Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gener8ightion:Rona

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gener8ightion:Rona

You've got some great places to play. Keep the pics coming. It's nice to see what different areas have to offer for terrain.

Hopefully your past the random breakage stage and onto long term reliability stage.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #42
Slow is the new Fast

I haven’t a clue what a quad hands is, but it it helps hold your pieces while brazing I would love to know. I have melted the plastic/rubbery bits on my magnets working brazing this small scale stuff.

Rig looks great, the Redcat did a nice job on that Scout body. The kick plates were a nice touch to the steel running boards/sliders.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I haven’t a clue what a quad hands is, but it it helps hold your pieces while brazing I would love to know. I have melted the plastic/rubbery bits on my magnets working brazing this small scale stuff.

Rig looks great, the Redcat did a nice job on that Scout body. The kick plates were a nice touch to the steel running boards/sliders.

Yes it’s like the best third hand system there is. Found on amazon and made in the USA. Even came with a certificate. The base is .250in steel plate on large rubber feet. The arms have good neodymium magnets in them, and honestly have used them on the vise more than the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Well little update, sorry no pics. I received my order from fast eddy yesterday. Today I decided to tear apart the tranny/tcase as I haven’t bothered to check it since it’s birth. Needless to say, I’m glad I checked. I caught 4 bearings. 3 were questionable and the transmission pinion input bearing was toast. So new bearings all around. Happy to report that all the plastic gears looked quite well. I was actually surprised given the abuse and binds I’ve had it in. I’ve got to be pushing 50hrs of crawling/trails on this truck. A Plastic Axial 3gear would have bitten the dust long ago. Apart from the first gen cva shafts in the front end it has been a good truck. The axe edition HD cvs have been holding up great.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Default Gener8ightion:Rona

Well this certainly isn’t how I wanted to update... hopefully the gear is still inside

Got it all back together. Just lost the outer input bearing. The screw holding the pinion gear to the shaft is prone to loosening. I used red loctite this time As I usually don’t use red on 10th scale stuff

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 08-27-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Took rona out for a trek today. It worked well. The drivetrain is noticeably quieter now with the fresh bearings in the driveline. Made it back to the start of the trail and hit the lipo cut off, nice

I’ve really got the truck dialed in. Stock tires and foams still. However I did order a set of lil novas direct from Crawler Innovations. I purchased the 4.5in heavyweight cores with soft outers. I am pretty set on ordering 4.75in proline BFG Krawlers in G8 compound, I figure this is a good tire for the mix of terrain I hit, anybody have any other recommendations for me? I’ll be ordering tires sometime next week. For me the only turn off on the prolines is the price 42$ cad.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Another day on the trail

The morning crawl was a good one! Killed my two 3000mah 3s packs only broke the centering spring in the gt2b radio. I actually kind of like the wheel without the spring, Its kind of like playing snowrunner haha. Do the flysky gt5 suffer any durability issues like the stock radio obviously has. I’ve never dropped it or been hard on it not sure why it let go. For an rtr I think the radio and esc are fantastic. I think a gt5 is the logical upgrade here, though I am missing my old futaba 4pm
Old 08-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

No trail run today as it’s pouring rain! Good day to order a body I decided to order a body before tires as they work fine and I wanted something to work on. I ordered the injora half cab Jeep kit from an amazon fulfilment store. It’s was 84 Canadian peso so much cheaper than going with an RC4wd option, and more inline with proline body price. Though I am really wanting that new RC4WD XtraCab offering. I think I’m going to pick up an xtra cab for a custom build. Also I’m sure there will be some mounting headaches with the club 5 servo mount.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

With regards to Krawlers, they're an excellent tire, but with your wet terrain, I would definitely go with predator compound. The G8 compound is terrible when wet.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
With regards to Krawlers, they're an excellent tire, but with your wet terrain, I would definitely go with predator compound. The G8 compound is terrible when wet.

Thankyou for the advise. My only concern with the predator compound is excessive wear on gravel roads and other precarious high speed adventures! I know I loved my g8 flatirons I ran back in the honcho days

Old 08-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
Thankyou for the advise. My only concern with the predator compound is excessive wear on gravel roads and other precarious high speed adventures! I know I loved my g8 flatirons I ran back in the honcho days

I haven't had any problems with excessive wear with either my Krawlers or Hyrex (both predator compound) here in the AZ heat. They're holding up fine. Our terrain is very jagged rocks, sandstone, shale & silt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with excessive wear with either my Krawlers or Hyrex (both predator compound) here in the AZ heat. They're holding up fine. Our terrain is very jagged rocks, sandstone, shale & silt.

Thanks how are the hyrax in mud?

Old 08-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
Thanks how are the hyrax in mud?

I don't do mud, but I hear they're terrible for mud. Apparently they load up quick & don't clear out.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

bored and so the tires are under the snips \m/

Edit:

Quote:
I don't do mud, but I hear they're terrible for mud. Apparently they load up quick & don't clear out.

That was my assumption based on its looks. I can get the mud terrain in predator same as hyrax and most others I can get in g8. I could get proline tsl sx in g8 to and I know they’re fantastic tire for my terrain.

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 08-30-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Morning crawl was successful! Pretty happy with the cut tires. Noticeably better clear out and they conform better to the rock and grab more reliably.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

The injora branded Jeep Cherokee/Comanche half cab showed up today from amazon. Got the body assembled. Pleasantly surprised by the quality here, everything looks really good and went together without a hitch. The body lines on the grill mated to the body are completely off though. It’s really the only gripe I have with this kit.

I quickly threw it on top of its final resting place, I’m quite happy with how low the front is able to get with out doing any mods. I plan on keeping the front factory inner fender wells on the chassis. I might try transplanting the inner fenders from the scout 2 body as well. The wells have enough room for the stock super swampers. If I can drop the body down a 1/4 to a half inch I will be happy.

The rear will definitely require some “customization”. I have a glorious plan to build the rear cage out of brake line and incorporate shock mounts. I am definitely interested in a 3D printed price that will close up the bottom of the cab at the rear to finish up the Comanche cab. I don’t have a printer but I think I found the piece I need in shape ways. But at 48$ USD I think I will look for another source for this part.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Well now that the wallet is empty, there’s work to get done...

Loot includes:
OLFA Mat 12x18
Spraymax 2k beige epoxy fill primer
Tamiya gray primer
Tamiya ts-15 blue
Rustoleum dead flat clear coat
Tamiya cement
A super ridiculous large tube of glaze
Xacto knife with blade pack
3m wet sanding cloth 320,400,600,800 grit pack and 1000grit
Some cheapo paint brush for cementing
.08 styrene sheet
3pack of .02 styrene sheet

Little bit of work and bit of play

With the half cab removed it’s time to address a major issue. Notice something missing...

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 09-03-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Got right to the bench. A Little gorilla brand CA welds a thing to another thing, creating a betterer thing. My stomachs growling I’ll come back later.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

With a little bit of reference material

https://images.app.goo.gl/vTQyoMzVoyXp5bW8A

I got to work

This is where I’m at this morning

Old 09-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #60