Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Class 1 body trimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Class 1 body trimming

Did the search and couldn't find any specific thread or details on Class 1 body trimming. If there is please let me know and delete this thread Admins.

Not trying to start an argument or put this builder on blast just looking for clarification with an example and hopefully if this thread stays up other examples can be added.

Class-1 “Street” Details:
• The vehicles body must be mostly intact. Only mild trimming such as flairs & removing a hardtop are allowed.
If the hardtop is removed, a full interior is required (no extreme trimming of bodies allowed *See below.)

I know this can be read in a few different ways, but specifically for the scale rules committee, no need to get into the local or club level rulings.

Name:  13934751_1212960782089469_4752310450004561489_n.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  51.2 KB

I wouldn't call this mild but its not extreme either in the sense of the body is mostly intact.

I would call it legal at the comps I host but I wouldn't allow the same truck with flat cut fender wells since I would consider that "extreme" and beyond just trimming the flairs.

Per the rules description:
A street legal off-road vehicle that you would drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an
expedition vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs.

I'm in Colorado so I see a lot of "trail ready" daily drivers on the road with cut fenders, some could definitely be questioned for their legality by the local police.
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Class 1 body trimming

A few more examples, mainly focusing on the body trimming, lets not go off on the tires, cages, etc.

This is a truck I built a while back, Class 2 so body trimming would be in question. Fender wells are cut to extreme to fit the tires. For class 1 specs again I would call this a "gray area" but with smaller class 1 legal tires the fender trimming would be significantly less.
Name:  de22d42dffa986aabafe6dbf4c921b61.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  62.0 KB

Another example, not my truck just gathering pics form the interwebs. Forget the cage work or the tires, looking at the front fender cut for this.
Name:  img_2011.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  80.4 KB

Last edited by The Crawl Space; 08-09-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Im not on the rules committee but I dont see how any of those cuts could be called illegal - I live in southern ohio and I have seen far worse done by hillbillies with sawzalls driving around here.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crawl Space View Post
Did the search and couldn't find any specific thread or details on Class 1 body trimming. If there is please let me know and delete this thread Admins.

Not trying to start an argument or put this builder on blast just looking for clarification with an example and hopefully if this thread stays up other examples can be added.

Class-1 “Street” Details:
• The vehicles body must be mostly intact. Only mild trimming such as flairs & removing a hardtop are allowed.
If the hardtop is removed, a full interior is required (no extreme trimming of bodies allowed *See below.)

I know this can be read in a few different ways, but specifically for the scale rules committee, no need to get into the local or club level rulings.

Attachment 346913

I wouldn't call this mild but its not extreme either in the sense of the body is mostly intact.

I would call it legal at the comps I host but I wouldn't allow the same truck with flat cut fender wells since I would consider that "extreme" and beyond just trimming the flairs.

Per the rules description:
A street legal off-road vehicle that you would drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an
expedition vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs.

I'm in Colorado so I see a lot of "trail ready" daily drivers on the road with cut fenders, some could definitely be questioned for their legality by the local police.

As far as the fenders go, I don't have an issue with them. The fronts on the blue and white truck are pushing it though. Those same cuts on a different body may look way more extreme.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
Im not on the rules committee but I dont see how any of those cuts could be called illegal - I live in southern ohio and I have seen far worse done by hillbillies with sawzalls driving around here.
Agreed, we have a lot of knockaround offroad types here and you see some "inventive" body work for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
As far as the fenders go, I don't have an issue with them. The fronts on the blue and white truck are pushing it though. Those same cuts on a different body may look way more extreme.
Rajah dat, the front fenders where in question on the blue and white truck for Class 1 legality.

Hopefully we can get some more people to post pics of other trucks for reference
Old 08-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Yeah, I'd rather see it with some material added to the back of the fenders so they weren't so long. They are definitely pushing the boundaries...
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I was about to ask the same question... How about this truck? Too far for class 1?

XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would let it fly, but that's just me
Old 08-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's "technically" boat sided, but proline bodies are un-proportionately long in the door area, so I am not sure how that works out here.

I know what I would have said, but I'm not on the committee anymore
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

As for the wheel wells I think it's okay but you can not remove any material from the bottom of the doors, that's boat sideing and not legal in class 1.

No matter if it 1/16 of a inch or 1 inch it's all the same, it doesn't matter if is unproportional from proline removing any material from the bottom is illegal, in class 1
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
It's "technically" boat sided, but proline bodies are un-proportionately long in the door area, so I am not sure how that works out here.

