Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First Super

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Default First Super

well after browsing the pictures and drooling over all these cool rigs i finally decided to pull the trigger and build my first super. I picked up a roller from a member of my local club

but now i realize that i may be in over my head and need a little help. For the controls i am going to go with a Futaba 4PK but nows where i need some help. Do I need to run dual speed controls or can i run one with a Punk RC dig and which setup do you think is better? When running dual esc's can you run both off of one battery? And on the steering side of things can one bec handle 2 servos or do i need to run two? sorry for all the questions but like i said i am a complete noob at all of this
FruitaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Im going to be running a 4PK, 1 esc, Punk, 2 hi-torqueservos and 2 bec's. I was told you cant run 2 escs and have rear steer with a 4PK because the 2nd channel is always hot for the esc.
Im using 2 esc's in my berg and using channels 3 and 4 for the esc's.
Hope this helps.
Hoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can run a single speed control with the Punk dig or run dual speed controls. Personally, I prefer dual speed controls for the Super due to the greater potential for motor stall (which is over come by dialing in the controlers individually).

Yes, you can run both ESC's off of a single battery.

It may not be necessary, but with the demands of today's high end servos I use 2 Castle Creations BECs. Each servo having it's own BEC.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i have also ran dual esc's with decent luck but had a tough time finding a "true " rear dig. i now run a single esc with a dig and it works great.

likw SVEN said you definitly want to run two bec's running off the battery.
storminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I noticed the super was gone off of Gary's shelf. Nice to see it is going to be put to use

If you are wanting to run it with front and rear dig with the control of the 4ws, than I would suggest using the Punk dig. You can do it with dual ESCs, but it is harder to run with the 4PK. I have ran both, so I am not just saying it.

I am running both my TG servos off one BEC and it doesn't even get warm. But I will say that when the new bigger Hitec servos come out I will be running 2 BECs.

If you need help setting up the 4PK or have any question on your new set up, just contact me. You still have my # right
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I run a castle creations BEC pro straight to both steering servos (it has 2 outputs and has been working great on my hitec 7950's set at 7 volts) You can use the ESC's internal BEC to power everything else

Here's a link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYCA6
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You can run 2 servos off one bec, you can run single ESC w/punk dig Or Dual esc.

SIngle esc with punk is prolly the easiest way to go.

I personally run Dual ESC.
If your gonna run dual ESC then either set it up with just chan 2&3 mixed for trigger controlled front digs and set the big push button to activate the 3rd channel for rear dig "bursts"
OR
Get a novak dual ESC dig....THis is what i am useing now. It doesnt have quite the degree of control in mixing the clodstall as the 4pk settings, but if you adjust your ESC's to what you want most of the time it isnt any problem.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run just one ESC, one BEC and a 3channel TQ3 tx and rx. I dont have a lot of roon in my Super chassis so thats why i run the single ESC and BEC. If you got the room to run dual ESCs....then go for it
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote