Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Chargeing Lipo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Chargeing Lipo's

After reading the thread about the Mini Juice fire it got me thinking about how I was charging mine before in the rig. Can someone post up some do's and donts about this. Post up any accidents as well. My rig should be done next weekend
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I'll start. Don't drill through your battery so you can put a screw through it to mount to the chassis.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
I'll start. Don't drill through your battery so you can put a screw through it to mount to the chassis.

LOL. Im gonna order a lipo charge bag.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My thing is just don't leave them unattended for long periods of time. Keep check on the temps. Be cautious but don't read to much into bad hype. If its starts bulging trash it; you will be asking for trouble if you dont.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

x2...theres lots of bad talk floating around out there but these batteries have been around for a long time...although maybe not in RC. common sense goes a long way with a lot of this hobby and the batteries arent any different. like limited said...grab them every once in a while and squeeze. youll be able to feel the difference between a good pack and one thats on the way out. inspect them for rubbing or weak areas every now and again. just another form of "maintenance" that your rig will require.

for what its worth i wouldnt charge it in your rig no matter how good your packs are...its just not worth it. if you dont wanna spend the money on a lipo sack you can pick up a military ammo can at northern tool or wherever and use one of them. ive got one here that ive been meaning to clean up so i can transport all of my lipos on trips. i just think it would suck to have them in my toolbox in the trunk and find out the hard way that they decided to let go...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've had lipos for 2 years now and I have always charged them while balancing. I wouldnt recommend charging in the vehicle either.

I do need to pick up a lipo sack or some type of container to keep them in. All in all I have 14 packs and I never charge them unless I am right there. Just like Ryan said, common sense goes a long way when dealing with lipos. And I always respect what can happen if they are mistreated. I never say "oh that will never happen to mine", cause as soon as I do, all 14 will detonate! LOL!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Don't be a dumbass like me, read the manual that came with the charger. I didn't and thought that since the balance lead was plugged into the charger that it was getting balanced while charging. Apparently there's another setting for that. Wasted two LiPo's before I realized I was doing it wrong
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

What kind of charger is everybody using?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I am using an Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I am using an IMAX B5. I got it on ebay for about 50 bucks shipped. It can charge up to 5s. They have newer versions now that can do 6s and the new lifepo packs.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Just wondering im using a Onyx 230. Im definitley buying a lipo bag
Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

My tip is to use a good charger. Some do a more accourate job on balancing than others. Also get a charger that easy to use and that is AC/DC. Lipos are easy as long as fallow the rules.

Oh and the charger I recommend is the Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC. I know where you can get them at a great price too!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Jason, you coming to the granny gear comp. Bring some Lipo's??