Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Want to build a Super class crawler.. advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Want to build a Super class crawler.. advice

I want to build a super crawler. Are clod axles the only way to go or are there other options? I want to use a 40 series size wheel and tire. I know very little about building this size crawler so all the info I can get would be great. Thanks
bnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

search is your friend.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Search is my friend and I tried it but I found very little about supers other than a few people have them. Not really much info about them. That or I am not searching using the correct words
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I like the Traxxas Crawlers
Rockbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

lol.. I am leaning towards clod based unless there are other solid axle options
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

First off you can not go wrong with the TCS NN chassis.
Clod axles are a great starting point and with the addition of alum. tubes,knuckles and gears are extremely tuff.

If I were you I would seriously consider running XTM Thorn wheels. They are 4.5 inches in diameter VS. the 40 series that is 4 inches. The 40 series tires will stretch over the Thorn and gives you a shorter sidewall for support in the off camber spots with out sacrificing tire height.

Another suggestion I have for you is to volt up and gear down. If using clod axles 35t motors with 6 tooth pinions and 3 cell lipo works great and 45t and 7tooth pinions on three cell lipo is a good combo to.

I also would consider dual speed controls and a stick radio.Its not a must but for sure gives you total control over the rig.

I hope this helps.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i would say if you want to build a super go with clod axles.
if u can get a cfnn, i have one and it was what joesbruiser drove to be nats super class champ.

just search under CFNN and you will find alot
if not pm me

ya what he ^ said

Last edited by jeepcj578; 09-22-2008 at 08:41 PM.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.. that is awsome. I like both of those chassis.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Just build it strong,supers love breaking gear.Clod axles are the way to go,chassis as above and the strongest servos you can afford.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

There are a few different Axles you can Build a Super out of. Raptors, XTM's new one, Clods and TXT's... But the Clod is still the best choice, and the Cheapest. There is so much aftermarket support for it. You can build them up bullet proof. There are 5 or more Companies making Alumn Tubes, Knuckles, Gears, Pinions Etc.... but there is only one CVD that holds up. TTR's CVD's are the only way to go.

By the way XTM Thorns are hard to come by these days.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 AM   #11
RCC Addict

There is a lot of support and parts for the clod axles. If you do Clod axles, you wont be disapointed. Sound like the CFNN chasis is still going strong. I vouch for that chassis too.

Have fun building your super.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Is there a diffrence in the clod and super clod axle??
Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #13

i could do with some help on this subject as well. can someone tell me the dimensions as to where the links can be mounted as i plan on building a custom tube chassi and do you know any where i can get a set of the full axle or the RCP crawlers Stage 4 axle kit in the UK?
customcrawlerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Not to rain on the clod parade, but you may look at the strengths/advantages of other axles. An example is maxx axles have much more ground clearance for the center, but ususlly have higher C.O.G. On the other hand, as stated above, clod axles have a large aftermarket background but maxx axles are more make-them-yourself type. Also if you come across the term "clodstall" it refers to to the tires on one axle get bound up so the esc unloads the power to the tires that still turn. This is almost the effect of drving a shaft driven truck with an open differential between the front and back axles. Im not saying dont use clods, just make sure they match what you want. Hope your truck turns out good.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoland View Post
Is there a diffrence in the clod and super clod axle??
theres only one clod axle. what you are getting confused by, is that there is now a "mini-clod" modified clod axle that a few are running on 2.2 rigs... the mini-clod axle has shorter width axles (as opposed to the regular width used on super-class rigs).

clod axles are hands-down the best choice for a super at this time, you can make em bombproof!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Not to rain on the clod parade, but you may look at the strengths/advantages of other axles. An example is maxx axles have much more ground clearance for the center, but ususlly have higher C.O.G. On the other hand, as stated above, clod axles have a large aftermarket background but maxx axles are more make-them-yourself type. Also if you come across the term "clodstall" it refers to to the tires on one axle get bound up so the esc unloads the power to the tires that still turn. This is almost the effect of drving a shaft driven truck with an open differential between the front and back axles. Im not saying dont use clods, just make sure they match what you want. Hope your truck turns out good.
I have to agree and disagree at the same time. The clod stall is only avoidable with a stick radio and two speed controls. If you can afford that, do it. I do agree about maxx axles in a way. I like them because they are great for ground clearance, something clod axles need more of. Maxx axles are a do it yourself way of going super as well. I built my own set of high clearance super axles from steel. I am still working out some of the bugs but they hopefully will be awesome when totally finished.

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
theres only one clod axle. what you are getting confused by, is that there is now a "mini-clod" modified clod axle that a few are running on 2.2 rigs... the mini-clod axle has shorter width axles (as opposed to the regular width used on super-class rigs).

clod axles are hands-down the best choice for a super at this time, you can make em bombproof!

I believe he was reffering to the Tamiya Clodbuster and the Tamiya Super Clodbuster kits. And no, there is no difference in the axles between the Clod and Super Clods.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

im building a super class out of a nikko rc avalanche, its identical to the clod, removable axles, motor mounts on both, only problem is mine came with 2wd and one set of gears, so i have to order another, but overall for 40-60 bucks, its real nice, axles are amazing, if u know the thor, thats what im turning into a super clas, except i got a chevy version with 2wd, but its cool good luck
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=845

these little guys have great potential
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
but there is only one CVD that holds up. TTR's CVD's are the only way to go.
but no one have it in stock...
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote