Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Tamiya/3racing lighting systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tamiya/3racing lighting systems

'Morning, folks!

I've settled on one of these two kits to do the lighting on my rig. Both kits do headlights, tail lights, brake, reverse lights and blinkers.

But, the 1/1 I'm modeling my rig after has brake, tail and blinker all on the same bulb. And the model's light buckets are fashioned this way.

Is there a way to wire up these kits to have blinker, tail light and brake light on the same LED?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the 3racing kit? I know the Tamiya's going to do well, but the 3racing is a 3rd the price and is contained in 1 unit instead of 2..Lol.

Thanks ahead of time!
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I've got the 3racing kit and it is nice, especially for the price and size compared to the two Tamiya units.

I'm not sure you can wire the lights like that.

Unless you squeeze 2 5mm red leds in the taillight housing (one for tail light/brake, the other for the turn signal) I don't think it can be done.

One thing I don't like with this system is if you have any trim on your steering servo, that blinker will stay on, so you have to make sure your servo is centered to prevent that.
That's not really a problem with the unit, more a design built in to it. If it had a trim pot on the light unit to center that channel, that would help.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to re-post this in the Electronics forum and see if anyone knows if anything can be re-wired to give the effect I'm looking for. There's only 2 posts per light--reverse and tail/brake..so I kind of need blinker, brake, and tail on the same bulb..Lol.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
One thing I don't like with this system is if you have any trim on your steering servo, that blinker will stay on, so you have to make sure your servo is centered to prevent that.
Good to know, I have been looking at this kit, basically for the price and I would have to re-adjust my steering since it is trimmed out a bit. Is there any "play" in the center or does it have to be exactly centered?
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There's a very little amount of play for the center, but not a whole lot. It is still a good system.

There is one other thing that is a little strange; the headlights brighten when you go forward. That doesn't happen on 1:1s so not sure why they programmed it that way. There are enough slots that you can plug the headlights into the slot that is constant on though.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That sounds good. Are tail/brake on the same bulb? I'm trying to keep everything on as few bulbs as possible..Lol. Shame on these 1:1 manufacturers building their products difficult for us to replicate!

Still trying to think of a way to get tail, brake and blinker on the same bulb..Maybe a Y-cable?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage View Post
That sounds good. Are tail/brake on the same bulb? I'm trying to keep everything on as few bulbs as possible..Lol. Shame on these 1:1 manufacturers building their products difficult for us to replicate!

Still trying to think of a way to get tail, brake and blinker on the same bulb..Maybe a Y-cable?
There is a tail light slot, and a brake light slot.
The Tail Light is constant on, and the brake light is 50% on, 100% when brake is applied.

This video might clear it up for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Dlm...layer_embedded

The only thing that I'd be worried about with a y-cable is putting too much voltage into the LED.