Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Scale Lockeout Hubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Scale Lockeout Hubs?

Who's got them?
Thoughts? Quirks/Issues?

Got a set on the way for the TK/Blazer that should be here end of week.
Gonna build a full axle around them and swap it out with the one out of the kit.

Then the front axle currently installed will get a diamond pumpkin along with the r SSD axle I have and they'll be going in the box as I get ready to do a full out class 3 build. Think I'll get a Pheonix Tranny for it and go from there.

Anyways, was wondering if anyone else has a set and your thoughts.

The axle is going to be a near copy of the stock one with 2 differences.

Pro44 pumpkins with metal retainer rings, metal axle tubes, metal chubs etc. The 2 differences in the new axle going in will be the scale lock out hub setup, and installing the bass knuckles to add a bit of weight.

Did grab a set of +3 hexes with rotors for the rear as the lockout setup add a little width to the front. I wanted to match it on the rear. Should help stabilize it a bit as shes a bit top heavy with the Blazer body and then the roll cage.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Scale Lockeout Hubs?

Not exactly related to your question. But do I understand that you purchased a tf2/blazer? I’m currently debating buying the limited edition blazer while building my SSD Trail Finder. If no other reason, to have a compete building to base it off of and compare while building it. I’ve been having my kit for over a year now and it’s been kinda stale.
cleblancjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've got the locking hubs for my GK Knightrunner.

The install went a breeze. As for usage, they work really well. Although there has been a few instances where I've experienced 3wd (like breaking a stub axle in the 1:1 world). I'm thinking maybe add some type of grease to the threads to prevent it from unlocking, or even a thin thread lock.

Side note, one thing I was thinking of doing is to get a precision battery powered electric screwdriver and mount the hub tool on it for quick locking and unlocking.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblancjr View Post
Not exactly related to your question. But do I understand that you purchased a tf2/blazer? I’m currently debating buying the limited edition blazer while building my SSD Trail Finder. If no other reason, to have a compete building to base it off of and compare while building it. I’ve been having my kit for over a year now and it’s been kinda stale.
Just the Body. Installed in my TK build. I left the wb stock in the Tk, even though the Blazer is an 11.3wb. I wanted that Redneck puts Blazer on 2500HD Frame. lol

Thinking I nailed it pretty good.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
I've got the locking hubs for my GK Knightrunner.

The install went a breeze. As for usage, they work really well. Although there has been a few instances where I've experienced 3wd (like breaking a stub axle in the 1:1 world). I'm thinking maybe add some type of grease to the threads to prevent it from unlocking, or even a thin thread lock.

Side note, one thing I was thinking of doing is to get a precision battery powered electric screwdriver and mount the hub tool on it for quick locking and unlocking.
SSD stuff so far has been spot on. Didn't think these would be any different. Good to hear your set was on point.

Is it a bit of a bitch to lock/unlock them?
Otherwise. that maybe in idea.

I see SSD has a set of gold pieces they sell to make it a bit more 'blingy' I guess. lol

I'll have to wait to see what they look like once they get here.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
SSD stuff so far has been spot on. Didn't think these would be any different. Good to hear your set was on point.

Is it a bit of a bitch to lock/unlock them?

Otherwise. that maybe in idea.

I see SSD has a set of gold pieces they sell to make it a bit more 'blingy' I guess. lol

I'll have to wait to see what they look like once they get here.
It's really not a pain to lock/unlock as the bit is shaped to fit a wheel nut driver on it. I'm just overthinking it on my end.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
It's really not a pain to lock/unlock as the bit is shaped to fit a wheel nut driver on it. I'm just overthinking it on my end.
No. that never happens here. lmao
Old 03-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Touché. I lost the bit once also so it deserves at least it's own T wrench.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I haven't given my set a full run yet but no issues tooling around the yard.

You do have to turn it a number of rotations from locked to unlocked and I could see if you only turned it part of the way it might unlock on its own possibly. Although what may also being happening to Goro Majima is when locking the hub he hasnt aligned the inner spline. You'll notice that sometimes you turn the hub to lock it and it bottoms out too quickly, when this happens the inner splines have not lined up. Back it off a bit with the tool and spin the wheel by hand until it clicks in place (it will line itself up)

The amount of force required to turn this is very low, so low a tool or T handle isnt needed. Though a small T handle might be nice so its harder to lose the thing (I may design a handle to 3D print for it). I wouldn't mind having a second tool as well.

EDIT: theres a little bit of discussion going on at the end of this thread too:

SSD Manual Locking Hubs

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-07-2022 at 07:18 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

^ That makes sense. When it would loosen I would try to lock it back up without repositioning or lifting the rig and try to get outta the situation.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

so much like a 1:1, you still may need to drive forward/reverse a lil bit to get it to snap into and out of locked.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:23 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Kit arrived yesterday with a pair of +3 hubs and rotor for the rear. Those were pretty easy to do. Little bit of a bear getting the screws started as usual.

The Lockouts went together great. Though I did have a couple hiccups, one will be a bit of a bear to deal with at some point in the future I think.

1st hiccup on my part was I didn't get the one snap ring set and didn't realize it until I had it back together. I checked it, but not well enough I suppose. lol
So apart she came. Got that done. however, on my path to reassembly I stripped one of the small countersunks. Tried to get it out to replace it but it was being a bit of a bear so I decided to deal with it when I have to tear it back apart, at which time I'll to WTF, Oh ya, stripped it. lol
Otherwise the install was str8 forward, and they function just as the should. With the rear hubs/rotors it helps give it that extra scale bits for looks.

Wasn't sure if the turning radius was retained. Happy to say it was as seen in the 1st and last 2 pics.

Pretty easy assembly.
Swap alxes out. Lockouts going in.

Reinstall Knuckles.

install washer that comes with lockouts on outer knuckle bearing.

Install 9mm bearing in kit

Install Rotor

install larger bearing in rotor

Install Snap Ring ensuring it is clipped into the groove.

Install Spring (didn't get pics of these last couple steps... DERP.

Install Locker into Hub. Be sure to get it to drop into the slots to the face of the hub.

Use 6 countersunk screws included in kit and screw hub to rotor

Install Wheels (you'll have to remove the hexes, cross pins and f hubs on the wheels to use this dit besides the stock axles)
Bit of a trick getting the first 2 bolts started when installing the wheels, just press firmly with your allen driver and turn the screws into catch the threads being careful to be sure they are not cross threading. This is the trickiest part IMO.
Last 2 pics of the lock out assembly showing the retained turning radius after their install.

Rear hubs with rotors was simple. remove wheels
Remove hubs from wheels
Intall rotors in wheels. I used the original hub to support the bottom of the hub with rotors while starting the 6 wheel bolts into the hub.

Reinstall wheels.
I have the SSD Scale hub beauty rings on the rear wheels and am using the scale hubs locknuts to secure the wheels on the rear.

and done.

Now I just need a pair of metal diff retainers and I can take these parts and build a new front axle with diamond pumpkin for the lcg belly dragger cheater rig.

Should I stick with the straight axles, or add the portals to them for the lcg build once I settle on a chassis setup?
Old 03-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Did have the pics I thought I had missed of the assembly from the sprint on.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I can see why you guys are considering the plastic tool for the lockouts. I have an idea that should work for anyone, and keep the tool handy, yet on the rig.
Just need to test a few things out.

Scale Lockeout Hubs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ Scale 2.2 Robby Gordon Beadlocks: VP SLWs + FREE Scale Hubs! STANG KILLA SS Vendors Tires and wheels 141 01-26-2016 01:39 PM
Scale Aisin/Yota Style Hubs and Scale Rear Hubs V2 aka_boogo RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 03-15-2015 07:41 PM