Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: lipo cutoff for the stock rs10 esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

Default lipo cutoff for the stock rs10 esc

I am looking to go lipo on the cat .and was wondering if it is as simple as plug and play with the cutoff. Or if there is any soldering etc thanks
walterfellmeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: lipo cutoff for the stock rs10 esc

You could go with a lipo cutoff or with a lipo alarm. I'm guessing that an alarm will be cheaper and simpler.
crawlHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Some of the alarms are plug and play, some of the cutoffs require soldering. I prefer the cutoffs that are soldered on because you know there's little chance that they're coming off.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have a plug n play alarm...only problem is it constantly goes off everytime I full throttle even with a full pack.
shaggy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The guy I buy my batteries off of is an R.C. Plane guy. His take on the subject is;

Your trusting your $30+ batteries and your $400+ vehicle on a $4 alarm, or cutoff, that may malfunction itself. He says in the plane world everyone just times it. Everyone runs their battery for a bit, plugs it in, and checks what the voltage is and how many "mah" it takes. So When I got a 2450mah lipo (2s), I ran it for 1/2 hour. It had about 8volts still and took 1000mah to charge. So now I know I get over an hour of run time on that battery. I usually stop at 55minutes for good measure. It usually reads 7.2v about then

Cutoffs are a great idea, But this seems to work pretty good too. I run stock esc btw.
The Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
The guy I buy my batteries off of is an R.C. Plane guy. His take on the subject is;

Your trusting your $30+ batteries and your $400+ vehicle on a $4 alarm, or cutoff, that may malfunction itself. He says in the plane world everyone just times it. Everyone runs their battery for a bit, plugs it in, and checks what the voltage is and how many "mah" it takes. So When I got a 2450mah lipo (2s), I ran it for 1/2 hour. It had about 8volts still and took 1000mah to charge. So now I know I get over an hour of run time on that battery. I usually stop at 55minutes for good measure. It usually reads 7.2v about then

Cutoffs are a great idea, But this seems to work pretty good too. I run stock esc btw.
The same thing could be said that you're trusting your batteries and expensive vehicle to an ESC with built in lipo cutoff that could malfunction. I do the same thing as you, though. I know how much runtime I have on my batteries before I hit cutoff and it's rare that I actually run them to the point of cutoff.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

thanks for the replies everybody
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

Will a higher "C" rating on the lipo cut the life of the esc and motors and if so what is the highest "C" rating have you guys been running safely
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I think it's impossible to tell what battery or C rating will cut the life of the ESC. It's simply just chance taking all around. That said, I ran a 40c battery on the stock ESC and it ran fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

I just picked up a rs10xt and my first question was can I run a lipo with the stock electronics? So I'm guessing the answer is "yes" but as far as cut off you need to be very careful or use a voltage cut off of some sort. I'm not even sure what shape pack this thing come with so is there anymore tips or tricks for doing this?

-DT-
lightningdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningdt View Post
I just picked up a rs10xt and my first question was can I run a lipo with the stock electronics? So I'm guessing the answer is "yes" but as far as cut off you need to be very careful or use a voltage cut off of some sort. I'm not even sure what shape pack this thing come with so is there anymore tips or tricks for doing this?

-DT-
Yep, you can run one. In my opinion, a lipo cutoff is necessary simply because you're taking a risk running one without a cutoff. If you go past the point of no return you're risking damaging the battery. A cutoff is inexpensive, so there's no reason to not use one...I paid less than $10 for mine.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterfellmeth View Post
I am looking to go lipo on the cat .and was wondering if it is as simple as plug and play with the cutoff. Or if there is any soldering etc thanks
Im having a really hard time with this same question. I contacted redcat and they told me that you can program the e401 for low voltage protection. They even emailed me the like for the pdf to go through the esc calibration but it is in chinglish and is poorly written so I am having a hard time figuring it out.
Here is the link to the pdf, If anyone here could help me figure it out it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/E401.pdf
Cautionflamable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Isn't it a built in feature? On the esc you move the jumper plug to where it says for lipo. It will cut power when you get to like 3.6v.
JoelTGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTGM View Post
Isn't it a built in feature? On the esc you move the jumper plug to where it says for lipo. It will cut power when you get to like 3.6v.
on everest i believe not the rs10
stump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Just add a low voltage alarm. You can pick one up for $3-$10. It just plugs into your battery and goes off when the voltage gets around 3.5V

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
tda271 is offline   Reply With Quote

lipo cutoff for the stock rs10 esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3S Lipo on Stock RS10 ESC FroadnFab Redcat Crawlers 25 06-25-2016 04:18 PM
Novak Brushless ESC lipo cutoff not working S/X Runner Electronics 23 05-06-2009 06:55 AM
ESC Brushless BEST one also lipo cutoff help needed 4x4Crawler4LIFE Newbie General 20 02-26-2008 09:01 AM
Waterproof ESC With Lipo cutoff? Maggster Electronics 8 12-12-2007 08:27 PM