Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Why is the safari not Allowed In scale comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Why is the safari not Allowed In scale comp

I started this in the general section from my reading of the rules the safari is not allowed I just want to know why and if I can mod the stock chassi to be legal

Here was my original post

Like the title says is it just the shock placement or is thier something eles I'm mean it dosent look much different then the cr-o1 chassis to me

Thank you for your time
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Why is the safari not Allowed In scale comp

tvp.
kennyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

It does not have a scale chassis. The Twin Vertical Plate design is a comp crawler chassis.
you could build a chassis or buy a scx10chassis and mount everything to it... the skid may need some thought.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok so the cr-01 isn't a legal chassi either then just trying to figure this out guys. We realy need a box stock class for those of us that don't have the extra to throw on a 500 Dollar rig. Rules would be simple must be box stock other than electronics and water proofing elc must work as the did in stock form ei no digs on moa unless the came from factor. tires and body can be swapped. Ties must be a factory style tire ie came on a box stock crawler. classes by tire size scale and comp decided by body. If it looks like something you might see on trail it is a scaler if not its comp. scale accessories allowed on scaler. Big rule no whining bigger rule have fun
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Local clubs can develop any class they would like It would be a nearly immpossable task for SORRCA to encompass any and every possible class.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Here's my take on the Creeper/Safari versus the CR-01.

Tamiya built that chassis as a scale type rig from the get-go. Venom simply added (looks like) a couple external frame rails to their already available and unchanged comp rig. Even the shock length/placement never changed. Tamiya does not have a more capable comp rig available using the CR-01 chassis nor would anyone ever attempt to (I wouldn't think) make it into a full comp rig.

Sanctioning bodies made exceptions for the Tamiya rig probably because of it's designed intention, materials, suspension geometry, suspension travel and above all, it's general chassis construction.

My opinions and small insight.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

RTR Honchos are $350ish, and used even less. A box stock Honcho is very competitive and fun!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know what a honch cost I looked at them still do but my venom cost 150 brand new off eBay coudnt pass it up its not really a big deal. I just don't see that much of a difference between the two is all. Like i said I was just asking I'm competitive Pearson so like to compete we're I can. I'm sure by the time I am ready to get anther crawler this one will be on home built chassi anyway my next toy will be a wraith or I might get brave and try bending some tubes. I will say the cr-01 chassi dosent look scale to me at all. I mean cantilever shock with just springs monted up and down. monster truck style tube chassi looks preaty side plate to me just made of plastic. i think it was compermise again this is all from me looking at pics. I also understand why we can't have people just throwing rails on a comp crawler and going to town. I will say I think a box stock class would be fun thow
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterchristopher View Post
I know what a honch cost I looked at them still do but my venom cost 150 brand new off eBay coudnt pass it up its not really a big deal. I just don't see that much of a difference between the two is all. Like i said I was just asking I'm competitive Pearson so like to compete we're I can. I'm sure by the time I am ready to get anther crawler this one will be on home built chassi anyway my next toy will be a wraith or I might get brave and try bending some tubes. I will say the cr-01 chassi dosent look scale to me at all. I mean cantilever shock with just springs monted up and down. monster truck style tube chassi looks preaty side plate to me just made of plastic. i think it was compermise again this is all from me looking at pics. I also understand why we can't have people just throwing rails on a comp crawler and going to town. I will say I think a box stock class would be fun thow
Just throw a SCX10 chassis on your venom running gear, shorter shocks, good to go!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I would but I chose a body with a 14 inch wheel base
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

It's very easy to make your own links.
Then you can tune it!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterchristopher View Post
I would but I chose a body with a 14 inch wheel base
The chassis doesn't determine the wheelbase unless you get to the extremes on both ends of the spectrum. I've seen wheelbases up to 16", you'll run into driveshaft length issues before chassis length. One of my scx based toy trucks has a wheelbase of 13.7"
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Why is the safari not Allowed In scale comp - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is the safari not a scale crawler alterchristopher General Scale Talk 4 09-13-2012 02:42 PM
Atlanta Winter Scale Safari Pic smokediver Georgia 5 02-27-2011 08:31 PM
Atlanta Winter Scale Safari Colby Georgia 33 01-08-2011 12:03 AM
Atlanta Winter Scale Safari @Stone Mountain Colby Alabama 0 11-26-2010 01:12 PM
Why is rear steering not allowed in comp.? BigGrump Chit Chat 17 12-06-2008 11:52 PM