Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Accessories

Notices

Thread: Best winch cable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Best winch cable

I just converted a Hitec 645MG for winch duty on my well loved (and abused) SCX-10.

I am going to use it regularly it seems like it's going to make scaling even more fun. I have a lot of experience with 1:1 winches from all the times I've gotten my ATV stuck.. Gotta love that 3000lb Warn winch.. Wish they made winches for R/C that'd be awesome.

Just to test things out I currently have some 12lb fishing line on the spool it pulls hard but sudden jolts snap it easily.. I managed to pull my dining room table across the floor after anchoring the winch to the other side of the room and combining the trucks power and winch it moved it.

I was at the hardware store today and they had some 1/16 cable but way too big.. I'm figuring some sort of salt water fishing line or something but I don't know where to start.

Here is a front shot.. The servo is mounted extremely ghetto style, but it works so far! The table pull didn't stress it. Only used big wire ties, two sided tape, and a piece of lexan.

I'm going to get the RC4WD fairlead and put it right in the middle of my bumper and also getting one of thier hooks at the same time for the end of whatever cable I end up with.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Go to Michaels or AC Moore and pick up some tiger tail in the jewelry making section..
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

they do make winches for RCs, both in 1/8 and 1/10 scale
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
they do make winches for RCs, both in 1/8 and 1/10 scale

DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #5

Hey

This fishing line is not bad vor a winch but not very scale
I use a Kevlar ® Aramid rope from the flight sport with Ø1,5mm130daN breaking load
kreison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Go to your local tackle shop and look in the line section you need to find the rolls of plastic coated wire used to make traces or leaders. I bought some 40kg stuff for my bulldog winch and spooled on about 1.5m of it. The connection for the tow hook will fail before the line will.

Or find a climbing store and look in thier rope section for the smallest diameter stuff they have if you can find some blue stuff it would like dynamica winch rope.

My 2c,
Rich
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I use 80lb test braided fishing line, it looks just like synthetic winch rope. Only downside is it is not abrasion resistant. I originally put on 10 feet of it, but it's less now after a break here and there.

I do have a question for you though. I built a servo winch long before the "Warn" 3Racing winches. Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time getting the potentiometer to stay put. Under hard pulls, or when I secure the line after winching, it seems to move the pot. Then it slowly spools out when not in use. It's really getting annoying. Anyone have a solution?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post

I do have a question for you though. I built a servo winch long before the "Warn" 3Racing winches. Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time getting the potentiometer to stay put. Under hard pulls, or when I secure the line after winching, it seems to move the pot. Then it slowly spools out when not in use. It's really getting annoying. Anyone have a solution?
Ahh, drifting. cheapest bandaid is to put a switch in your servo lead. Switch it on when winching and off when driving.

Always wanted to try a digital Hitec and program the deadband to see if I could cure the dreaded drifting.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I have read about that drifting problem. I haven't really had a problem with it so far... I do know with my DX3.0 I can just adjust the 3rd channel trim and it stops and stays put over time.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Put a dab of ca glue on the pot once you have it adjusted. That should work fine, has for me.

Hope this helps
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
I use 80lb test braided fishing line, it looks just like synthetic winch rope. Only downside is it is not abrasion resistant. I originally put on 10 feet of it, but it's less now after a break here and there.

What servo are you using ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

As for winch rope i use builder string line work fine and you can see it fine.
popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
On the lookout for Rocks

IMO...this is the best to use.....

49 Strand Beadalon

Can be found at Michael or Hobby Lobby

I purchased about 15' of scale synthetic rope from Stefan @ ScaleOffroad.com I just haven't gotten around to loading my winches yet.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
IMO...this is the best to use.....

49 Strand Beadalon

Can be found at Michael or Hobby Lobby

I purchased about 15' of scale synthetic rope from Stefan @ ScaleOffroad.com I just haven't gotten around to loading my winches yet.
What diameter are you using on the beadalon ?

Stefan winch line looks good. But I bet it pricey.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

50lb test braided spider wire. Looks just like cable too.
jgammill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
What servo are you using ?
Sorry, it's a Hitec 645.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Sorry, it's a Hitec 645.
Since the 645 is analog servo that reason it "wondering" if you went to digital say like a 5645 it wouldn't "wonder".

I had the same problem with towerpro servos. They "wondered" no matter what you did. Just how it is with cheap electronics.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
What diameter are you using on the beadalon ?

Stefan winch line looks good. But I bet it pricey.
.018"

Stefans was $3.50 per 6' and like $6 for shipping. I just had to try it. I bought 18 ft of it....so $16 for 18' vs like $15 for 49 strand Beadalon.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

well thats not exactly 100% true. I have wantAsummit working with War Pig on his winch to cure the drifting issues that are common on most servo's, some are not as noticable as others. As a matter a fact after talking to Tim tonight. he found the $100+ HiTec digital servo's have a cut off built in them. But I think with a little time here, that whole drifting issue will be solved with wantAsummit's electronics know how.

Quote:
Since the 645 is analog servo that reason it "wondering" if you went to digital say like a 5645 it wouldn't "wonder".

I had the same problem with towerpro servos. They "wondered" no matter what you did. Just how it is with cheap electronics.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

well I hope so I have a RC4WD winch and it drift also just about ready to take the dam thing off.

Last edited by rockerrc; 11-04-2010 at 10:57 AM.
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote