Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Torsion Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Torsion Question

My question is why do I not see any in here?
Has everyone forgot about them.
I know as a fact they can still be competitive look at how well "King" could have done with his if his body would have been legal.

I would like to here some opinions and Tech on why they seem to have faded.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

I just don't like the way they feel. They don't seem to climb like a 4 link.

For a Berg that is the best setup to get all your steering and ground clearance. The Berg super I had mocked up was using a Home Depot piece of C channel.

I ran a clod with a HD chassis for awhile, replaced the backbone many times, I guess I needed unobtainablioum.

What do you have in mind Joe?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

who knows, maybe Torsion was just a Fad, like the KK torsion chassis. I'm all about trying new things but after seeing firsthand how the torsion works, I'm not so sure that I'd trust it. Yes its simple, but almost too simple. No shocks, no tuning to a point. Torsion is easier to do on the supers because of the whole weight and leverage thing, unlike the 2.2's where there us just not enough weight and leverage to make torsion work well. People probably transferred that train of thought over to Supers now, thinking that they wont work well But maybe they are missing the concept of physics and geometry I think. There are just so many good TVP chassis out there now, that people have likely forgot about the torsions. I'd be willing to do a stick torsion super if I had a super class that ran here in Indiana.

The simple nature of the Stick/torsion is very interesting in the fact that a rigid piece of steel can allow a crawler to get all sorts of flex, but the other side of that is the unpredictable nature of that flex. The backbones can weaken over time and the amount and consistency of the articulation may vary causing undesirable effects.

Last edited by jcboof; 02-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I just don't like the way they feel. They don't seem to climb like a 4 link.

For a Berg that is the best setup to get all your steering and ground clearance. The Berg super I had mocked up was using a Home Depot piece of C channel.

I ran a clod with a HD chassis for awhile, replaced the backbone many times, I guess I needed unobtainablioum.

What do you have in mind Joe?
The only thing I have in mind is clearing everything On these medium axles.And not having to run a set of Spacers killing the whole point of using the mediums.

You can get a link past the motor no Problem But you have to triangulate the lowers big time to get the steering then you start running into motor clearance Issues again.
Patrick where you at worlds and get a chance to watch Jake's Super work?
I started out with a Pimpcane back in the day and may build another one to get me through until I can work a link suspension out.It will be on a stick radio so I can control the flex and how it loads.About the only time it will bite you in the ass is down hill off camber.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

Yup I watched Jake's pretty much through every course, it cleaned every course like it was nothing. There was a few times it got springy like a torsion does but all in all I would have to say it worked quite well. I was just reading the thread on it, pretty simple but effective setup! Expensive axles though!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Pimp cane style tortion is still one of the best setups for a superclass rig IMHO.....I have one sitting here to swap out on my berg super once i am done messing with the Zero T chassis. My only complaint is with the more rock racing style format of comps is that it isnt the most user friendly set-up in time trouble.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Yup I watched Jake's pretty much through every course, it cleaned every course like it was nothing. There was a few times it got springy like a torsion does but all in all I would have to say it worked quite well. I was just reading the thread on it, pretty simple but effective setup! Expensive axles though!

Thanks for the reply.I need to go look his thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraymond View Post
Pimp cane style tortion is still one of the best setups for a superclass rig IMHO.....I have one sitting here to swap out on my berg super once i am done messing with the Zero T chassis. My only complaint is with the more rock racing style format of comps is that it isnt the most user friendly set-up in time trouble.
Being able to run courses fast is going to be a big issue.If your not carefull it would not be hard to get tossed around.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Jake was using titanium. Maybe it has better "memory" than typical C channel aluminum?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i saw this thing in action as well and it tore the courses up! with that said it did have a few times that it was a bit springy, but it never really wadded itself up.

i think jake just really knew how to manipulate it.

also there were not very many steep climbs at worlds that i remember, so i can't comment on how well it would climb.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well i built one.
It only took about 2-3 hours and thats taking the axles apart clearancing the tubes and knuckles,Lubing everything up and thread locking all the tubes.
I do not see it being my Super to compete with but You never know.

I guess I need to do a low buck super build thread.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

how much GC does running a tvp get you? also thinking of building some type of a motor guard for my clod axles. is everyone just building their own?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

im working a torsion chassis right now based off of JPCustomRcs.com Havoc chassis...thanx Run2Jeepin... shameless plug aside, the havoc is a cool combination of a 4 link and a torsion chassis. i will be doing a build thread as soon as i get the time to start on the thing. got all my material just need the AF life to calm down a little.:?
Super Woody is offline   Reply With Quote