Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 V2 Scout mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
psn
Pebble Pounder

Default Gen 8 V2 Scout mods

I've been out of the hobby for a few years but after "getting up to date" on the state of things (such as Vanquish and Associated are making crawlers now and Vaterra has vanished, for examples), this truck caught my eye. Wow, I like it a lot. Redcat has come a long way since the Rockslide XT and Everest 10 came out like 10(?) years ago.

Kicked things off with better tires and heavier wheels...

To compensate and add a little more air in wells the shocks were moved the lowest holes in the towers

Noticed the rear wheels were little too far forward (as seen above) so the links were moved to the rear most holes. It sits nice, I think.

Next up is checking for grease in the axles, shortening the battery tray for shorty's, gearing down a few teeth on the pinion and swapping out the radio and esc. Will see where it goes from there.

Still can't decide which kit decal scheme to go with - they all look awesome!

Anything else I should do at this point?

psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gen 8 V2 Scout mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Anything else I should do at this point?
Get out and drive it... Upgrade what breaks

I actually really like the stock swampers and they do lots better on a heavier wheel, with good foams. With a bit of break-in, they started working very nicely.

I put CI dual stage in mine on the stock wheels and it was a marked improvement over the stock Redcat foams.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd say you can take that rear axle back a few more mm even. 5 at the most maybe.
If you trim the front bumper mount posts a bit shorter, you can get the front bumper a hole farther back and improve the approach angle.
Same in the rear, but instead of trimming the mount post, you'll need to trim the bottom of the body just a smidge so the bumper can slip in one hole improving the departure angle a few degrees as well.

The stock foams were meh on my AXE, got pretty firm in the cold. now they're ok, but they're twoish years used now. heh.
Wheel and tires look good on it for sure. Stock tires are pretty decent with better foams.

First, and so far my only breakage on my AXE was the drives side slider snapped. Replaced them with the KYX steel Gen8 sliders.
The drives side knuccle steering arm got bent to shit, but it did take 4 to 5 months to get bent bad enough it was time to replace them. Went to some Treal gear from there. Treal Chubs and inner portal housings and a noname aluminum portal cover on the F and on the Rear Treal inner and outer portal housings to add some weight and balance the front and rear bias which is about 60/40 and almost damn near dead nuts even side to side.
The Bodies are a bit top heavy and this AXE body is way top-heavy.
She weighs in just under 11lbs right now.

I upgrade the wheels and tires, added servo winch and reefs mount for it, full light kit. light bar and rock lights are about to go in. and finished up.

One upgrade I would say is a required one is to get rid of the bump steer. Which is kind of significant.
I did it with some SSD TK/SCX10.2 steering links and an offset servo horn of 10 - 12mm.
with a little setup and some minor adjustment to get the toe right, it works great and there is pretty much zero bumpsteer now, even though there is still the hard panhard axle shift going on. Which I did minimize with the Bowhouse RC panhard chassis relocation mount and the SSD lower link mounts with both move the panhard mounts respectively and help a little bit with the shift, but mostly help get things in better positions to get rid of the bump steer.

I agree. RedCat has come a LONG Ways from their break into the RC in the 5th scale world back in 08ish.

Last edited by Timmahh; 01-14-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #4

Off to a good start! I'm also recently back into the hobby, after a ~16yr break, and yes it's nice to see some quality, budget oriented crawler/trail trucks! I also recently got a Gen8, in purple, and I'm very impressed with it's performance so far. I've only added a light kit, and boiled the foams in the stock tires. Trying to avoid spending $$ on wheels and tires for a while, but I know that'll make a big difference. I've been thinking about budget motor/esc work, but now you've got me thinking about just gearing down the stock setup. I like the wheel speed currently on 3s, but would also like more modulation at creep speed.
Cycle.Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle.Cats View Post
Off to a good start! I'm also recently back into the hobby, after a ~16yr break, and yes it's nice to see some quality, budget oriented crawler/trail trucks! I also recently got a Gen8, in purple, and I'm very impressed with it's performance so far. I've only added a light kit, and boiled the foams in the stock tires. Trying to avoid spending $$ on wheels and tires for a while, but I know that'll make a big difference. I've been thinking about budget motor/esc work, but now you've got me thinking about just gearing down the stock setup. I like the wheel speed currently on 3s, but would also like more modulation at creep speed.
my stock wheels were on for most of the 2 years I've had it. the new ones are just a few months old and we're now in winter her in Mi. So you'll do will with the stock ones IMO.

HW 1080WP ESC and a Holmes Trail Master or Crawl Master would be a great combo I believe and run maybe 60-70 so not to cost and should be much better than the stock esc/motor combo.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #6
psn
Pebble Pounder

thanks for all the great feedback!

for the time being I moved the steering and panhard rod underneath the steering arms and it seemed to reduce the bump steer a bit.

also put on some decals and a nice "Injora" branded front bumper

Old 01-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #7
psn
Pebble Pounder

Put the wheel/tire setup from another build to see how they'd look.

and installed some smooth metal sliders

Old 01-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Lookin good.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #9

Those sliders look nice! Who makes them?
ShapeShifter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter666 View Post
Those sliders look nice! Who makes them?
They look like Club5 racing....
Maxx_Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

on the v1 the ssd link mouhts were a must have upgrade i dont know if the v2 axles fixed the slop in the mount
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_Action View Post
They look like Club5 racing....
I see it now. Thanks!
ShapeShifter666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 V2 Scout mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
REDCAT GEN 8 SCOUT 2 | MODS & UPGRADES tips & tricks ANYONE CAN DO! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 2 01-21-2019 04:52 PM
Redcat GEN 8 SCOUT shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 01-11-2019 06:42 PM