Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Newfie build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newfie build

Well got my parts on order for my mods. 4 aluminum knuckles, axial bent links, steel gears, 656 servos, and white dot rovers. Can't wait for it to get in. Also adding some more weight to the front tires.
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Newfie build

Oh also thinking of dual batteries, and skid plate mod.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Lightbulb Re: Newfie build

Have you considered 2s or 3s lipo instead of dual-nimh? They're inexpensive, lightweight and work well if treated well.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I second that. Lipos really are a great investment. I resisted using them for quite a while and once I finally got them, I wanted to kick myself for not converting sooner. The pros far outweigh the cons.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Just make sure you use some form of lipo-cutoff and/or alarm/buzzer ($5-15) to keep your lipos from getting too low. Oh, and get a balance charger ($25-50) so each cell is matched to the rest of the pack. ;)

...and one more thing: NEVER leave charging batteries unattended or on/near anything flammable.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 04-18-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: forgot a safety tip
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Well i didn't realize this could handle lipo so i bought a new charger and i have 5 batteries nimh batteries. 2x5000mah,3000,18 and 1500. I run nitro revo as my other rig so I'm pretty much all nimh. Lipos in the future perhaps if i start buying electric rather than nitro.
What real advantage is there over nimh?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

everything.
continues power till cut off, longer run time, less maintenance in that you don't have to cycle them nearly as often. you can store a lipo at cut off voltage for months, charge it use it, charge and store it fully charged for months again. there is not real "memory" a lipo just takes power and stores it the way a battery should.

Any Esc can handle Lipo, it depends on the ESC specs. the RS10's crappy little stock ESC is rated 8.4 volts. you can get away with cramming 9.6 volts out of a NiMH pack into it with out cooking it. Or you can run a 2s lipo (7.4volts) and actually get better power, longer run time, and better performance all while carrying less weight. 3s (11.2 volts) will melt down a stock RS10 ESC plus that ESC has a tendancy to short out if you use the power switch with any voltage, always use the battery leads to power the ESC on and off. The reason is a internal ground circuit that is entirely to close to the battery Pos terminal.

for example of run time, one 2s 6000mah lipo on a single charge will run my big old heavy ass brushless powered bronco for a little over 3.5 hours or my rs10 (stock motors) for at least 4 hours. I get 3 hours out of my 3s 5000mah on the bronco.

Last edited by Docwolf; 04-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Wow that's a big difference. I literally just spent close to 300 bucks in past month, maybe eventually I'll go lipo but right now I'm better off buying the wife an slr camera then any more for my rc if u know what i mean.

Speaking of battery maintenance how often should i fully discharge my batteries? I usually use a 194 aka peanut bulb to drain them. My charger not discharge.

Also i have metal gears to install, is there any pics if that plate zno sells? I haven't looked at mine but I've hardly used it. What should i use for lubrication for the gears?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I think Nimh are recommended to be cycled like every other charge. A smart charger would be best, Hobbyking has the Eco6 which you can run off a car battery or power supply (no power supply included) for like $20 US. It will do all your packs and will improve their life. I even charge my drill battery with it.

I use white lithium on my gears.

what are you wanting to see? it is a direct replacement for the stock plastic plate, no modding required. steel gears, plate and hardened pins will make for a bullet proof gear case.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well i won't be home til tomorrow so i have no idea what that plate is supposed to go or do. I'm going to fab it myself. For hardened pins going to use hard drill bits or roll pins they are near impossible to bend. Because of where i live shipping is always a fortune. I live on an island off East of nova Scotia.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

you can get Lipos & charger ( + dont forget lipo alarm ) from HobbyKing really cheap (takes a long time to get but cheap) like i did, just run the stock battery until it shows up
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I got another question... a friend got same one, but his springs feel stiffer, although my rig even with spring spacers doesn't come all the way back up his bounces right back. I can hear the fluid in mine and hardly anything in his. I'm assuming that his either leaked out or wasn't filled up. might try transmission fluid, atleast it won't bubble and has conditioners in it for seals etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Also if I wanted to do a Dual ESC what would I search for if I was going to use stock. Just rs10 or rockfighter?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Fellow Newfie here, all I need to know is where are all the pics b'y???
Dgrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
RCC Addict

DGrouchy, what does "b'y" mean?

Newfie, is transmission fluid plastic/rubber-safe? Have you done that before with other shocks? Do you have to use a certain kind or is it all the same? Also, NIMH batteries don't need to be cycled; that was NICD which RC's don't use anymore.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Sorry waiting on to get my slr b4 i take some pics!!... Here in St John's b'y! Newfoundland lingo is hard to explain. B'y is like saying "where are all the pics man. We have sayings like "whatta ya at der cocky?" Meaning What are u doing there or what are u going at. haha don't mind us we are foolish!
Now yes it is plastic safe etc, Tranny fluid has got to be rubber and plastic safe. Have u ever seen inside a transmission? Lots of plastic and orings. Granted there are diff type of rubber etc but I also read of other using it for their shocks.
Most of the fluid is the same, there are diff types but it is mostly the additives that make the difference.

Ok nice to know about the batteries, I still will cycles them on occasion. Done wonders for my revo truck battery.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Ok so, I went to install the metal gears, stripped down the axle and what did I find. A bent pin. These things are really freaking soft! And not only is the pin soft so is the shaft. So after sizing everything up I decided to try to make my own plate to hold the pint to spur gear. What I used was the inside plate for the slipper clutch on a revo. Used a dremel and made it to size and drilled the holes and a few shims to take up the slop on the right side to the bearing and well I got to say I think its going to work. Only thing is it will still be a weak point because its only aluminum plate. I'm not really worried as these are cheap and I can have spares ready to go. IMO its ok sometimes to have a weak spot, just not to weak to keep from doing other damage.

I wish they didn't have a hollow spot on the spur....why didn't they just make that gear bigger or a plate for the back arrgghh!!! hahaha

I'm going to put a hard pin in and put her together. Let ya know how she works out later today! I was also looking at some Losi diffs I don't know the shaft sizes so hard to tell from pics but I'm going to start digging to see what I can come up with.

Oh to go back to other diffs I just came across this. but U get the idea, maybe can be modified to fit ours search up KB-61118 its a metal diff for a Twister. I'm just throwing ideas out.

Last edited by Newfie; 04-20-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
Now yes it is plastic safe etc, Tranny fluid has got to be rubber and plastic safe. Have u ever seen inside a transmission? Lots of plastic and orings. Granted there are diff type of rubber etc but I also read of other using it for their shocks.
Most of the fluid is the same, there are diff types but it is mostly the additives that make the difference.
Alright, maybe I'll give it a try; about what weight is it? Certainly is cheap!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

No idea the weight...but for about 4 bucks who cares worth a try.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I second that. Lipos really are a great investment. I resisted using them for quite a while and once I finally got them, I wanted to kick myself for not converting sooner. The pros far outweigh the cons.

i too wish i would have taken the LiPo road loooong ago!! :P
ive always heard for years how if you go lipo you wont look back...never believed it til i got x2 2S lipos for my 1st apache C1.

like NIGHT and DAY
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Newfie build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
need some help with a build idea.. want to build a military trucks m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 4 05-03-2011 02:28 PM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM