Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 40 series LOW PRO ROVERS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 40 series LOW PRO ROVERS

Wasn't sure if this should go here or tires, but i prefer this newer section. I have been trying to put together the clod axles, just cause i cant get the dough for super bullys.
I didnt like the sidewall height of the moab xl's and preferred the regular moab 40's.
So i had these sitting around and thought i would try this. It's pretty low but i think i like it. Any one else ever tried anything like this? Any success? And what downsides do you guys see i will run into when i finish this rebuild?
These are on Narrowed cheyenne's

xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What the hell did you do? Is that a 2.2 tire stretched over a 40 series rim?
J Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

HA no I didn't stretch a 2.2 tire, i did that age old super crawler tradition and cut a tire.

hopefully that explains it a little bit more. they SHOULD sidehill really well. But time will tell
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Does the bead ring hold the tire without a tire bead? Low profile tires allow for softer foams without the huge sidehill effect of a large sidewall tire, but I think this may be an extreme of that principle. I like the idea, but would want a bit more sidewall. Maybe the same OD but on a 3.7 LPR Truggy rim?

I would guess they will still work pretty well, only issues being that you get rim to rock contact often. Not allowing for the tire to "hook" ledges and such. But who knows, run them and report back.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

What you need to do is grind some groove into the ring so they act as your side lugs...lol
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Does the bead ring hold the tire without a tire bead? Low profile tires allow for softer foams without the huge sidehill effect of a large sidewall tire, but I think this may be an extreme of that principle. I like the idea, but would want a bit more sidewall. Maybe the same OD but on a 3.7 LPR Truggy rim?

I would guess they will still work pretty well, only issues being that you get rim to rock contact often. Not allowing for the tire to "hook" ledges and such. But who knows, run them and report back.
On these particular wheels it seems to hold very well, I agree this is a total extreme situation of minimal sidewall. But, its what i was messing around with and could make work with what i had.
I Still have 2 wheels to narrow so i am thinking i will make them narrower than the wheels in the picture so i can get a little more sidewall than run those in the front.