I know what I would have said, but I'm not on the committee anymore
Ah yes, I was mainly looking at the wheel wells, totally missed the "boat sides"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob dude View Post
As for the wheel wells I think it's okay but you can not remove any material from the bottom of the doors, that's boat sideing and not legal in class 1.

No matter if it 1/16 of a inch or 1 inch it's all the same, it doesn't matter if is unproportional from proline removing any material from the bottom is illegal, in class 1
Thanks for jumping in ...Dude. The hot topic for us locally has been wheel wells, most guys are running hard bodies and trimming at the doors hasn't been an issue but a good area to watch.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Kinda silly when you say it out loud though no?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Kinda silly when you say it out loud though no?
?? Long night last night, I'm not picking up what you're laying down.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Wheel wells are kind of a grey area, my opinion is and it's only my opinion is if you are running Class 1 legal tires you should be allowed to clear them with body trimming. But that being said there is a fine line to only trim the bare minimum to clear whatever size tire you are running.

And if you trim to much and it looks stupid maybe it is, if people used more common sence and didn't push the rules to the max maybe there would be less rules, and we wouldn't have to address and change rules just to control 1% of the people that say there are to many rules.

Last edited by boob dude; 08-16-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crawl Space View Post
?? Long night last night, I'm not picking up what you're laying down.
Was referring to my illegal cuts, even if it makes it look more proportionate.

That's the issue I have with some of these rules, thy end up limiting what I can build to be legal. Yet a fiberglass chassis with an angled skid and a lexan body is ok.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be ok, but I hardly think my trimming fenders and a bit off the doors is going to slow down that other rig I mentioned.

I get that they are trying to make it fair, but I don't know that would ever happen, so I think I'd rather be allowed to build my truck. That way when I get walked, I still have something cool I built to play with.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I really think that there needs to be another look taken at the rules for Class 1.

I like the thoughts of hard bodies only. I mean, C1 needs to be about the builds and scale realism. Not necessarily pure performance. The courses need to reflect this as well. Full interiors, chassis mounted servo etc. I think that tire size is a little generous to say the least. Again, this is my personal opinion...but these should be something that in real life you wouldn't have any issues throwing the keys to your significant other and making a store run or taking the kids to school.

One area I think could use some tightening up as well is pulling more than just half the tire width under the fenders.

But then again, there is another time and place to hash that out.
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
I really think that there needs to be another look taken at the rules for Class 1.

I like the thoughts of hard bodies only. I mean, C1 needs to be about the builds and scale realism. Not necessarily pure performance. The courses need to reflect this as well. Full interiors, chassis mounted servo etc. I think that tire size is a little generous to say the least. Again, this is my personal opinion...but these should be something that in real life you wouldn't have any issues throwing the keys to your significant other and making a store run or taking the kids to school.

One area I think could use some tightening up as well is pulling more than just half the tire width under the fenders.

There are changes coming for Class 1 next year, not everything you want but there will be changes to the rules for the class. Class 1 has been and continues to be a topic of conversation and voting for the past few months.

But that's a topic for another day lets not clutter up the thread with a bunch of other ideas, let's just keep on the trimming topic.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob dude View Post
There are changes coming for Class 1 next year, not everything you want but there will be changes to the rules for the class. Class 1 has been and continues to be a topic of conversation and voting for the past few months.

But that's a topic for another day lets not clutter up the thread with a bunch of other ideas, let's just keep on the trimming topic.
Agreed, My intent was to create a thread to cover a specific topic in question, mainly so it was easier to find for new builders or anyone that had the same or similar question. I'm open to the discussion, we can get a separate thread started for class 1 rules and specs
Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Yeah....got on my soap box a bit. I think the trimming should be limited to minor shaping of the lower corners. I think stretching the upper radius of the opening is getting a little past minor.

RC4WD Team Driver*Krawl Off-Road
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah....got on my soap box a bit. I think the trimming should be limited to minor shaping of the lower corners. I think stretching the upper radius of the opening is getting a little past minor.

RC4WD Team Driver*Krawl Off-Road
All good, we all have our opinions on points that arise its easy to go on a tangent

Class 1 body trimming - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trimming a body Raguvian Paint and Body 4 02-05-2010 06:00 PM
Trimming Axial RTR body RustlerHustler Paint and Body 5 04-23-2009 11:24 PM
Trimming a body neatly? birdie Paint and Body 15 02-08-2008 07:12 AM
body trimming terrongregg Paint and Body 5 01-12-2008 12:43 PM
Body Trimming roddyf Paint and Body 11 11-15-2006 09:55 PM