Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Saturday vs. Sunday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Saturday vs. Sunday

This gets tossed around quite a bit, but we always seem to decide to choose Saturdays for our events. I guess one of the biggest reasons for this is that if anyone is traveling a few hours it means they won't be getting home late on a Sunday night before having to be at work early Monday. The other side of this is that there are a couple guys that make it to most get togethers and comps but have to work Saturdays. That means they have to ask off and make arrangements for someone to cover them. I know it won't be possible to work it out for everyone every time, but I just thought I'd see what everyone's opinion is on holding comps or get togethers for other events on Sundays vs. Saturdays. It'll really help to hear from all of the new guys to see what their preferences are so that we can continue to include them!

Thanks

Ryan

Last edited by ittybitty; 02-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I could do either day really, but columbia or neal shoals is about as far as I would go on a sunday.
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I agree with Travis. 9 times out of 10 im off on Sundays
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Either one but I agree with Travis on the traveling
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I want to thank everyone for hopping on my band wagon.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Plus there's racing, beer drinking, and truck washing to do on Sundays, but I'll make exceptions.
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstergt View Post
Plus there's racing, beer drinking, and truck washing to do on Sundays, but I'll make exceptions.

I'm game for either day the majority of the time. Sundays works just as well.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Really does not make much of a difference to me. I know you guys that do comps usually have some traveling to do to get there and back, and that can make for a long day. Always nice to have a day after to recoup and do family stuff.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Saturday would be better for me because I have things at Church on sunday..
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevMc View Post
Really does not make much of a difference to me. I know you guys that do comps usually have some traveling to do to get there and back, and that can make for a long day. Always nice to have a day after to recoup and do family stuff.
x2. if we could speed the comps up and be done by 2 it may help sundays become a option.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ok so it looks like Saturdays are the best option. We provide a month's notice so I think that should be plenty to make arrangements at work or with family if necessary.

I had a few suggestions for speeding the comps up and one of them stuck in my head. Several of us would prefer to stick with the free crawl format as opposed to going with something that tells drivers when they have to be on course and in what order. That may be what we end up doing, but since we have so many new drivers I believe it helps to allow them to watch as much as possible.

What if we split everyone up at the drivers meeting into three groups and then assign a time limit for the courses being vacant. I'm thinking 5-10 minutes and if there isn't anyone on the course it gets closed and whoever didn't run it will receive a 50 for that course, which is basically the same as DNS/F. This will get people moving on all three courses however it won't be telling them who has to go first and will keep us from running one course at a time. The downside is that we do have to have a judge at each course to keep track of the time. It might be an option that if you judge you will judge 3 drivers and switch with one of the other judges even if that judge hasn't seen three drivers. Then the judges will drive last. This will allow the judges to see all of the courses being run rather than being stuck on the same course all day as well as, what most think is a benefit, being the last to run each course. These three judges would most likely have to travel to each course together so that there is someone to judge them, but would rotate order through the courses. In other words each judge would go first on a course...first of the three judges anyway.

How does this sound?

EDIT: We would split everyone up randomly...draw a name out of a hat or something along those lines. Another option might be to create a sign in sheet with 1,2,3 being entered randomly at each driver slot. The person signing people in would be responsible for keeping people from seeing the order to create their own groups.

Last edited by ittybitty; 02-28-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODBLDZ View Post
x2. if we could speed the comps up and be done by 2 it may help sundays become a option.
That's what i'm talking about.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

That also sounds good to me Ryan. But it don't matter to me i'll run how ever, when ever, where ever. Almost like a comp whore.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by easleycrawler View Post
That also sounds good to me Ryan. I'll take it how ever, when ever, where ever. Almost like a comp whore.
I hear ya man.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Saturdays are typically easier than Sundays for us.

I agree with Todd though, if the comps could be more efficient then it would not be as much of an issue.

You need to figure out how to have more than 3-5 people volunteering to judge/time if you want to allow judges to get to watch others run. We went through this, that is why we do it the way we do now.

Make a list of your SCRCC actual members.......those people should be prepared to work at the club comps.

I would recommend a 5 min max time limit that a course can stay open with no one on it, if you are sticking with free crawl. That forces people to move along.

If you are going to break it into groups, you might want to do it so that the judge runs with the same group on each of the 3 courses. Just make it so that the judge runs last. Maybe that can be your motivation to get people to help judging. It would force the group to move along.

I understand free crawl......and am fine with it at big events. It is hard on the club level if you only have 3-5 actual club members that are prepared to help run the comp......

You guys are trying to get recognized with under 15 actual SCRCC members that are actually interested in having comps. That is fine that you are using people you draw in from other areas to fill your numbers.......it does however force the active members to do the bulk of the work and does not allow you to run together.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I like what ryan said about splitting up into 3 groups randomly and putting a 5 min max a course can be open without a driver or it will be closed. Also the judge being the last one to go in the group or just have the judges run all 3 courses when everyone else is done. It could be done different ways, but in the end you will motivate people to judge if there is an advantage. there is my .02 cents plus tax
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
RCC Addict

One thing about having the judges run last together is that then there is an open 45-1hour while they run their courses before you can have the finals......
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Technically its the same thing either way...but if all three judges run together everyone could either choose to watch them run, run scalers, work on their comp rig, grab a bite to eat, take a nap, pick their nose, or whatever they choose to do. If each judge runs at the end of the group it still takes the same amount of time for them to run. I'm factoring in the fact that there is still a 5 minute limit for them to get on course so if they used up their 5 minutes that would account for the time necessary for the three of them to grab their rigs and get to their first course. This method would provide an extra bonus for being a judge. Not only do you get to run LAST, but you also get to work with guys that watched a lot of other drivers run the coures.

It's just a different way of coming up with the same conclusion kinda like this...[(5+5+5=15) * 3 =45 OR 15*3=45]

Most drivers will know by the time the judges get to run if they have a chance at being in the finals. If they do they'll hang around, if they know they didn't they would have the opportunity to leave 45 minute to an hour earlier.

Last edited by ittybitty; 02-28-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I will be glad to help, someone's got to teach me tho. You comp guys better look out...somebody's getting a moonbuggy
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i see alot of good ideas. here is another idea i came up with :

we have 6 guys who can judge.

ittybiity-ryan
m_energy-derrick
limited77-micheal
easleycrawler-travis
lowridinjuggalo-marcus
todbldz-todd (myself)

(*as we get more people learning the rules we can ask for volunteers and rotate them in and give a judge a comp off.)

my idea will use a judge and an assistant judge/time keeper per course. these 2 judges can rotate between keeping time and judging. with 2 judges per course there should not be any penalties missed as well. we can split the 6 of us randomly each comp and assign us to a course.

at tech have a drivers sheet(you can not sign up until you have passed tech) with the three groups with the judge listed at the top and a spot for 5 drivers per group. this will allow for up to 21 drivers and speed up people getting thru tech. as people tech they can sign up for a group. this way if some buddiies or a father/a son want to run together they can sign up for the same group.

EXAMPLE

group & course 1- ryan/derrick

1._____________
2._____________
3._____________
4._____________
5._____________

group & course 2- micheal/travis

1._____________
2._____________
3._____________
4._____________
5._____________

group & course 3- marcus/ myself

1._____________
2._____________
3._____________
4._____________
5._____________

when the group runs their 1st course, the running order will be the reverse of the sign up order. the next 2 course use the lowest to highest score from the previous course as the running order.

Last edited by TODBLDZ; 02-28-2011 at 04:17 PM.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote