Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: WarMachine's Super Rock Farce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomonkey RC View Post
Looks great Mike. Cant wait to see it up close. I like the all black look. I would think that some dark orange on those wheels would be sick. Catch ya later.
Won't be making it down to Omaha tomorrow after all. The transmission in the wife's Sante Fe started slipping between 2nd and 3rd, so I've got to get it in to the dealership ASAP....and of course, it's about 300 miles past warranty. Going to take it in the rear on this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulmt View Post
That is going to be a Bad Dude, what axles are you using? I am getting my Hustler soon and it has Clods with RCP upgrades? New at this so we will see how it goes. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks man
They are kyosho rock force axles.
Make sure you do a write up as you build your rig man, it's a great way to show what you can (or can't in my case) do, and get some advise/tips/suggestions along the way. Not to mention helping other people that may be looking for things to do to their own project(s).

I have to say the Hustler chassis and I have love/hate relationship. Has, and still does, show to be a proven setup that works well for alot of folks. Mine should be going under the cut off wheel soon for some rework of things that bug me about it.

Suggestions on the clod axles? I can only tell you what I run and what works for me. JP customs knuckles, Thundertech 8mm cvd shafts, Aluminum axle tubes, ball bearings all around, plastic gear case halves, Integy gears, HR adjustable motor mounts, and last but not least, hand (re-)wound 55t motors.

Good luck with it man, keep us posted!
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Lookin' good man, what wheel adapters are those?
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Wish I could tell ya who made them, I'd get another set. Picked them up in a package deal awhile back. I know they will fit on clod axles with 8mm shafts, but the pin size is way to small to put any power to. I've had them laying around with the intent of never using them, until now!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Picked a color scheme for it, will have to make some new body panels and what-not.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Just an update for what it's worth.

Have been running it around (read:carpet crawling) and learned a few things. Managed to quick fab up some aluminum body panels as well.

1. Stock steering servo mount will have to be upgraded, only holding a servo on by 2 screws = a lot of broken servo mounting ears. Who would have thought..... However, the BTA works good.

2. There is VERY little room in a Hustler chassis after you put in a tranny. Mind you I used the stock setup, can't see it working in this chassis with any other trans, unless it has = or < the same foot print.

3. 96t spur-13t pinion, 30:1 gears, crap 55t, and 7.2v = slow and under powered. Running it on 14.4v yielded good wheel speed and so-so power.

4. A crap 55t motor can let out a surprising amount of smoke.

5. Will have to try and make a front 4 link mount, using the plastic single link mount and spacing it over works, but there is far too much flex to be taken seriously.

6. Torque twist and the lack of Clod stall take some getting used to.

7. With the only real usable space in the Hustler eaten up by the tranny, finding good real estate for battery placement is going to be a pain in the arse. Can't beat it on the rocks with batteries velcro'd to the lid...

In all honesty, this project will probably be coming to a close in the near future. Might just keep it on the back burner, but can't see any other real progress being made any time soon.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Back burner, but not dead yet.