Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Bully Second Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Super Bully Second Attempt

Ok I was not happy with my first build so here is the second one.I have a feeling that there will be a 3rd attempt soon.This truck works pretty decent but I want a little longer lower and upper link.I am going to wait for my wheels to show up and try A set of narrowed Panther Super Soft PlowBoys before I make the final decision on taking this rig apart.

Short poor quality vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSg6NGCkHjQ
I use
Twin sidewinders
Twin Holmes hobbies 1300Mah 3 cells
Twin 35T Integy lathe motors
DX6I
Kamikaze Proto chassis
1/2 in delrin lower links
3/8 delrin upper links.
Traxxas Big bore shock. Not the long ones the step down from them
7950 front servo
7955 rear servo
Single CC BEC @6 volts

I should get another 7950 in the morning and another CC Bec and setup both at 7 volts so this thing will turn.
The rig needs a lower gear and a little slower motor.This thing will flat out fly for a crawler.But it is a ton of fun being able to jump and speed roll

I was having some issues getting the links around the motor and still clear the tires when you turn with the stock lower link mounts so I just made a set of lower link mounts so I could put the links where I wanted them.

joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What rod ends are those? Kinda scale looking.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Hateraide

watched the video and this thing has some balls and the sid walling is awesome great work and clean
Cody
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
What rod ends are those? Kinda scale looking.
There RC4WD.They have a 4mm shank and except a 3mm screw.They are not mine there Jeff's he let me use them to get in going.They are a little shorter than a Revo end so I am going to them and trimming the links some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
watched the video and this thing has some balls and the sid walling is awesome great work and clean
Cody
Thanks
It is fast for sure but not as much torque as I would like.I need the new gear boxes.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

Looks alot better Joe. The active suspension is way better than torsion, I guess that why people faded from it.

How long is the skid? Or should I say chassis, from front lower link mount to rear lower link mount.

And holey speed demon, that thing is fast!!

And needs wider tires ;)
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Looks alot better Joe. The active suspension is way better than torsion, I guess that why people faded from it.

And holey speed demon, that thing is fast!!

And needs wider tires ;)
Its a Super rock racer

I am going to go as wide as I can without getting into the links.I think I can get at least another half inch of tire width .
There is about 5-5.5 I do not remember will have to check from eye to eye at the skid.
I think it is about the same as your Coperhead.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hello,

what do you like more, 4 link thing or torsion flab?

...35T with 38:1 gear ratio is way to fast for me

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
Hello,

what do you like more, 4 link thing or torsion flab?

...35T with 38:1 gear ratio is way to fast for me

Greetings Frank

They both have there ups and downs.

I run 35's and 40T motors on my bergs so I am use to that.Just when you add the extra tire height it does get a little weak on the low end.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Just from looking at the vid It doesnt look like the Leapords like a super near as much as your "old" plowboys and meatgrinders.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

...in due to the larger tires on a super you have much more speed than a 2.2 has. I've seen a couple of vids which are showing your driving skills, massive respect, there is a lot of practice we have to do in Germany...

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Just from looking at the vid It doesnt look like the Leapords like a super near as much as your "old" plowboys and meatgrinders.
Yeah there is no comparison between the leopards and the Super Soft tires I was running on my clod.
I am starting to think I am going to build a 16 inch Maxx wheel rig with the plow boys. It would be allot less work.
I just can not get anything to fall in line like I want.
When I made it home from today's 2.2 comp that I got my but kicked at my LPR wheels where here and the plowboy on a 4 inch wheel just is not as tall as I thought it would be.

I wonder if I am getting a little burnt out or something.
I do not like working on my rigs lately and I rush through comps to get done and come home.I may need to take a little brake.With me not working I run and work on trucks 6-7 hours a day.That's just to much I think
Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
I do not like working on my rigs lately
I hear ya.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I wonder if it is because you had so much success with your old rig that any new one will just not feel right. I personally hate change. Even moving into something that should be better than my old stuff I can't get used to the new stuff. I say give it some time.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
I wonder if it is because you had so much success with your old rig that any new one will just not feel right. I personally hate change. Even moving into something that should be better than my old stuff I can't get used to the new stuff. I say give it some time.

I am sure you are correct 100%
I am not one for change hell like on my 2.2 . I have several really good steering kits here but i just keep running stock steering because i know it works.May not be the best but it works.Same on chassis with it.I really want to try a moon buggy but I am still sticking with my same setup I have been running from the start of 08.
The new Super will never be my old truck even if it is truly better.I just need to find a spot that feels decent and learn to drive it and I am sure I will do fine with it.

On that note I did get a tire that I think I can work with this morning.The issue I was having with the tires being to short with the LPR wheels was my D.A. was cutting them to small So they were a tight fit on the wheel.I played around with a set of old meat grinders and have it figured out now.
I will make some plow boys tonight maybe.All I need to do now is cut about 1/2-3/4 of W.B. out of the truck and I think I will be moving in the correct direction.I should have known better than come home from a comp 3 hours away and start working on rigs.

A few pics.
It is 13.25 wide with a 6 3/8 tire with weight on it that is 3 inches wide.I have full steering right as the tire hits the link so I should be good.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you found the sweet spot on those tires, right height, not too wide, not too skinny.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Looks like you found the sweet spot on those tires, right height, not too wide, not too skinny.

I hope so!!!!!!
I am going to go run it in a few so I will know a little more.
But I know I can not go any wider or taller on the tire without spacing the wheels out that for sure.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Boy I must say the wheels and tires where a big step in the right direction.

Between having some tire on the ground and the extra weight the rig climbs and just all around feels better.The only down fall to that weight is less power.But as long as you are not in rough stuff you do not notice it.
It should get better with some knuckle weights and loose the added weight to the front wheels.
I was at about 8lbs before the wheels and tires and the difference with the new wheels,tires,and foams put me a little over 9lbs.
I think one of the things that was making me have issues with this thing was how light it was.I am use to a 13lb rig and the 8lb rig just felt like it was bouncing and hoping all over the place.At Least I think that is what the issue was.:?

Today's testing sure upped my hopes for getting a competitive Super together for ECC.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #18
WOOPOOW!!

Looks good Joe! What foams are you running in those meat grinders? Im trying to decide if I want to get some plow boys or meat grinders..
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

2.2 panther Mem. foam with a section added. I think it takes 1 and a half foams. I then have a piece of stiff foam on the sides to fill the bubble on the side wall.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #20
WOOPOOW!!

Do you think the same setup would work with some plow boys? I think i have 8 stock panther foams and some misc foams laying around. Thanks for the info
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote