Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trucknuts SuperJuice Bully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Trucknuts SuperJuice Bully

I have been watching the super builds and thought it might be nice to have a super. When I found out RC4WD was coming out with a medium width Super Bully axle I bit the bullet and ordred up a set.

Build list

3 Medium Super bully axles (I wanted a spare axle in case I broke something)
2 Hitec 7950th servos. I swore I would never own a Hitec servo again, but they were on sale at Harbor Frieght and could not pass up the deal.
Tekin R1 pro esc. This was a left over from my sc10.
Punk Dig
CC BEC pro. Its big and beefy, and should hold its own against the 2 servos

And of course a Beetlejuice chassis.
The big suprise was the new wheels.

After asking every wheel maker to make some wheels, and either getting completely ignored, talked shit about, and told it was not gonna happen krawlfreak made it happen.

Oldgravyleg ( big thanks to Doug, the unsung hero who without his mad cad skills we might all be running KK chassis) went buckwild with his design skills and came up with this amazing wheel. And good old Krawlfreak reached into his very thick wallet and steppped up to have several sets of wheels made to get the price within grasp of a normal person, or maybe 6 normal people.

On to the build.

I started with the idea that I wanted a light super bully. I might have better luck finding bigfoot. But to keep things light, I went with Titanium lower links and Carbon fiber upper links. I had my OG berg shocks laying around and went with internal springs and 60 wieght oil. I am not sure how this will work, but I am gonna give it the old college try.

Wheelbase sets at 17.5 and drifts around .25" Nice and legal. She sits a bit tall, but I can always limit the shocks. They are pretty long. I want it to see some rocks before I start with the changes. I am still waiting on my Super HB Rovers. They, along with some foams are in the mail from Novasark. I tried to make tires, but to say they looked like they were made by a classroom full of toddlers would be a big diss to the toddlers abilities.

I went to work on a servo mount. I wanted it simple, and this is what I came up with. I drilled the stock upper link mount, and made a plate and bracket for the servo to sit on. It keeps it low enough to give it some protection, but out of the way for a nice and simple straight tie rod.

The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

great start,,like the wheels,,still waiting to hear back from those guys about the 4.5s,,keep the build going man,,
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not good to hear about your wheel troubles, did you buy chance try eritex? He fixed me up with some wicked one offs, but yours look great Have you modified the tubes and knuckles for more steer, or do the mediums not need that? What compound rovers are you going to run? Should be a great rig when it is done.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Not good to hear about your wheel troubles, did you buy chance try eritex? He fixed me up with some wicked one offs, but yours look great Have you modified the tubes and knuckles for more steer, or do the mediums not need that? What compound rovers are you going to run? Should be a great rig when it is done.

Kieren

Eritex never got back to me. I did open up the knuckles and tubes to get all the throw out of the newest cvd's. I thought they would come opened up, but they did not. And I have white rovers coming. I might get a set of Sedonas made pretty soon.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I made some tires last night out of a few sets of panthers I had around. Not to pretty, but they should work. for now.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Last update before I head out to some rocks. I figure I will need some extra weight up front. I set the links up to have the body sit forward of center. Also the battery is on the front links, and I hope to have my front servo plate cut out of brass or steel in the next week or so. But for now I had some washers I had made for another project that never came about. They are .25" steel. I drilled the centers out until they fit over the knuckles, and drilled tapped a 3mm hole for a keeper to help hold them on. Hopefully they don’t move, but they can't fall off, the wheel hex is larger than the knuckle so I should be good. They weighed in at 4 oz each, so an extra 8 ounces should help keep the front end planted. I run 12 on my 2.2 so I don't think 8 will be enough, but it gets me started anyway.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I like the wheels!!! Definitely one of kind.
metallocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

looks like you're off to a good start. now get your ass up here and comp the bitch.
ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

How tall did the 3.2" cougars come out to?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Couple of updates.

First thing. The Carbon Fiber steering links gave up ghost the first time the were hit. I was hoping they would work, but they are just to brittle to be out in the open.

Also the Tekin showed me the magic smoke dance that they are know for. $165 out the window for my R1pro. Swapped it out for a Mamba Max. With the updated software Castle has a contender for a crawler esc. Its a little bulky, but it keeps the smoke stored away for now anyway.

The biggest thing was the rear motor hanging up on everything. So out came the tools and I clocked the axle to give myself more room. I had to modify the steering a little, but hopefully I will hang up on less rocks.

I added another 6 ounces to the front with 2 more washers and a little stick on weights. This brings up her fighting weight to a dead even 9 pounds ready to run. About 1-1.5 heavier than I was hoping, but I am not sure where to shave any more weight. I am thinking the lighter machined case for the rear would save about 4 ounces according to rc4wd. I would probably be able to pull another 4 off the front to keep the front to back balance. That would still put me at over 8. Not sure where to go from here. I am hitting up the first comp in the morning as long as it does not rain. If it does, Krawlfreak will owe me one for getting up at 4am for no reason.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
RCC Addict

looks good. But you need to get rid of the gold shocks.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
looks good. But you need to get rid of the gold shocks.
Then what will match his shoes? :-P

Looks great man, lets see a pic of the whole rig RTR.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

That looks really good, those wheels are sweet!! How long are the shocks your running?
Mikeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That's looking pretty good ted. I'm just still waiting on the bullys.
Lil Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

How did the comp go? Any pics or better yet video?
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote