Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: JKRC 1/10 Scale Autoshop/Photobooth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JKRC 1/10 Scale Autoshop/Photobooth

I've been wanting to try one of these for a while and just couldn't wait any longer. There was an inspiring scale garage on here a while back that got my gears grinding. I've got a thread going over on CC but thought I'd share over here too.
I'll get you caught up ...Hope you guys like it!
---------------------------------------------------

Well lights....My buddy Darwin and I were looking at the lights I had planned for and if their not at least 14" away they'll melt the bodies .
I'm thinking a combination of halogen pucks and full spektrum lighting.
The exiting news today though is that the garage just got waaaay bigger!

I think this is going to be alot of fun.
I was wrapped up in XMas decorating yesterday so I didn't get as much accomplished as I'd like to but I have the bench moved over to the wall. You wouldn't believe how many AX10 parts were under that island...Funny what builds up over the years!
So Today I need to trim out the door finally and patch up and paint the wall, I've been hanging and airbrushing signs on it for the last 3 years and there's the odd screw hole and overspray on it.

The shop will be 4' x 4' and after laying out a few bodies I think it should hold 3-4 cars in the backdrop and leave enough build area for the feature car.

I'm on the hunt today for a nice sheet of laminate countertop that looks and has the texture of garage floor. Thinking that it would be nice to have it washable and they're available in 4 x 4 sheets at the lumber yard.
Going to pick up the supplies for the structure so I can start building.
UNGLEWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Grabbed some supplies this morning and decided to get some holes filled and the main walls up.
The walls are one side finished 3/8 plywood braced with 1/4 pine. I want to use plywood on the walls so I can glue all of my balsa details to it using wood glue. It doesn't need to be very strong because the roof and lighting will hang from the ceiling and hover over the top. I want to be able to adjust the lighting in a few different ways and distance is one of them.

Waiting for the filler to dry on the floor and wood glue to set up.

This thing's going to be a monster!

Floors are done and need to dry for the next few days. This will give me a chance to get all of my doors and windows mocked up. Grabbing loads of balsa and styrene tomorrow.

Man I'm so exited to get started but I'm taking the planning a little slow so I don't have to back track.
Need to figure out layout, wiring, lighting before my first batch of materials get here next week.
I'm going for an old textile factory/warehouse/cariage house look. The lower portions of the walls will be stone (fake stone) and I'll use some beams and stuff.
Have plans for real miniature lighting and think I've even got my scale flourescents figured out. Maybe even working outlets. If I'm going to build this I may as well go nuts on it.

My plan is to get the interior complete to the point it looks like we've just moved in. I'll shoot all my builds in the shop as I build the shop. I hope this will add a new level of realism to my threads.
Floors are dry tonight so I might sneak out to take a few pics with the cars in it so you can see the scale of it.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Took a few cars out to give you a bit better visual...So, here we go

Along the back wall I want a second level entrance door and stairs up to a second level. I'm planning a loft of some sort with storage and office space. The cardboard box represents some sort of office space or design area for the lower level (JKRC). I want to work the Crawl Canada office into the design for sure. Seeing how the real Crawl Canada is brought to you by Jowett's Kustom RC, it's only fitting the two of us have a scale office in here too!

Here's a shot to show that 4 cars can easily fit in the space...what's most surprising is the space between them that you don't notice till you look from up top.

This second pic the cars were not moved! There's so much room for details, tools and equipment. When the hoists go in I'll have room for two more cars under them also

So even now when I take pics for my build thread they're more interesting with other scale stuff in the background...sorry the lighting's way off but you get the idea.

This might take a while!
I'm making a bunch of old vintage signs...and today decided that they'll light up.
I figured while planning, may as well plan for insanity...I'm already accused of building a doll house, if we raise the bar hopefully we appear excentric instead of fruit cakeish!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thought I'd get started back at this thread as I've got lots of supplies in this week.
First I'll show you some of my reference images to show you the style of shop I'm building towards.
These first shots are from dioramas for smaller scale models of one of the sites I frequent...
This one's the closest to the color and era of shop.

I'm still pulling in images of the roof/beam detail mainly for the beams and overhead crane, lighting...
The doors in the shop will look like over sized carage house doors...something like these
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

While cleaning out the shop early this morning I found some rono leftovers for one of our sets of lighting. I'd like to have 3 stages of lighting in the end.
The first two would be for taking build thread photos and #3 will just be to make the shop look cool
1. Halogen
2. Simulated Sun light
3. Actual Scale lighting

My Flagstone styrene came in this week for the lower walls.
My Hardwood beams are painted my accent color (Italian Olive) and the second part of my lighting is here for the rooftop....Day Light!

Now I have to take some time and scale down my door measurements and get the main beams into place. I've decided that the lower office space will be the JKRC design/area...possibly moving CC upstairs. More pics on the way!

Have a few paper templates made so I can shuffle the doors around on the left side...think I'm going to add another and space them out a bit. Getting final placement for the first beams figured out I can glue and tack them into place tonight.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Okay, added the 3rd door and got the beams sitting in place. I think I'm liking the location of the man door and basic footprint of the office space. Next is getting the doors roughed in, beams drilled and screwed into place and prep for the loft area.

Picked up a huge stack of little lumber this morning and the last Parma Hemi's I could get my mits on.

Got some more of the beams into place, got some of the paint on the upper walls (1st coat) and applied the test portions of the flag stone.

A close up of the flag stone, lots of painting and weathering to do but it looks pretty good so far I think.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

After lunch I set some stuff in place to get an idea of how things are coming along.
Again the cardboard box represents the small office space and the 2 beams resting on top are the mockup for the 2nd level walkway and loft area

When you crouch down to what would be ground level things really come into perspective. I just snapped a few shots for fun to see what the wall detail and depth of cars would look like.

--------------------------------------
That's it so far...started some of the engines and tools today.
Will post more later if you guys are interested.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
0 0

cant wait to see the finished product. i love stuff like this
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm getting a feeling I finally found my itch...the never ending project. Expecting this will be some of the most fun in scale RC I've had yet. Making this modular for the most part so I can move it and build a bigger one later.
Starting to get some detail stuff together while I'm doing my computer stuff.
Made a rough engine stand for the first of 4 motors that will be partially built around the shop.
This is the Hemi so far

Have my measurements for the first tool box after company leaves tonight.

Got my base coats down and should be able to get most of this finished late tonight.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
20K Club

Very cool idea. Pretty good sized, take a lot of commitment to the hobby. I dig it
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Really cool idear....subscribed.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
RCC Addict

That JEEP is nice do you have a link for topic on it?
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice work keep it up.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

wow that really cool
ax10rtrmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, hoping to do the bulk of the detail work and modeling in Dec if I can get some time off.
A little bit of styrene goes a long way for the stands, I still have to detail it a bit and add my wheels but it's a 20 minute build with some scrap. Can't wait to get at my old Parma Big Block Chevy!

A bit more progress before my company shows up...

Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Such a great idea! I wish I had space for something like this. I'm really into building dioramas and structures.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep up the good work.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Very very cool, Updates?
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Such a great idea! I wish I had space for something like this. I'm really into building dioramas and structures.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep up the good work.
You could always do the structure in foam board so you could hang it up...maybe even suspend it over your work area so you can lower it when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOMHILUX View Post
Very very cool, Updates?
Only updates are some detail on engine #1...family gathering this afternoon. Waiting to make sure the adhesive doesent melt my flagstone styrene so I can continue the walls and doors later tonight.

Thanks for the comments guys
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I think everyone's getting a little irritated, but I've been sneaking back to the table today family functions and building don't rally mix.
Lots of work happening after dinner!!!
Grabbed a few handfuls of balsa and brought it into the office. Made th efirst of many wodden benches.

Looks much better with a little stain on it.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

haha that vdub shop is amazing!! looks like yours is coming along nicely too, keep us updated.
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote