing seats. I got it all assembled and adjusted the ccbec to 7.4V straight to the servo using a bypass adapter. And readjusted steering rate closer to 70% now on stock radio. It’s got good throw without torquing the axle tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I Haven't run mine since adding the Treal brass. Still waiting for usps to deliver my Bowhouse Pan Hard mount. been in Detroit for a month now. lol
Gotta get back out my friend haha honestly I really like where they where going with the mount but ultimately it didn’t work for me With the new HD housings the double shear mount doesn’t allow for mounting of the panhard On the front side of the bracket. Which Is a must for the bowhouse mount.

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 08-11-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Successful day today! Had a great time and the weather was perfect. No breakages today

Truck was flawless! Good strong steering and with the ssd portal knuckles and the HD Cv’s It should be reliable! Made it to the inukshuk under power this time haha now maybe I can start thinking about purchasing a body and wheels/tires.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Some pics from today’s action! I need to start making videos! The truck worked great. It now rides on chinesium wheels and brass brake rotors from amazon, Sold by Benedict Harry. I made sure to get the 25mm wide wheels. I’m not a fan of the super wide offerings. Backspacing is plentiful for gen8 portals and clears the hefty club 5 links. They went together fine and the fit and finish was superb. However the screws are of sub par quality, the hex keys are fairly loose from new, and feel quite soft. Otherwise I think I’m going to vent the tires. Nothing to say about the brass rotors.. other than being much heavier than I expected, wheelspeed and initial torque is down as I expected given how heavy they are. I might remove them from the front tires to save the cvs haha.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Some more pics for your viewing pleasure.

I found an amazing trail to crawl today. Creekbeds in Nb are fantastic scale terrain \m/ it was a beautiful morning and I ended up burning through two battery packs on the trek!
It’s been working quite well lately. I really like this set up. I vented the tires with two holes per tire cut on the OD. A must do when rolling on aluminum wheels.