Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: **Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Oh, just some drivin

Thats my kid rock'n my modded maisto.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

I climbed back up this hill after this. took a few tries though.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Ha, I have a RS10 and my 3yr old has a Yellow Maisto too!

Modded Maisto? Whay did you do to it? Any steering mods?
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

No steering mods to the maisto. all I did was carve out the battery tray and shove a 9.6v up it's ass. stronger, faster, and harder to control = WAY MORE FUN!!!! I had trouble keeping it rubber side down like this, so I wrapped a few coils of plumbing solder around the front wheels for weight.

It's great when the little kids wanna play with my crawler, I can just give them this thing. "go ahead, drive it down the steps. You can't hurt it!"
It's still a lot of fun to run obstacle courses with it. Challenging yourself having no speed control. The steering works just fine imo

Last edited by The Jackalope; 01-02-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: picture was too big
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: **Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Just or old time's sake,

I threw the stock H3 body on, SLAMMED it, and started clearancing it for the current build. I still prefer the look of my rally car body, but this one is kind of growing on me. Despite hacking the $hit out of it.

I figure, Mines probably more "REDCAT" than most of the capable, modded rigs out there, So here's a few pics for the harcore brand true-ists.

What do you think?

I really like the stance on your rig. Is there a benefit to running no springs and inverting the shocks?
HoupS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupS View Post
I really like the stance on your rig. Is there a benefit to running no springs and inverting the shocks?

Well, They DO have springs on them, they are just smaller springs installed internally, and another small spring around the shaft as well. This gave me more clearance from my tires and motors by making the shock skinnier. Then, inverting them was just to lower the center of gravity a bit. Just the weight of the oil of course. hey, every little bit helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

I hear ya! How did you get it to sit so low, how does it crawl?
HoupS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Build, drive, build, drive, destroy, build, drive, build....

LOW has been the goal through my entire build (about 10 months now) trying to get the right combination of clearance and C.G.. What I've been trying to do is get the body low enough where I can recover from a roll over by grabbing traction with the top of the tires. I'm almost there, but it could be better.

Right now my skid plate is 2.5" off ground at the front, and 3.5" off the ground at the back. This is PLENTY. It has incredible break-over, all the weight is as low as possible, and she crawls and climbs like a dream. The skid never gets hung up

I haven't competed before, so if I said "it would kick every other crawlers ass", I would be talking out of my ass.........................................
That being said.......... It would kick every other crawlers ass.

Last edited by The Jackalope; 01-03-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #69

that is awesome, man ,for the money , these redcats are pretty awesome. and it looks like youve got a pretty badass crawler, for not alot of investment . I'm already thinking about going and buying a couple cutting boards. that steering mod is a great idea
flierwantstocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

I removed the stock paint from the body, and practiced painting clear lexan on it. Here's my "Hummer Yellow" stock RS10 body scheme.
A risky job, but here's how it went. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...-new-look.html

Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Another major mod I did a while back was the homemade Knuckle weights. It's clear it's a good idea to get the weight off the rotating mass of the wheel, and on to the lowest stationary part of the vehicle, but brass knuckle weights are $$$.

So, being a plumber, figured I could poor my own from 50/50 plumbing solder. Worked quite well! I just poured them directly onto my GH aluminium steering knuckles. I used a hole saw to make the hole in the potting soil. Filed down the outside circumference till it fit inside of the wheels. Left a peice of 3/4 copper pipe inside the pour to leave room for the wheel hub.

Last edited by The Jackalope; 09-14-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

I didn't weigh these things yet, But I also have aproximately 6 1/2 oz added to my plastic wheels as well as these now. My center on the truck is now about a 1/2 inch in-front of where the front lower links attach to the chassis. I want that center about another 1/2" to 3/4" further forward so I can drag the back end over anything My front tires can grab traction on. SO CLOSE!!! just a little more. The only thing left I can see is to lock out the rear steer and lose the servo and link weight. But I LIKE my 4ws . I'm resisting.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Old 09-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Lookin' good Mr !! Glad to see yer still enthuesed about yer ol' 'Cat ! :-) I sure like those Mantis chassis though, thinkin' about boltin' a bunch of my stuff on one. Crazy shockless design. Wild rear clearance! And like you said, the fronts grabbing ANYTHING whether its right side up or right side down... I like that concept too. anyways... peace!
Haverchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

Red face Re: **Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haverchad View Post
Lookin' good Mr !! Glad to see yer still enthuesed about yer ol' 'Cat ! :-) I sure like those Mantis chassis though, thinkin' about boltin' a bunch of my stuff on one. Crazy shockless design. Wild rear clearance! And like you said, the fronts grabbing ANYTHING whether its right side up or right side down... I like that concept too. anyways... peace!
Oh... and PS- Those weights you poured... SICK!! Thats a COG adjustment for sure! Just like you wanted! :-)
Haverchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Thanks man! Just for the record; That 'mantis chassis' design IS just the stocker, chopped down till it worked. Very 'mantis' based though.

As usual, I abandon this site for the wicked west-coast summers. I don't do any building really, or reporting. But I take her out crawling when I'm camping. Sometimes if my 1/1 truck don't make the climb, I hit it with my 1/10, which ALWAYS makes the climb

I've got a few more mods to document when I get the time though. A slick high-steer setup, and my modded offset gearbox design. Winters coming. Stay tuned.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

First off, Jackalope, sweet build. Great lookin rig! I've looked at a tone of your posts and have gotten some really really great ideas from you, so thank you for all you RS10 knowledge!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haverchad View Post
I sure like those Mantis chassis though, thinkin' about boltin' a bunch of my stuff on one. Crazy shockless design. Wild rear clearance! And like you said, the fronts grabbing ANYTHING whether its right side up or right side down... I like that concept too. anyways... peace!
Second off, I just did exactly this. The break-over is insane. I'm still gettin use to it, but liking it a lot! Sorry about the thread jack. I just saw the words "Mantis Chassis" and got excited
LostFedExMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #78

Smile Re: **Canadian Crawler** RS10-XT Unveiling and ongoing build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
No steering mods to the maisto. all I did was carve out the battery tray and shove a 9.6v up it's ass. stronger, faster, and harder to control = WAY MORE FUN!!!! I had trouble keeping it rubber side down like this, so I wrapped a few coils of plumbing solder around the front wheels for weight.

It's great when the little kids wanna play with my crawler, I can just give them this thing. "go ahead, drive it down the steps. You can't hurt it!"
It's still a lot of fun to run obstacle courses with it. Challenging yourself having no speed control. The steering works just fine imo
hi, where did you buy the battery? do you have and the charger? i am new in brand and i have maisto rock crawler from wal mart and i want to but some power on it .Thank you
mmf_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:
hi, where did you buy the battery? do you have and the charger? i am new in brand and i have maisto rock crawler from wal mart and i want to but some power on it .Thank you
Here's a good thread on the maisto. lots of good info on there.

Maisto Rock Crawler

I posted this pic around #59

Last edited by The Jackalope; 10-11-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Have I really been ignoring this thread for THIS LONG? 2012 to 2015 ?!?

Sorry guys, I feel I've left you in the lurch. I've been too busy flying RC planes for the last 2yrs, and a Traxxas Slash on occasion, while my poor RS10 sat on a shelf in pieces; the victim of a half finished gearbox-relocate mod that was never fully realized. Quite a sad story really. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redca...se-motors.html

But never fear, for I AM BACK, and Canadian crawler will crawl once more!!!
Last night, I reassembled her to her latest incarnation, with a pair of fresh HH torque master 35s. Once I sort out the electronics relocation, I'll post up some more recent pics. The ones above are horrible out of date!