Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Scale Videos!

Notices

Thread: SCX10 at Joshua Tree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX10 at Joshua Tree

Here's a first edit of crawling at Joshua Tree National Park. The rocks are awesome, the weather was great, and the scenery perfect. Enjoy the video and please leave some feedback for my next edit/project. It's roughly 10 minutes long so enjoy with your beverage of choice.

from Rene Noble on Vimeo.

Last edited by K.O.M.; 05-03-2010 at 03:10 PM.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Joshua Tree/ Jumbo Rocks is awesome. I went there last year for a camping trip and brought my comp rig and scaler and had a blast.
cfox109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice video, man. That place looks beautiful. I've never seen scenery like that before.

You need some weights in those wheels!
jdrake19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I almost didn't bring the scaler to Joshua Tree, because I thought I wasn't going to have enough time out there. It's only about an hour further east from Johnson Valley SRVA, so if you make it out there to play with your 1:1 rig, I highly recommend planning at least another day just to camp out and chill with your smaller rigs on the rocks.

Speaking of rocks, it's like having 10 grit sandpaper everywhere covering all the boulders. I think you can run solid plastic wheels and your rig will still make it up the steeps--well maybe not!

As for the wheel weights, I've been holding off for a long time now (what 30 days?) just playing with battery and running gear placement so that I get the best weight distribution on the truck. I really want it to descend as well as it climbs, so I've been focusing on more of a balanced setup. I did one final tweak on the rig and I'm now ready to add weight on the wheels as well as finding a good tire foam combo front and rear.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I was loving your vid. I haven't back to that area since the last time we had to go to 29 Palms, just before being deployed for the First Gulf war. I really miss the desert, I hope to make it back there someday while I'm still able to enjoy it!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Cool stuff! It's really nice out there. Got to spend a little time in that area on the way to LA one time. Nice work!
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Love the vid (as I have said on vortex)! I like that you used Autopilot Off "Long Way To Fall". I saw them at a festival show like 7-8 years ago in Hartford.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #8

what was the best battery combo that you've found for this rig in your opinion. I'm thinking about getting one of these to make it into a crawler/tow rig for the boat that I'm building...
msustp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I started out using some 3000mAh NiMH stick packs I had left over from when I was racing 10th scale touring cars. With the stock 27 turn motor and gearing, I can get 1.5 hours out of each pack. Only downside is the stick pack weight and placement for crawling (I strapped mine in an alternate spot--look at the SCX10 forums for photos of what I did).

For any type of competitive crawling, I use a 3s 850mAh 45c LiPo pack from Thunder Power. I only get 0.5 hours out of each pack, but it weighs 1/3 the NiMH pack and is less than 1/2 the size. I can stash this thing on a lexan plate with velcro between the chassis rails for an even lower center of gravity.

The videos were done using the stick packs because I didn't have room to bring the charger on my trip and wasn't sure of how long I would be filming.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Nice job on the vid. That place is awsome. That truck takes a lickin a few times and keeps crawlin. Thanks for sharing...
CRAWLERCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #11

how much weight in front would be good?
LayLowBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That place seems great! Rock looks real grippy.
crawlHTX is offline   Reply With Quote